Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
I wonder if that's what happened to mine. I had a 267 dollar charge from a Fashion store in China, and two random hotels across the US. Luckily I caught it quick and canceled the card before anything else went thru...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

· Registered
256 Posts
Anyone have good advice on how to prevent this (minus never ordering anything online). What about using only prepaid debit cards for online ordering? That way you could only lose what's on the card

I have a PayPal debit cad linked to my regular checking account, that's what gt hacked for me. I have a 600$ limit per day set so that gives me some protection, but I want more.

Also, I suggest everyone has a backup debit card in a separate account because depending on your bank, you can be without a debit card for up to two weeks while they send your new one. Paypal had mine here in less than a week and were great about immediately refunding the fraud charges. (Yes I know PayPal still sucks for their anti gun views)

If someone has any advice I would appreciate it.

· Registered
256 Posts
Yeah those pending charges really suck, because they can't do anything until the charge comes thru. Also, depending on how MCAFEE runs their charges, the final amount may still go thru your account even though the card is canceled. Its really frustrating.
I wonder if they ever catch the people that do this? Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to track them down, but maybe they are good at covering their tracks.
I had two pending charges for luxury hotels on this fraud incident and I was really nervous they would end up being really big amounts. Even though I knew I would get the money back, it still had me worried. Luckily the pending charges expired after a few days and the final amount never went thru. I canceled the card the minute I saw the first suspect charge, but they said the pending ones would probably still go through.
What a pain!!

· Registered
256 Posts
I've always had good customer service from Wideners ONCE I actually get ahold of them....which can take forever.

If they know about this and haven't warned everyone who ordered in the time period in question, that's not only disappointing, its enough to never give them a dime again.

People in this thread seem to be lucky and caught it early, but not everyone will....

Weak.

· Registered
256 Posts
I did some reading, and yes most places have the sake fraud protection now. But I can see where it would be much less of an inconvenience to have a credit card hacked vs a debit card (IF its directly linked to your main checking account)

Paypal had my money refunded within ten minutes of calling to report the charge. They had me a new card in a week.

Luckily this wasn't my banks debit card, because YES they would have immediately and 100% refunded all charges and any resulting overdraft, but I would have had to go without access to the money for possibly up to two weeks and have to set any auto debits and deposits up with the new account

So, I'll be using a credit card from now on. Even the linked PayPal card could have gotten me in trouble if they would have charged several charges on different days less than $600 each (I had a max set)

· Registered
256 Posts
I'm thinking the way to order from Wideners from now on, is to go to WalMart or something and get a prepaid debit card in the amount of whatever you're buying. No risk of losing money because there won't be any on the card after you make the purchase. Use it, toss it after you receive your goods.

I think I'm going to start doing that for a lot of my online buying. I buy everything but groceries online basically, so I need to be more careful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.