Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people buy 5.45 and 7.62 from Wideners, there system has been hacked and almost everyone who has made a purchase in the last month, is having charges show up on their cards. The largest one that has been mentioned $7500, so if you are a Wideners customer you should look into this.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
This is getting way too common. Most vulnerable are debit cards, and you have few protections from charges with them if you don't get it in time. But all the credit card issuers seem hinky, and Chase, our Visa issuer, will call and email if there's a purchase out of the ordinary. They'd NEVER approve a $7500 one without authorization unless it was something I did a lot.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup there is a lot of talk about it in the AK ammo section of ar15.com, I bet there are over 15 guys that have been hit there. Seems most have been delt with by the CC company which is good. They were saying that they will charge a $4 test charge and if it goes through they will charge a larger one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wonder if that's what happened to mine. I had a 267 dollar charge from a Fashion store in China, and two random hotels across the US. Luckily I caught it quick and canceled the card before anything else went thru...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Anyone have good advice on how to prevent this (minus never ordering anything online). What about using only prepaid debit cards for online ordering? That way you could only lose what's on the card

I have a PayPal debit cad linked to my regular checking account, that's what gt hacked for me. I have a 600$ limit per day set so that gives me some protection, but I want more.

Also, I suggest everyone has a backup debit card in a separate account because depending on your bank, you can be without a debit card for up to two weeks while they send your new one. Paypal had mine here in less than a week and were great about immediately refunding the fraud charges. (Yes I know PayPal still sucks for their anti gun views)

If someone has any advice I would appreciate it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
558 Posts
I purchased from them on 6 March. I saw another alert like this yesterday and checked my card, but there was no suspect activity. This afternoon I checked and voilla, there was a charge for $1.00 to MCAFEE. Strange thing, I haven't purchased anything from MCAFEE in about 10 years and there was no way that it was me.

I called the CC company and told them what was going on. They said there was nothing they could do because the charge was only "pending," so I made her speak to someone in the Fraud department and then they cancelled the card. I need to call Wideners tomorrow!

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
i purchased a swiss k11 from them over a year ago. I do not believe i purchased anything from them in the past 6months. Ive been monitoring my account since hearing about this. So far so good.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah those pending charges really suck, because they can't do anything until the charge comes thru. Also, depending on how MCAFEE runs their charges, the final amount may still go thru your account even though the card is canceled. Its really frustrating.
I wonder if they ever catch the people that do this? Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to track them down, but maybe they are good at covering their tracks.
I had two pending charges for luxury hotels on this fraud incident and I was really nervous they would end up being really big amounts. Even though I knew I would get the money back, it still had me worried. Luckily the pending charges expired after a few days and the final amount never went thru. I canceled the card the minute I saw the first suspect charge, but they said the pending ones would probably still go through.
What a pain!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
To be safe I cancelled my card. I have had a few where they try some western union transfers and my card company has caught it and stopped my card but then I tried to send some money to my wife when she was in Russia through western union and they have stopped that also. Whenever I trael outside the US I call first and tell them where I am going and what card I will be using or they will freeze my card in a heart beat..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, what a coincidence. I'm glad I found this thread. Bought a case of x54r from Widener's on 3/7. It was shipped and my card was charged on 3/14.
On 3/21 I happened to check my account and there it was. Someone charged 5 tickets on Quatar Airlines on that day,.... Almost $7000.

I called, then went to my bank to report it. Had to wait until the charges went through (they were 'pending') which they did today, 3/24. I cancelled my card. What a PITA, now I have to wait for a new card.
I've been doing business with Widener's for many years. I emailed them last Friday about what happened, but I guess they don't want to reply to me.
Man oh man, Widener's needs to step up and address this to their customer base.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've always had good customer service from Wideners ONCE I actually get ahold of them....which can take forever.

If they know about this and haven't warned everyone who ordered in the time period in question, that's not only disappointing, its enough to never give them a dime again.

People in this thread seem to be lucky and caught it early, but not everyone will....

Weak.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got the same "eblast" sale ad.
I also found similar Widener's stories on ar15.com/ ak47, and their GD forum.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/154473_credit_card_stolen_after_purchase_at_wideners.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1605693_credit_card_stolen_after_purchase_at_wideners.html

No need to actually read them, but it's echoing what's been said here, that soon after a purchase at Widener's, their cards were used for fraudulent purchases.
Some banks, quite a few actually, catch the fraud, some don't. Mine is one that doesn't monitor for fraud.

The problem, as I see it, is if people don't have an AK or SKS, they wouldn't have looked here to get a 'heads up' before buying from Widener's. Pretty sure they'll clean their own house, or whoever processes their cards, but until then, many hundreds of people are still getting screwed.

The few that have gotten thru on the phone to them have been told, "Well, there's no problem here."
Accept responsibility for your actions and fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This is getting way too common. Most vulnerable are debit cards, and you have few protections from charges with them if you don't get it in time. But all the credit card issuers seem hinky, and Chase, our Visa issuer, will call and email if there's a purchase out of the ordinary. They'd NEVER approve a $7500 one without authorization unless it was something I did a lot.
My card was put on hold since I ordered a $100 item on Walmart.com, so surprising that card wasn't put on hold.

Who orders online with a debit card? It is a widely broadcasted fact that debit cards are not safe online

·
Registered
73 Posts
OK guys, let's not go off on a tangent about CC vs DC. Nowadays debit cards from major institutions enjoy the exact same protections as credit cards. It's been this way for a few years now. You can check with your bank or card issuer to check their policies.
Case in point; My Mastercard CC/DC can be used as either a credit card or debit card, and it's protected. The main difference is that you don't make small monthly payments. The whole purchase comes out of your account in one lump.

This thread, mainly, is to document users whose cards were compromised after making an on-line purchase from this vendor.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts