Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curios. Why do so many people want a single action only revolver? As a double action can fired in single also. Is there a difference between the two when fired in single? I can understand collecting old guns that where made in single only, but with newer guns I don't see the advantage.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
Why SAO revolvers? Mainly, I think nostalgia. And that is the driving force behind Cowboy Action Shooting as best i can tell. Which accounts for some (a lot) demand

Also, a single action has an action that is simpler and accordingly less likely to get out of order in use.

There is essentially no difference in a DA and an SA when fired single action.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At least in old west style single actions, most likely because you are holding and or shooting a bit of history. In other words Walther PPKs did not win the West. Don't get me wrong..I own two Walthers and love them. It's just not the same feel! But be aware, old (or new) single action revolvers weigh a ton! My Cimarron Arms Doc Holiday Special in 45 Colt weighs in at 2 1/2 pounds UNLOADED. But it's one of only 500 made, so only 499 other people in the world own one. That makes it pretty special to me!

Unkei

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
Just curios. Why do so many people want a single action only revolver? As a double action can fired in single also. Is there a difference between the two when fired in single? I can understand collecting old guns that where made in single only, but with newer guns I don't see the advantage.
When i first got into firearms and revolvers i felt the same. Until i got my first.. and then before i knew it i had 3. So this what i can sum up from what i have learned from my experience:

1. History that you can shoot

2. Saves on ammo

3. More involved in the shooting and reloading process

4. Did i mention fun?

5. They are down right beautiful

6. Why not?

7. The feel of a Single action.. it doesn't get replicated in a swing out DA.

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
One other thing that was not mentioned. I have been shooting for some 50 years. Lately I have thought about it, and may have over rationalized on why I need a single action. In all those years I could probably count on one hand the times I have fired my double action revolvers in double action. I have always shot them in single action because I like to hit what I aim at. I realize that with loads of practice I might get decent in firing double action, but why bother?

·
100,657 Posts
One other thing that was not mentioned. I have been shooting for some 50 years. Lately I have thought about it, and may have over rationalized on why I need a single action. In all those years I could probably count on one hand the times I have fired my double action revolvers in double action. I have always shot them in single action because I like to hit what I aim at. I realize that with loads of practice I might get decent in firing double action, but why bother?
Indeed. And it ain't as if it takes a lot longer to flick that hammer back.

It is, perhaps, instructive to consider the days when bullseye was shot with revolvers pretty exclusively (some of the rich guys had Match-Target Colt Woodsman autos for the .22 stage). Both Clot and S&W offered SAO versions of their DA target revolvers, and those were really nice guns in terms of the way the actions felt.

·
Banned
89 Posts
the single action hammer fall of a DA revolver is MUCH faster (ie, less likely to miss with) than that of the SA revolver. The DA's, tho, have a cylinder crane that is problematical to get in alignment with the frame (and keep that way). those cranes are very, very easily bent if the gun is dropped to a hard surface. The SA's butt is easily snapped off of the frame, too, if you try to use sugh a pistol as a club.

·
Silver Bullet Member
127 Posts
Don't know how relevant this is... My first handgun was a Harrington & Richardson .22 (DA/SA). I learned how to shoot accurately using single action, having determined that double action was good mostly for making noise. Several SAA style revolvers later, I have finally made the switch to semiauto handguns - but not to DA only models. Old dogs and I have that much in common; new tricks come hard.

·
100,657 Posts
the single action hammer fall of a DA revolver is MUCH faster (ie, less likely to miss with) than that of the SA revolver. The DA's, tho, have a cylinder crane that is problematical to get in alignment with the frame (and keep that way). those cranes are very, very easily bent if the gun is dropped to a hard surface. The SA's butt is easily snapped off of the frame, too, if you try to use sugh a pistol as a club.
Odd. none of my side-swing revolvers have that problem. Nor have i ever seen an SA with the grip frame broken off, though i have seen a number with the bottom pretty battered from being used to hit things. But - I've only been handling guns and shooting for around 55 years, so experience is pretty limited.

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
Odd. none of my side-swing revolvers have that problem. Nor have i ever seen an SA with the grip frame broken off, though i have seen a number with the bottom pretty battered from being used to hit things. But - I've only been handling guns and shooting for around 55 years, so experience is pretty limited.
Been shooting revolvers a tad less than fifty years. Agree with Clyde and defer to his experience. Perhaps the folks I have been around prefer using an ax handle to hit someone over the head. Never seen a problem with the cylinder crane in Colts or Smith's, and have never seen a single action with the grip busted off. But I do agree with faster lock time on most D.A. revolvers.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
I'll defer to Clyde and JJames since I acquired my first single-action revolver 44 years ago.

I find that the majority of single-actions have much better natural pointing ergonomics compared to many double actions. I have also found them more accurate, at least in my hands, than most double-actions. I've used both for handgun hunting and still prefer the single-action. I've carried both as sidearms in Africa as a back-up and for that application, I settled on an SP101 double-action based on weight.

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
I'll defer to Clyde and JJames since I acquired my first single-action revolver 44 years ago.

I find that the majority of single-actions have much better natural pointing ergonomics compared to many double actions. I have also found them more accurate, at least in my hands, than most double-actions. I've used both for handgun hunting and still prefer the single-action. I've carried both as sidearms in Africa as a back-up and for that application, I settled on an SP101 double-action based on weight.
No need to defer, sir. My first was a double action H&R Sidekick .22 I inherited when I was about ten. I expect that is the major reason for my high frequency hearing loss now. And, if I had had any sense at the time it would of broke me from shooting. As far as ergonomics, a single action does indeed seem to be better,

·
100,657 Posts
I've seen several of both, so obviously your experience is lacking. try dropping a few of your DA onto concrete, a few times, see what happens. :)
I'll pass on the intentional dropping, I think. I should say, that when I was in the Army as a maintenance officer, we had some airplane drivers turn 38 S&W revolvers in that had gone out of order. Main cause? Ever watch a movie where somebody flicks a revolver open to check the loads, then snaps it shut? Can bend the crane that way, for true.

I had three cases where a cop used a K-frame Smith to subdue an arrestee. Bloody mess (heads bleed a lot), no harm to the gun. Cylinder closed and locked up is resistant (but not immune if mistreated repeatedly and persistently, i'm sure) to bending the crane.

·
Banned
89 Posts
i had a M60 2" fall to the concrete, bent the crane so badly that the cylinder would barely cycle. they bend so easily that if you open the action, and have strong hands, you can twist the crane enough that the cylinder can't go back into the frame. I watched Louie Seman do this in a demo, back in the early 70's, in ILL. He is the one that got the IsP to go to the M39. He had an off duty state cop bust a bank robber over the head with a 2" dick special, and bent the crane so badly that the cylinder couldn't turn.

·
100,657 Posts
i had a M60 2" fall to the concrete, bent the crane so badly that the cylinder would barely cycle. they bend so easily that if you open the action, and have strong hands, you can twist the crane enough that the cylinder can't go back into the frame. I watched Louie Seman do this in a demo, back in the early 70's, in ILL. He is the one that got the IsP to go to the M39. He had an off duty state cop bust a bank robber over the head with a 2" dick special, and bent the crane so badly that the cylinder couldn't turn.
Why would you want to open a cylinder and then try to damage it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
A single action, 45 Colt or 44 Spl, is my ranch gun, as it was for my father, his father and his father. They're dependable tools, and I can't imagine using anything else. I like guns, and have different kinds, but they're fun guns - not workers. The first gun I ever shot was a single action Colt. My son's first gun was a Colt. This Christmas, my grandson will receive his first Single action. It's a family tradition based on logic. Nothing would make me happier than to be buried with my SAA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.