Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Somebody wanted it badly. Since Wake Island was bypassed by the US forces during WWII the rifle should have seen little use. It shows some significant handling wear.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Perhaps the box is worth 1200.00 or more as the rifle is nothing special in condition or rarity. $2000 could have been better spent on something in excellent condition or something that is rare. Obviously, this rig is "worth" that much to atleast two people

·
Registered
977 Posts
well, that would be me. I bid the minimum expecting to be out bid, but no other takers. probably overpaid by 2 or 3 hundred but I've done worse. I will open the letter and post the stuff here. oh, don't forget the sling.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,126 Posts
I think the purchaser got a beautiful grouping worth every penny of the price paid. There's a big difference between paying retail for a desirable piece and the more common occurrence of internet fools paying three, four or five times retail for common or flawed trash.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
not trying to belittle to buyer but the question still remains here. why, exactly is this rig worth $2000? i too have purchased mint rifles in bring back crates for less, so I'm curious what makes this worth so much? is it the sealed paperwork? for example, i purchased a mint mexican 38, and a mint Nagoya 38 ammunition velocity test rifle in a bring back crate for the same amount a couple years ago when the market was much better. Im not as heavily into this stuff as i was then, but the market took a huge hit on C&R stuff in the last two years and all prices fell. I'm not trying to be a dick, i am just trying to understand what set this grouping apart from others in better condition that sell/sold for less.

·
Registered
977 Posts
well, I could have done worse, like that bringback off-date(whatever that means) 94 pistol w/papers that went for 1700.00 a few weeks ago. the monpod appears to have the correct proof mark in the correct place for this series rifle and it does look like the foot has left the typical impression in the stock. the rifle by itself would go for around 500-600 by gunbroker prices. the sling, not sure, 175.00? bayonets probably 75.00 each? bringback paper adds to price of rifle as long as the serial number of the rifle is listed on the paperwork. so without the box on a good day on gunbroker probably a grand. add the shipping crate, which I have absolutely no idea value, lets say 500, I think 1200 might be high and you get 1500+/- a couple hundred. also, I have not seen something like this offered in years on gunbroker. it would have gone higher had the seller not started out so high on this one. in fact I have noticed that auctions that start out with a high starting price, regardless of value/rarity, scare off most bidders while those that start low, and are quality items invariably generate a crazy bidding war where someone usually takes it up the shorts!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While it is a neat item. I do not think the crate adds 500 plus to the price. It's not my money so it doesn't matter. I thought 1500 would have been big money. I would leave the envelope sealed also. If you open it and it does not contain the proper bring back documentation your value takes a hit.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

·
Banned
6,846 Posts
I remember years ago ,at The Great Western Show, a pile of little plates that said , "Property Of MGM" and "Wells Fargo & Co". What would it take to make up plates and tack them to the stocks of battle damaged rifles ?? Steam the letter open and see what it says. If it says "Wake island", you have a winner.If not ,re-seal the envelope.
As an added note, the Wake Island ,reminded me of a reunion of theADBC, [American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor], where an old guy in a USMC jacket, said he was the only Marine ,he knew ,who fought in WW2 and never fired a shot in anger at the enemy. He said that he was on Wake Island and ,was low man and there weren't enough guns to go around so he had to wait until some of the higher ups ,died before he got a gun. He was mainly just hauling ammo and such. By the time he got a gun, they surrendered and he spent the rest of the war in Korea at a coal mine. BB

·
Registered
977 Posts
I agree with you gunbb, I will carefully open the letter and see what it says. maybe it's a laundry list, wouldn't that be a hoot! I did not buy it for the wake island connection as that is probably something that can never be ascertained unless there is something stating that in the letter. the uss Oahu never visited wake but spent most of her time at Eniwetok and ulithi repairing the fleets engines. probably swapped something with a marine and added the plate to spice upthe story. who knows? iwill post some pics of everything when it gets here next week.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
The sling looks like it is brand new. The monopod is original IMO. I had TJK 37 series #3848. You are going to find a purple tint to the receiver and various other parts on these early TJK's. It had something to do with the bluing temperature to (cold?) I can see it in one picture of the receiver. That is correct. Nice score although a pricey one.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I very much like bring back rifles in the original crates or bags, especially when the APO information is still discernible. I have an Iwo rig, with capture papers, Kokura 24th, short push in rod, matching dust cover, mum and matching, which included 2 slings and a bayonet, which I would not let go for 2K. Paras are a dime a dozen, however common combat rifles with documented historical provenance are few a far between. The letter can be opened without hurting it, in my mind adds nothing sealed or unsealed. If you leave it sealed use a light table, it may help with the contents.
Great score, can you read the APO information?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ed, I guess the photos are lost that were on the forum. I will check my office computer if not I will shoot some new ones and post. The original photos showed the rifle packed in cosmoline including the wood and then after I cleaned it and assembled it.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I'm not surprised considering what is presented. Heck, early Type 99s with all matching parts and all the bells and whistles have been hitting $1k~$1.5K on Gunbroker with some regularity.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.