Gunboards Forums banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
While I have enjoyed reading all these posts, I have some of my own observations about the SKS and accuracy.
I have a 54 Tula example in great shape, and do occasionally take it to my local club for the milsurp match held monthly. These matches are iron sights only, off-hand, at 50 yds. While I am far from a marksman and have an infinitely small amount of shooting experience compared to most of the fine folks on this board, I do shoot my SKS consistently better than most of my other long guns.

It was recently brought up and noted at a match with a Russian/German theme (so most of the guys brought their Mausers and SKS's) that almost everyone that had both gun types shot better scores with the SKS (myself included), and all the top scorers were SKS. There were probably at least 10 guys out of the 15-20 regulars that experienced this.

So I wonder if the SKS had a less than stellar reputation accuracy wise because of other factors? Maybe heavily worn guns lose significant accuracy, while most of the more recent import batches have been arsenal refurbs or unissued, and thus tighter guns?

·
Silver Bullet member
55,544 Posts
never had one that wasn't a good dependable shooter.
in bad shape maybe?
never owned one that bad. no matter maker

·
Registered
288 Posts
My Roooshan SKS carbean can shoot a gnats a** at 1,000yards. But ammo is too spensive now so I don’t shoot it.
My rusted, pimped out, Bubba POS shoots amoebas off the backs of mites parasitizing pseudoscorpions parasitizing the gnats a** at a 1,000 yard but my eyes are so bad and my hands so shaky that I can't hit the broad side of a barn...lol. Too funny!

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Great to hear, congrats!
My OEM/NEW Yugo SKS shot 1 foot to the left at 100 yards no matter how far one adjusted the front sight, as there were no windage adjustments on the rear sight.
There is no windage adjustment on the REAR sight, as the device needed to make windage adjustments on SKS (and AK) rifles are found on the FRONT sight,

The front sight post screws into a 'drum' which is a very tight friction fit into the front sight base. You can either drift the drum to the left or right to make windage adhustments, or tou can buy one of many tools that will fit over the front sight and drive the drum in either direction.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
The combination of the SKS design and the 7.62x39 round are far from an ideal match for MOA accuracy.

A non-locking, reciprocating bolt
Crude stock inletting,
Non-free floating barrel,
Fixed Barrel mounted folding bayonet,
Chamber bullet leade,
Crude open sites.

Add to that the x39 round that has an arched trajectory and significant bullet drop between 200 and 300 yards, and what you get is a rifle that can faithfully hit a human sized target out to 300-350 yds.

Not MOA, But certainly MOM -- Minute Of Man dependability
The bolt definitely is a locking design. It is a tilting bolt design, and shares this locking feature with the MAS 49, the 49-56, the FAL, The FN49, the SVT 38, and the SVT40 , among others.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It shoots 1 moa I have pictures. I am wondering how well y'alls shoots?
The other day I shot a 12 and 410 shell and x39 case at 25 yards. Old iron sights as well.
On Sunday I took my SKS out to my conservation club range … hadn’t shot it since last fall … dead on at 50 , rang the gong at 100 and again at 200 … pretty good for an old guy who needs glasses ! Gun has been accurate since I brought it home from Maine years ago !

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I was referring to the fact that the sks has a non-rotating locking bolt.

Between a tilt locking bolt and a rotating locking bolt one inherently limits accuracy, while the other is inherently conducive to greater r accuracy.

This was the point i intended. The sks bolt limits accuracy, because the bolt is not a traditional, rotationally locking design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had sks’s that shot well but never figured them to be moa shooters. What I don’t understand is people being self appointed experts with name calling and anger issues. This is a forum that I can laugh at if I don’t believe a post and go on my way. If a person thinks his particular weapon is minute of angle so be it since I’m not their to watch. I don’t have to believe you and you don’t have to believe me. If a person likes the way his sks shoots then good for him. Enough said..

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I shoot my rifles for accuracy with a good proper sighting in. Tied down to the table. No where the rifle can go. Decent Ammo. Then its ready for the shooter. Had an AK return a 2” group recently. Then I could shoot a chest plate at 100 . The pic is before the 4”ratcheting tie downs are on. Have not tried my chicom sks.
Plant Sky Tree Air gun Grass

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is easy to shoot for an hour and come up with one good looking group. The rifle becomes accurate. When I was doing bench rest with an M1, I had a DCM brand new SA 1965 rebuild with everything new, glass bedding and a piece of walnut that had to be about 2 lbs heavier than any I've owned. I had NM hooded sights the larger of the two available. The new SA11-65 barrel was an accurate barrel. I worked up loads using the best 168 Sierra Internationals and 4064. I went to the range and brought my girlfriend as a spotter. I shot three 5 shot groups into SR-1 centers at 100 yd, the longest distance at that range. All three put 5 into the X ring and two of the three you could cover with a US quarter. Just for fun I had brought my 2 groove 03A3 and shot a single 5 shot group which all went into the X ring and could be covered by a quarter. I had hit the sweet spot with 48 gr of 4064. 45 gr shot teacup sized groups. I was 37 at the time with good eyes. I'm certain that had I tried it at 200, it would have been awful. Off hand It would have been the size of a football. I'm 77 now and still can't shoot a lick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It shoots 1 moa I have pictures. I am wondering how well y'alls shoots? The other day I shot a 12 and 410 shell and x39 case at 25 yards. Old iron sights as well.
When I showed up at the range with my SARCO Chinese SKS my older CB buddy with two Viet Nam tours under his belt first said they were inaccurate, that he had been shot at with that rifle. After reducing a two by two block of wood on the 125 yard berm to toothpicks he realized how lucky he was and he rushed out to buy his own. Unfortunately mine shoots best with the now banned metal core Norinco ammo.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This dude Pimpy has deliberately or accidentally created a "perfect storm" troll by selecting a much-loved yet under-appreciated weapon to extoll. Like telling you your juvenile delinquent grandchild is too beautiful.
Here, I'll try one:
"Why is my Chouchat so damn reliable"?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a PSL that shoots consistent 1 MOA groups when hot, witnessed. I had 2 offers to buy it.. I said no 😆
(Gas reduced, adjustable trigger, Cali thumbhole plug).

The best I've seen from a normal sks is about 2 moa. My friend has a confirmed sks sniper (yes, it's real) with the best ammo we had, it shot about MOA if you threw out 1 or 2 flyers 🤣
I think that was literally the acceptance spec. Toss out a flyer or two.
I don't remember what the ammo was.. some sort of match it shot best with. Wolf was second if I remember right.

I've also seen an arsenal milled AK with 6x optic shoot a 5 Shot moa group with wolf gold, and be a consistent 1.5 moa shooter. Best ak I've ever seen to this day. I can't come close with my stamped ones.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts