Gunboards Forums banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Once the thread got going a little bit I clicked on over to his profile and read all his other threads he started and those told me what he was about. He constantly changed his definitions and story, and the final straw was if you disagreed you were a d!psh#t.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,735 Posts
I guess when he said "help me" because his SKS was too accurate...we should have told him to pull a file through the bore....or take a file to the crown ... Make it less accurate ;-)

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
It shoots 1 moa I have pictures. I am wondering how well y'alls shoots?
The other day I shot a 12 and 410 shell and x39 case at 25 yards. Old iron sights as well.
Great to hear, congrats!
My OEM/NEW Yugo SKS shot 1 foot to the left at 100 yards no matter how far one adjusted the front sight, as there were no windage adjustments on the rear sight.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I come here to be told I’m wrong (if I am wrong) and to learn from people more knowledgeable than me. He came here to tell everyone else they were wrong and got angry, argumentative, and profanely insulting when anyone tried to say they weren’t and he did it with all the finesse of a 5 year old; missing punctuation, sentences running into each other, spelling the same word different ways in the same post, etc. It was entertaining.

I’m an average shooter at best and don’t get upset about it when someone else is better. It is what it is. Some of the best grouping I’ve ever done was at 100 yards with a 1950s Savage 99F in .308 with the scope set on 1.5x (because my father told me it was a fixed 4x and I didn’t bother looking to see if it was adjustable). I shot 5 rounds in about a quarter sized group with 147 grain (or 150, can’t remember) PPU. I was ecstatic with that but I don’t think I could do it again with the same gun and the same ammo. Lol.

I have some experience shooting groundhogs at 600-700 yards. I use a Unertl 15x Ultra Varmint on a 6mm REM old school custom Mauser. Regardless of all of that I know at 600-800 yards if you can even see the groundhog without magnification it’s barely more than a tiny, blurry dot. If I had to put an iron sight post on that I’d have no idea where it was on the other side of the post even if whatever gun I was using was set for that distance. I’m not saying crazy shots aren’t possible as I’ve seen some “pros” do some crazy stuff on TV but all things considered, even though a coyote is bigger than a groundhog, I have a hard time believing many people would be able to see, hold an open sight on, and shoot a coyote at 700 yards, possibly off hand (because I think that’s what he was saying). Just my logical thinking maybe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It shoots 1 moa I have pictures. I am wondering how well y'alls shoots?
The other day I shot a 12 and 410 shell and x39 case at 25 yards. Old iron sights as well.
Every once and awhile the factory turns out, for a number of manufacturing reasons, one that is just a sweet shooter. I am sure you will get a lot of personal and technical mutterings over this post but I would just say-thank the good Lord that you have one of them

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Every once and awhile the factory turns out, for a number of manufacturing reasons, one that is just a sweet shooter. I am sure you will get a lot of personal and technical mutterings over this post but I would just say-thank the good Lord that you have one of them
Even if one is only modestly familiar with MOA and how to extrapolate long range accuracy from groups shot at shorter distances, they will know immediately that the target photos shared by the OP (supposedly from 25 yds) are nowhere near to 1MOA accuracy.

What the OP's 25yd photos demonstrate is a rifle capable of 5-6MOA accuracy --at best--- which is precisely what the sks was designed to do.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
The combination of the SKS design and the 7.62x39 round are far from an ideal match for MOA accuracy.

A non-locking, reciprocating bolt
Crude stock inletting,
Non-free floating barrel,
Fixed Barrel mounted folding bayonet,
Chamber bullet leade,
Crude open sites.

Add to that the x39 round that has an arched trajectory and significant bullet drop between 200 and 300 yards, and what you get is a rifle that can faithfully hit a human sized target out to 300-350 yds.

Not MOA, But certainly MOM -- Minute Of Man dependability

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most of the time I hear people complain of poor accuracy the first thought in my mind is "user error" If the rifle is tuned properly, as someone noted above, it then depends only on the shooter. All of my rifles and pistols are accurate, if there is ever a variance in point of impact it is always me.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts