Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
12,949 Posts
The only non corrosive 8x57 I've seen lately is $5 per round. Is nobody making it any more?
Five dollars a round. I’m having trouble coming to terms with this brave new world.

Reactions: 130784

·
Registered
410 Posts
The primer prices are insane , yeah turkish here too its was cheaper than rimfire when I bought it , and putting 150 grain speer softpoints in em . I can clean after the corrosive stuff and turk primers are all good.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surplus Greek seems to be the most common to find right now. I just don't like corrosive, I had a bad experience a long time ago with it and haven't shot it since. Other more obscure calibers seem to be easier to find oddly enough. 6.5 Swede and 7mm Mauser are out there for way less.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It seems the new rate is around a $1-2 per round, some more. Pistol ammo still seems around 75 cent unless its a mouse gun. Our range is seeing generally less people, and a decrease in membership at $90 per year. Also few are firing off say 100 rounds ammo, more like a box and a short visit. I still have not seen primers at local stores. At gun shows it is 10-12 cents per primer. Unfortunately, that is something I always thought would be around and never stocked up when it was 2 cents a primer:cautious::(

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems the new rate is around a $1-2 per round, some more. Pistol ammo still seems around 75 cent unless its a mouse gun. Our range is seeing generally less people, and a decrease in membership at $90 per year. Also few are firing off say 100 rounds ammo, more like a box and a short visit. I still have not seen primers at local stores. At gun shows it is 10-12 cents per primer. Unfortunately, that is something I always thought would be around and never stocked up when it was 2 cents a primer:cautious::(
This is what makes Mosins so great, 54r can still be had for 50 cents /round, non corrosive. That's pretty good for a full power cartridge, and you really can't say that for any other round out there in the same category. I still usually only shoot a box at a time for the sake of my shoulder though.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
On line you also have shipping, that has gone up. I wanted some common 30-30 Winchester, another cartridge that seems to have disappeared and it cost $42 for a new box at a gun show. Some had it at $55 per box.

I love those Mosins... back in the day us old timers got pallets of boxes of Mosin ammo (Albanian) dropped off at the garage. Some were cazy and got 2-5 wood crates filled with rebuild Mosins. I would just go to Gun World- Gander Mt. when they put out a crate or two and select the best of the best that was in a crate. Too think, I thought $26 a tin was high priced at Gander back in the day.:oops: there $100 Mosins cost $165, But for exsnipers, all matching, no electro pencil force matches and the import mark on the barrel it was fun times to collect.

I find a good number of old hunters are selling off their guns because they can not get out anymore, hence I ened up with a $200 Winchester- about 1/4 of its value. Never shot one. But some ammo is hard to find. I have not seen 30-30, 30-06, 8mm Mauser or any really odd ball stuff at local stores. My wifes 38 special seems uncommon, more 9 mm and 22 at the farm & hardware stores.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,135 Posts
As a reloader of numerous calibers I guess I am just out of touch with current prices. I had no idea that the 8mm was bringing that kind of price.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,949 Posts
If this hasn’t convinced you start reloading, I don’t know what will.

Course I’m still shooting $.03 corrosive Turkish, I just take 10 minutes and clean.
Like others here I purchased quite a bit of the Turk 8mm ammo from Century circa 2005-2006. I remember the price being closer to four cents a round, shipping included, when the order was $300 or more. (Or was the minimum for paid shipping an order totaling at least $400? I can’t recall with certainty. Whatever the free shipping threshold was, it wasn’t that much and it made it easier to rationalize increasing the size of the order.)

When you consider the resale value of the stripper clips, fourteen in every bandolier, plus the scrap value of the fired brass, the price was probably less than three cents a round for bright and shiny sure fire 8mm. Delivered to your door,

That’s the part that always amazed me when I came home to find three or four hundred pounds of ammo sitting on my porch.

I don’t have much sympathy for those who didn’t have the foresight and common sense to jump on this opportunity back then but I do feel sorry for those who were too young or those adults who weren’t gun owners in that timeframe.

Paying dollars per round every time you pull the trigger? That’s horrible. 🙁

·
Registered
190 Posts
Like others here I purchased quite a bit of the Turk 8mm ammo from Century circa 2005-2006. I remember the price being closer to four cents a round, shipping included, when the order was $300 or more. (Or was the minimum for paid shipping an order totaling at least $400? I can’t recall with certainty. Whatever the free shipping threshold was, it wasn’t that much and it made it easier to rationalize increasing the size of the order.)

When you consider the resale value of the stripper clips, fourteen in every bandolier, plus the scrap value of the fired brass, the price was probably less than three cents a round for bright and shiny sure fire 8mm. Delivered to your door,

That’s the part that always amazed me when I came home to find three or four hundred pounds of ammo sitting on my porch.

I don’t have much sympathy for those who didn’t have the foresight and common sense to jump on this opportunity back then but I do feel sorry for those who were too young or those adults who weren’t gun owners in that timeframe.

Paying dollars per round every time you pull the trigger? That’s horrible. 🙁
300 to 400 pound of ammo on your porch. I bet the porch pirates would get Hernias trying to steal that. I remember getting a ammo shipment and it was a really small lady struggling with the shipment to get it to me so I had to go help her. My wife was not amused.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,430 Posts
I reloaded my own, Used WW brass from Midway. But I hardly shoot anymore.Bought about 2400 rounds when the Yugo ammo was being imported at 120 per 900

1 - 20 of 22 Posts