Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why do I come here?

Topic:

Topic author: BradB
Subject: Why do I come here?
Posted on: 03/02/2006 08:02:11 AM
I've gotten somewhat jaded after 6+ years of posting on the boards, and it occurs to me that for guys that have been on here, sometimes our answers or opinions can be a bit terse
. Many of the guys that routinely hung out here long-ago burned out and moved on because after a while, it's mostly the same-ol-stuff or because they sold off all their toys
(keep reading folks, there's a bright spot). I get bored with the pre-auction price trawler guy
, the "I don't want to do the online research at any of the sites you guys recommend... what is this rifle? guy
, the "check out this auction" guy who "outs" a rifle folks thought was their secret
, the know-it-all guy (I try not to be this one, but sometimes I am an opinionnated bastard)
, the "new-guy" who jumps on a question with every bad and wrong gunshow cliche answer
, the "look what I got-it's real" guy who won't listen to anyone's opinion (hey, when you hang something out in a discussion room, you're gonna get a discussion that you can't attempt to control)
, the absurd buy my rifle at 300% of it's value guy
, the petty flame thread guy
, and finally, the insider private conversation thread that 90% of the folks here can't follow
. And, I regret the absence of hot chicks!
(Please feel free to applaud my selections of faces to set the mood).

BUT, for all the irritating threads (which none of us really have to re-read or revisit do we... so why do we?), there is a far more desirable side. The camraderie of folks who share a passion for this hobby, the folks who know A LOT MORE THAN ME (even grumpy old ones)
, the new or rare variation that teaches us all something, the underpriced "treasure" find that we share with each other (who else appreciates it?). I love it here (and "I love you guys man"... sniffle). Most of you anyway. And to the guys I don't particularly like... heck, I even enjoy seeing you too. We're a mostly functional virtual family of folks that would bore our "real" friends silly with the conversations we have here about things like the number of screws in a rear sling swivel. Cheers to you all!

Replies:

Reply author: 03man
Replied on: 03/02/2006 08:37:27 AM
Right on Brad, not to mention its better than the "other" sites, in spite of our shortcomings and goings.

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 03/02/2006 09:15:26 AM
Great post Brad! I've felt near the edge of burnout many times myself & also tire of some of the posts you mention. Still, I'm glad I've hung in there & it's been very rewarding.

Reply author: fingolfen
Replied on: 03/02/2006 11:54:44 AM
Maybe I'm too new, but I honestly think this forum tends to do a good job of keeping things on topic. Sure, the occasional topic comes back up every now and then, but most of the time that just means someone is trying to learn...

... of course, I'm the mod on one of those "other forums", but for C&R and Japanese it's a lot smaller pool.

Reply author: fredh
Replied on: 03/02/2006 12:44:18 PM
Great post, Brad! I think you hit the nail on the head. I am actually busier than at any point in my life and supposed to be retired, well, ok, semi-retired. Every chance I get, I check this sight, even if for a minute or two, hoping to find something interesting going on. You'd think I'd be jaded after 50 years collecting the same thing. I remember talking to the owner of one of the largest import houses a couple years ago, and he told me he was bored with collecting now. I was disappointed to hear that and actually felt sorry for him that he had lost his passion after all these years. The first time I talked with him was the Winston-Salem gun show in 1955!

Reply author: davef
Replied on: 03/02/2006 2:15:58 PM
sound like you covered it real well ,Brad.

Reply author: rcb
Replied on: 03/02/2006 2:45:20 PM
I think I found this board in 97 or 98. Most of what I know I learned here. I got Fred's books and a few more and read them all but here you get first hand replies. I've learned for the most part to keep quit when I don't know anything. I check here every day sometime two or three time. When I need something you supply it. I started this folly in 1950 and it has grown more intense. Thank you all. rcb.

Reply author: Mike Rockhill
Replied on: 03/02/2006 5:57:11 PM
Yep this place is like a good bar...just without the beer, jack pretzels,and as brad so aptly pointed out... chicks. Instead we of all that jazz (and i do wish we had it here, especially chicks that would enjoy the madness)we impart advice, applaud each others finds, and collectivley shake heads when some lawyer pays $500 for a ground 8th or 10th and therefore raises the bar, we collectors grow ever tired of hurterling. (however you spell that)any way gotta go, out to where there is beer and chicks, I'll be back later

Reply author: BIG ED
Replied on: 03/02/2006 7:09:54 PM
I have learned much by coming here.Yes some experts have come and gone, I guess they got tired of other people playing in thier sand box so to speak. But just when you think you've seen it all. Out of the woodwork comes something else.Where else can we police our own hobby and learn about fakes/fakers.Yeah some people will use this info to commit fraud so you have to be ever so carefull about the info you give out. All in all this and Castle thunder are the best Japanese forums on the net.

Reply author: red one
Replied on: 03/02/2006 8:27:34 PM
Hang in there Brad , you'll do just fine.

Reply author: christian rifle
Replied on: 03/02/2006 10:18:26 PM
sometimes people go for a while because they dont have web access for whatever reason. I disappeared for a year or so.
for those who want girls on the board, you're probably not gonna get it. A few years back there was a woman who posted on the current events board . I think she was the only woman i've ever seen here.
Here's the next best thing :
http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9605&stc=1&d=1191782405

Download Attachment:
73.57 KB
hope it hasnt been posted before

Reply author: Mike Rockhill
Replied on: 03/02/2006 10:27:54 PM
hmmm... nice I think i will get smashed get a tatoo and reenlist, or just plain old enlist where ever she is serving.

Reply author: pacific-war44
Replied on: 03/02/2006 11:17:20 PM
None of you noticed?? Brad,for the 1st time in recorded board history,managed to aptly use EVERY gay-ass smiley face we have in the arsenal in one post! I applaud you sir! That was awesome! Oh yea,burnout and such,a bummer.But every smiley! Cool. And since we sadly lost Earl to the fishes,I wince every time I see Rick Veal sell off yet another 10 or 20 slings or cleaning rods,I know this just inches him closer to the edge of dropping off the map.Quick,hit him with a sniper stock and knock him back to his senses! You don't see Blevins giveing up do ya(there's still 6000 arisakas left)? Or Doss,even though he bitches about a few marbles rolling away,so,beer preserves marbles(alcohol)!Every time I feel burnout comeing on I get depressed and go out and buy a '99 or a nambu,I know it's just a crutch but it gets me through.....please support your local chapter of A.A.,Arisakas Anonymous...Scott

Reply author: silverstar
Replied on: 03/03/2006 12:26:05 AM
For all of you old-timers who get tired of answering the same questions from us "newbies" -- maybe the "newbies" just don't properly remind you of how valuable you are in our quest for knowledge, and maybe we don't thank you for your help enough...I'm sure it gets tiresome after a while to answer the same things over and over, and lots of newbies never bother to read the stickies at the top of the board.

Anyway, I certainly appreciate the knowledge bank that is provided by the members of these fine forums, and I thank every one of you that has ever answered a question for me. I would know so much less about military firearms if I wasn't able to come here and learn from seasoned collectors. Don't give up on us!

Perhaps if the Gunboards search feature WORKED reliably, some of the more-often-repeated questions would be deflected before they ever got to you seasoned veterans. As a digital librarian, I have to say that the search feature here is about as sorry as they come...

Reply author: Edokko
Replied on: 03/03/2006 01:49:59 AM
How's about every wise-ass poster on this board gets a swift kick in the rear end by that gal above with them kinky boots. (me included)

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9606&stc=1&d=1191782405

Download Attachment:
23.74 KB

Reply author: BradB
Replied on: 03/03/2006 05:23:50 AM
Silverstar... we LOVE newbies! We used to be newbies too... and I still am on some other boards about. Lately for me it's US edged weapons. (I can't afford the Japanese rifles I still need, but the hunt goes on). I remember when arseanal marks on Japanese rifles were heiroglyphics that didn't really matter to me (had to have the flower and nothing else mattered). Now my favorite individual rifle is (gasp) ground.

Reply author: Navybuff
Replied on: 03/03/2006 07:14:06 AM
Well put Brad. For me it is a relaxation thing. In the winter when work is slow I can take the time to read more threads and reply if I have anything to offer. In the summer just reading everyones post helps me come back to reality after a long day. I'm sure all of us, me included go through phases were we don't even read the boards for a week, that way it kind of refreashes one's self.
When Sevensteps left Gunboards he offered me the moderator position here, but I new I would burn out if I sat and read every post every night.
I do miss some of the guys who have gone (Sevensteps, Earl, Russo-Jap, Fatstrat and others) But then again they may still lerk, but think they have nothing left to offer. Just my 2 cents

Replied on: 03/03/2006 08:51:57 AM

Replied on: 03/03/2006 1:11:00 PM
It suddently came to me,,,,the only reason any of us are HERE,is because we are not all THERE!!!!heheheheh

Reply author: christian rifle
Replied on: 03/04/2006 07:21:20 AM

quote: Originally posted by Edokko

How's about every wise-ass poster on this board gets a swift kick in the rear end by that gal above with them kinky boots. (me included)

Edokko,
where did you get that pic. Its way more thread appropriate than mine

Replied on: 03/04/2006 08:49:38 AM
Secret !! nahh, pulled it off some Japanese weapons magazine website. Cool huh ? The T-99 looks like a repro.

Reply author: HowdyDoody
Replied on: 03/05/2006 08:24:03 AM
Why do I come here? why? why? why? Before I came here, I had an appreciation for the finer things in life; WWII and before European semi-auto handguns, Bolt action military rifles from around the world. Now, I have no money for nessecities like beer, cigatettes, strippers.

"BEHOLD, ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE" You will spend eternity wandering the earth searching for short cleaning push in cleaning rods, un-drilled monopod type bands, no dustcoer grooves, square recoil lugs, rope hole stocks, double thick wood butplates.

Seriously, this board, along with Castle-Thunder is the most informative, highest use, and most accurate of any of the Japanese collector boards I have visited. Hang in there and I'll try to minimize my dumb questions and wise-ass answers.
jim

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 03/05/2006 12:49:23 PM
One of the best, if not best, non-technical posts I've read on Gunboards. Frankly I'm tired of Gun show travel, roads get longer and longer each year and for some reason the van seat gets harder (not to mention trying to climb in and out). I go to shows because of you guys that go. The recent SOS weekend, fellowship with collectors from CA to FL, was one of the best in my life.

This coming B'ham show may be my last, leaving my 'exhaulted" [email protected] position and mainly collecting info. rather than iron, and little of either at AGCA. Wll miss the fellowship, (insulting) Trey, George, Riceone, Connell, Mark and others. (Guess I'll have to go at leat on Sat.) While my better-half has no use for all of you that keep me at this Board day in and day out, I do!

In closing, Brad,, I'm sure Riceone does not appreciate your "grumpy old men" comment!

Replied on: 03/05/2006 1:04:44 PM
I envy all you eastern pukes with all your 'get togethers'! Us western pukes are spread pretty thin. Nothing like insulting each other face to face!
Guess that's the real reason I keep coming here!
All the stuff I learn from you guys is just icing on the cake!

Reply author: fingolfen
Replied on: 03/05/2006 1:46:51 PM
So how many of us western pukes are there? I'm in Oregon, dog's in California... Who else is there?

Replied on: 03/05/2006 1:49:13 PM
This puke lives in the SF bay area. Why don't we all get together at the Reno, NV show this Friday and puke at each other.

Replied on: 03/05/2006 2:03:29 PM
There are a couple other "pukes" I can think of out here. There's Yukon 75, Goex FFF, there's Odie, in AZ (if that's still his handle & he hasn't forgotten his password again) and I'm sure there are some closet pukes lurking about as well. Reno is a hard drive from here for me & too short of notice. They have a Ventura show fairly often & it's actually been getting better as time goes on. There is also a historical arms show coming up here in Santa Barbara in July. Jonathan Winters (the comedian) makes this show. Maybe we could plan on one of these?? Maybe the best time would be the Odie shoot in the fall or the Phoenix show in Dec.

Replied on: 03/05/2006 2:33:19 PM
A-dogs, aren't all Harley guys supposed to bike down a straight desert Nevada road into the horizon ?
On a serious note, yes, some kind of get together for the WC Charter (that's West Coast, not Water Closet) is called for, and Ventura or Santa Barbara is as fine a place as any. Can you pick a nice big show where a lot of Japanese stuff comes out ?

Replied on: 03/05/2006 3:50:55 PM
I missed the Ventura show last go around, but the last time I went I found that very nice 4th series carbine & the guy had several others on his table I would have liked to have bought. I'll let y'all know next time I get the flyer for the ventura show & maybe it will work out.

Replied on: 03/05/2006 4:03:25 PM

A-dogs, aren't all Harley guys supposed to bike down a straight desert Nevada road into the horizon ?
I do love biking those desert roads, especially in New Mexico. But it's hard to transport rifles on a bike. That reminds me - when I was in the Navy I carried a T-99 long Nagoya slung across my back on a Honda 350 from Albuquerque, NM to Riverside, CA. Getting snowed in for three days near Gallup. That was in Nov 1971! I bought that rifle for $25 while I was in training at Kirkland AFB.

Replied on: 03/05/2006 4:51:57 PM
The image of a lone biker, down a desert highway, close to sunset, surrounded by saguaro silhouettes, and with a T-99 long strapped across his back, that is just precious....

Reply author: Navybuff
Replied on: 03/05/2006 4:56:37 PM

The image of a lone biker, down a desert highway, close to sunset, surrounded by saguaro silhouettes, and with a T-99 long strapped across his back, that is just precious....

Gives me visions of a black and white movie starring Steve McQueen or Charles Bronsan.

Reply author: seinen
Replied on: 03/05/2006 4:58:55 PM

Rather like the Lone Rider of the Apocalpse in "Raising Arizona", the character portrayed by Tex Cobb. You know: the guy who blew up rabbits with hand grenades.

C/

Replied on: 03/05/2006 5:13:09 PM

Reply author: Pur Sang
Replied on: 03/05/2006 5:15:33 PM

quote: Originally posted by Mike Rockhill

Yep this place is like a good bar...just without the beer, jack pretzels,and as brad so aptly pointed out... chicks. Instead we of all that jazz (and i do wish we had it here, especially chicks that would enjoy the madness)we impart advice, applaud each others finds, and collectivley shake heads when some lawyer pays $500 for a ground 8th or 10th and therefore raises the bar, we collectors grow ever tired of hurterling. (however you spell that)any way gotta go, out to where there is beer and chicks, I'll be back later

I think I'll go join Mike. And thanks, Brad, for all you taught me over the years. I still think you should write a book about Jap bayos.

Replied on: 03/05/2006 5:27:56 PM

Well, I don't know about it being "precious". It was cold & wet until it started snowing, then it was just cold. I even passed a snow plow trying to find a place to get warm. The snow plow driver looked at me like I came from outer space! Guess I was a pretty weird sight - riding a motorcycle in the snow with a Japanese rifle on my back!
That was a pretty miserable trip!

Replied on: 03/05/2006 7:13:23 PM
Didn't you also have the time you were pelted all over with rain and serious lightening somewhere out in Arizona ? Bikers are definitely a different breed. I still got hopes of getting a Harley one of these days, just a bit more patience in pursuading the wife.

Replied on: 03/05/2006 8:08:09 PM
Yes, the thunderstorm from hell, just outside of Tuscon.

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 03/05/2006 10:39:10 PM
You poor, pitiful western pukes, couple of hundred miles too far to travel to get-together. Might have to have your dipers changed while away from home and mommie?

We've driven to Phoenix show more than once, about 3K miles round trip, once to Great Western, so far odiometer wore out, drove MIATA to B'ZAI bbq in OR (or was it WA)total of 7K miles on that trip. We average around 30-40k miles each year trying to pull in new B'ZAI members. This by an old lady and a fat kid with two aftermarket knees, two aftermarket hips, heel fusion, five bypasses, 3 stints and a 1945 circumsison, not to mention a few missing mables.

And some of you pukes whine over a two hour drive. Verilly, verilly I say unto you, the younger collecting pukes are going to hell (in a hand basket!)

Replied on: 03/05/2006 11:09:46 PM
Yeah, well some of us still have to work!

Replied on: 03/05/2006 11:10:14 PM
You tellem, el-old-guy....its never too far for a good time...everybody needs to quit whining and be in alabama in may.

Reply author: Bill B
Replied on: 03/05/2006 11:13:00 PM
I'm surrounded by civil war collectors, new junk guys, a ton of naziphiles and the never ending you collect jap junk guys. I come here and feel like I'm among friends that I can talk all aspects of collecting japanese and not feel to dumb about some of the stuff I bring up.It's hard enough to deal with the day to day Bxll Shxt, take a break once in awhile,this is the part of life I enjoy. Us eastern pukes wear bags over are heads at our get togethers so we won't recognize each other when we get back on the boards. You western pukes will be required to do the same. Heh Heh

1 - 1 of 1 Posts