Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without going into a huge spiel of my opinion of all the pros and cons of the platform I am just curious as to what different peoples different reasons for choosing an AK based weapon were?
I'm guessing for many people its just because they are so freaking COOL!

I would love to have one myself but settled for an SKS as I like things that are all original and its C&R status (read: 922r exempt) and lack of high capacity mag and pistol grip make it a rifle instead of an evil assault rifle. Plus they have always cost half what an AK variant does for the most part unless its a more collectible SKS. Accuracy seems on par for either and if I wanted an "assault" rifle with more accuracy I'd be looking at a heavy barreled AR variant with a scope (what they do at the range with those is amazing).

I've almost bought one several times from fleet farm, but something always comes up and I end up with another collectible shooter instead (this time it was an original 91/30 PU sniper from classic, over some big RPKish thing I didn't look too close at from the store).

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,539 Posts
I just liked the cost effectiveness of the platform compared to other rifles of the era of when I started buying them (around mid 1980's).

·
Gold Bullet member
4,043 Posts
I got my first AK, a pretty blonde, because it was COOL.

I got my second because there are no 12 gauge SKSs.

I got my most recent, a Saiga x39, because it is a real Russian gun and not a frankenrifle . It remains uncoverted, so there is no coolness factor, but it holds it own out to 300 yards which is all I could reasonably ask for with this platform in my hands.

I do love my AR, though.

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I just dont like the feel if an AR. I like heavier rifles and i like the round better. I also like how you can get numbers matching and rifles made by different countries. The one thing i give thr ar hands down is sights

·
Registered
17,618 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
1. It should work forever while being abused.
2. World's most common rifle/caliber.
3. Evil Commies and Terrorists use it.
4. More punch than 5.56 and I like the tangent sights better.
5. The whole gun is solid and I could even use the mags as a weapon.
6. Cheaper than other semi-autos like most AR's, FAL's, etc.
7. I could put my stocks from the Croatian War on it.
8. It's fun to shoot without an annoying bolt-action like my other guns :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Hey buy both!!! I have a Russian refurb SKS it shoots pretty good. I Made a Romy G code kit for myself. Then I just had to build a 74. It makes a nice family. They are there to keep Grandpa Mosin Nagant company! I like the AR a little better.

·
Registered
17,618 Posts
Hey buy both!!! I have a Russian refurb SKS it shoots pretty good. I Made a Romy G code kit for myself. Then I just had to build a 74. It makes a nicec family. They are there to keep Grandpa Mosin Nagant company! .
Man you sound like me :)

Minus the Ar.. i have yet to hold one or shoot one. But my brother-in-law has one coming so i am looking forward to shooting it.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I chose the AK because it was "The preferred weapon of our enemy." I grew up seeing them on the world news in conflicts all over the world. Lastly, because my enemies shot at me with them in Iraq.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,647 Posts
I assembled many ARs and AKs back in the day. The AR was a Swiss watch by comparison to the AK. But the AK was much more fun to assemble. I must have hammered 10 AKs together when kits were cheap. I parted with all but two: an Egyptian and a Bulgarian side folding skeleton stocked AK-74....both on Nodak receivers. Both of them are grubby looking. I don't worry about scratching them or getting them dirty. I still have one AR in very early VN configuration. I kept the Egyptian so I would have one in 7.62 and the 74 because the 5.45 is still so cheap. Short the 74 this weekend. Cheap fun. Didn't take the AR out because it is just too easy to shoot and the ammo is getting pricy.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,174 Posts
Back in the day when Wolf ammo sold for $75 per thousand, and that nasty, ugly, cheapo SAR-1 was all of $169, I figgered I needed one - already had an SKS & the SAR-1 was a lot more streamlined in comparison.

Once the Ban sunset, I was able to install one of those evil baby-killer slant brakes. Along the way I got a windage-adjustable rear sight, from a now long-defunct vendor. And those laminated stocks look awesome.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Let me start off by saying I own several AR's, SKS's, & AK's among others. I developed cataracts and had the plastic lenses inserted. Now, I only shoot the AR's much. My eyesight is impossible with the SKS & AK's sights unless set up with a red dot on a Unimak. However, my favorite is the SKS. No good reason, I also like Japanese WWII rifles. Maybe because I, as was mentioned by a vet from a newer war, spent a year being shot at by them quite a lot... the SKS/AK, not the Japanese Type 99 :).

My favorite AK's are the Chinese. I am lucky enough to own a few. If you have handled the Russians, the Bulgarians, etc. .... the Chinese are a whole 'nother' game. They are, like the early SKS, quality built (quite a bit of hand work on both) and a pleasure to hold, fire, clean, and just fondle. A very different feeling from even a Noveske AR. The Noveske is an excellent rifle by a master builder BUT it's new with no history. The early Chinese just feel more organic to me while the AR's are more machine-like. That's my take.

I do love to shoot the AR though because it is more innately accurate than an AK and is built from the get-go to use many different types of optics (which are necessary for me). But....when I go home from the range, clean the AR and put it away, I always spend some time with the various SKS's and Chinese AK's. Maybe it's the wood, or the history, but I do enjoy an old SKS/AK.

Cheers

p.s. I also have a couple of AK-74's because the 5.45 IS so cheap, I like the round, and I own quite a bit of it.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I bought an AK type rifle (WASR 10) initially for one reason, because someday they might be banned. I wasn't really interested in them for any other reason, partly because I already had an SKS( I know diffferent rifle) that I've owned for about 15- 20 years. One day though I just started thinking about it, and decided I just wanted a cheap rifle to fart around with. I settled with the WASR 10 because if I didn't like the gun, I wouldn't be out that much money, and could probably sell it easily. After I bought it and shot it a few times, I really started enjoying the platform. I don't have plans to buy another but for the right price I may some day, provided they're still legal at that time.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I used to own a stable of Chi-com Type 56 SKS rifles. Now I'm down to just two. I don't own a Kalashnikov because my SKS can do anything I might need a long arm to do, and I don't need the 30-round magazines. My wife, on the other hand, loves the Kalashnikov, shares Mikhail Kalashnikov's birthday, etc. etc. She really wants a Polytech Legend milled-receiver, which is way, way out of our reach. We've both checked out [erm "Czech'd out"] the VZ58 and like it a lot, but again, I've already got two semi-auto 7.62x39mm rifles that can be loaded with stripper clips from the top of the receiver...

Good luck with your Kalashnikovs! They are ubiquitous, that is for sure.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
37,718 Posts
Might have just started out as an extension of my fascination with Russian stuff. But it soon became a pretty solid part of my gun hobby. Ironically, I don't have a Russian AK of any sort, just the off brands.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like the AKM for its fun factor and being inexpensive(when I bought mine $350 each). However my go-to gun is a M4 that I built Last year for $725. It's 100% reliable like my AKM's but is lighter and I can carry more loaded magazines w/5.56 vs 7.62. I can rebuild an AR in my lap or at the kitchen table with tools in my garage. Can't do that with an AK. Steel cased ammo for either costs the same now. I reload 5.56 with 62gr penetrators for $180 per thousand from once fired LC brass. That's less expensive than 7.62X39 steel cased Wolf etc.
I will not give up my AKM's but if I ever have to bug out they will be left behind. My AR and Glock will be going with me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts