Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while at the range this past weekend i saw an older guy holding what looked like an m91 mosin,it had a scope on it and had been installed in one of those cheesy synthetic monte carlo stocks.i asked if he minded if i looked at it a bit closer..the bolt was numberd to the rec but had the handle cut off and one of those tap and screw on low bolt handles on it,the mag floorplate also matched..it was a hex recevier dated 1914,had what looked like the double headed eagle and the russian script writeing and..it was sa marked.i asked it he minded if i looked down the bore and it looked very good to me,,he said he got it for $60.00 and had made a better deer gun outta it..i coulda cried

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
And for $350 can go to ****'s sporting goods and buy a brand new Savage Model 11 with scope, mounts, sling, and even a trigger lock, with a warrantee and a nice carboard and foam box. Pick your caliber.

So he destroyed a $250 gun and spent more than $100 to create a usless, worthless abortion.

regards
badger

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,554 Posts
At one point, not that long ago m91's were common as dirt and were incorrectly considered by many to be cheap junk.

Sound like anything available today?

·
Copper Bullet member
987 Posts
ya...I picked up three cheapo Finn 91s' back in the early 90s' before they were considered a $80 rifle and anyone really knew too much about them. Wait a minute?
Was the internet even around back then?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Last year an ammo dealer brought a terribly butchered 1894 Chat to the show and wanted $150 for it (down from $200) to pay for the ATI stock and bolt murdering kit he used on it.

It only made him more upset when I told him I would have gave him $300 for it, if he would have left it as it was when he got it.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,870 Posts
They are still in abundance at shows and in shops.
They are cheap.
They are a perfect choice for dad to buy son for a first rifle.
There are tons of aftermarket accessories cheaply and easily available.
Most people never investigate or research the world of Mosin and have no interest in finding out what they were all about nor do they give a hoot about any history behind the gun.

It is not in the least surprising to see a brand new Bubba appear on the range ... in the hands of some kid with a big smile on his face!
As frequently experienced, kids instantly fall in love with the big bang of a Mosin! Not at all uncommon to hear "Dad! We got to get me one of these!"
Dad is just thrilled to find out how cheaply he can buy one or two or...

When I introduce a new convert, I do encourage them to read up and learn what they are all about ... before getting out the toolbox.
I also encourage them to learn how to determine the difference between a diamond in the rough and a pigs ear before they go hacking at it.
But, let's face it, with cheap prices and plentiful accessory parts, it should not be unexpected to find Bubba jobs routinely showing up on the range.
Just hold back the tears when you look at the markings on it...
And, with some kind words of advice, you may just create another "collector" or a new generation of future collectors, so don't be a bullish snot!

·
Registered
548 Posts
If life deals you lemons

Make lemonade.
This one sounds like my 1917 Sestroyetsk, double SA stamped, black plastic stock, super-glued wobbly scope mount drilled into the hex receiver, matching bolt hack-sawed off crooked, replacement handle always coming loose from the leverage used to open the bolt, but cheap at the pawnshop. I fixed Bubba's mistakes with the mount and bolt handle, mounted a Centerpoint scope, and cleaned the heck out of her. She shows her appreciation by shooting 1 inch groups at 100yds with Winchester 180gr FMJ, all day long. There was a question of whether my other 17 Mosins would accept her, but "Grandma" outshoots them all.
Even the "Spawn of Bubba" need love too!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have several "sporterized" Mosins, all either Remingtons or New England Westinghouse rifles, all "sportered" in the era before WW2. All were nicely done, for what they are. Some have receiver sights, and all have wooden stocks.
Given the fact that MN rifles cost about $3 brand new from the NRA in the 1920's, and were not highly regarded overall, it's surprising that any US made MN survived intact in it's original military configuration.
With the very cheap current prices on 91/30s and carbines, it's not also surprising that many will end up as "sporterized" deer rifles, even if a modern sporting rifle is available for not too much more $$.
I say, don't worry about it at all. Surviving Remington M1891's in original condition are now worth great big $$$, at least partially 'cause all the others were made into hunting rifles! Your original 1942 made Ishevsk ~might~ also be more valuable one day in the ~far distant~ future, because so many others were chopped up into you-know-what.

In the early 1990's I was buying 2 Finn M91s a week from Century at $15-40 each; many were in absolutely new condition. Other Finnish MN were similarly inexpensive. It doesn't surprise me that some of those rifles may have been converted into cheap deer rifles by other buyers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
the common ones

I would say that if you must "bubba" or sporterize a rifle...make it a very common one....like a '42 izzy mismatch refurb. People do like to tinker sometimes and I don't think that will appreciate much. Some things can be undone...like just changing the stock. I have 2 scope mounts for my Mosins, but they require me to remove the retaining pin from my iron sight and I am hesitant to do this. I might harm the rifle somehow. A scope just doesn't seem right on these rifles to me anyway...unless it's a sniper PU or something.

·
Copper Bullet member
813 Posts
I still have my first Mosin Nagant, an 1897 Fin M28 with a SIG barrel. At one time many years ago I was tempted to "improve" it. I bought it for $65 in the early 90's. If it was in better shape it would probably be worth something.

I picked up another MN last week, for almost nothing (literally) that Bubba got ahold of. Bubba "schnabelled" the stock just in front of the rear sight. It was covered in thick brown rust, inside and out. It actually came off with lots of steel wool, WD40, and elbow greese, leaving very minor pitting in a few spots.

Fortunately it's just a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30.
I'll go to a gun show soon and see if I can find an original stock for it. There should be plenty around, I would think.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,870 Posts
Bubba Forum ... great idea!
I recently tripped across a forum (forgot to bookmark) that had great discussion and pics from "Advanced Bubbas" with examples of some very fine workmanship!
There are several family lines of Bubba.
On the upscale end, turning a $100 tomato stake into a $2000 custom does have appreciable merit for the time, labor and workmanship involved with respect for the origin and history of the piece.
Not everything is "collectible" and not everyone a "collector".

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Keep in mind that bubba hacked off the bolt handle, I think at that point it's beyond hope.
If he did, indeed have all the parts he took off...and that included the hacked of portion of the bolt handle "Boltman" could probably repair it. If I'm not mistaken, he advertises that he has "fixed" quite a number of those cheap bolt-together hack jobs ATI sells.

Maybe you'll run into him again Hutch Isle...

--Just my 0.02

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.