Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are police shooting so many family dogs?http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/police-take-horrific-action-every-98-minutes/

A rash of animal shootings by police officers nationwide has law-enforcement agencies running for cover amid growing public outrage that could force state legislatures to require greater accountability from men and women in uniform. ...

*A growing national trend? Most alarming! Seems to pop up in the news every other day somewhere.
Is the "shoot first" mentality going to spill over to humans? May seem it already has.

In 25yrs LEO, I was never bitten, threatened, or ever faced a dog I couldn't make friends with. Growled at and snapped at a few times but never felt a need to unholster a gun to deal with it. I did have to plant a .357 between the eyes of a rather huge and menacing muskrat coming for my ankles once but that's another story ...
Even in the rough neighborhoods where the drug dealers kept some rather nasty toothy critters for protection, never had to face down a dog just doing his job. I did encounter a few poorly trained K-9 officers and their unruly, sometimes dangerous, partners I didn't care to be around!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,509 Posts

·
Administrator
8,104 Posts
this is a bad topic for me, i`m am so sick and tired of reading about a cop that just goes into a yard and shoot the family pet, be it loose or in some case`s tied up, one of mine was threatened to be shot when he was 6 months old, on my own property, it is becoming an epidemic, and there needs to be some legislation, in the city where I live, the cadets are taught to "shoot first", I have never in my lifetime hear of a cop being killed by a dog, their excuse is, "the dog came at me", no shit?, what do you think a dog is going to do when you come into the dogs yard? they always come up to sniff a stranger

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,203 Posts
I spent 34 years working for a Building Dept. in So. Cal. Sometimes I went into the field with the Building Inspector on a request from the Homeowner and the first question we asked was, "Do you have a dog?" . Next was,"Is he tied up ?" . We all carried a steel rod and if for some reason the dog got loose and threatened to bite, we whacked him a good one across the nose. That usually solved the problem.
In retirement, my wife and I were walking our 2 small dogs on a public road, when the idiot behind us,[we all have 4 or more acres and no fences], let her part pit bull loose by mistake and stupidity !! Here comes the dog, growling and snarling with her yelling ,"No. No". I carry a spring sap with a steel tip, along with 2 guns and a long ski pole. First I tried the ski pole , jabbing and poking, while my wife grabbed our 2 pups up into her arms and stood against me, back to back.. That was worthless , so I whipped out the sap and with a full downward swing, whacked that stupid dog, across the head and face. It was like I was pitching a fastball, only downward and each time I hit stupid dog back and forth, he'd back up and come at me again. I have to say that if it was a human I was hitting, they would be dead. Finally the message got through and the dog turned around and ran home. The stupid woman says, " Is anybody hurt ?" like DAH !! I said the next time I' was going to shoot the dog and she says , " Well you're trespassing ", as in it was OK for the dog to attack us. Then I said a few choice words and we went home,[next door to her]. The lightbulb went on, as to who we were and so she shows up apologizing to which I told her that this was the second time it had happened and that the first time was on my property.
The dog got the message. We'd walk in the back of our property and he'd come charging out ,growling, only to see it was me. I'd do a Val Kilmer and say, "Come On!!" , but he knew what would happen.
My point is, there should be various levels of defense. Postmen carry spray and tennis balls. Most dogs are curious and just bark. there needs to be training in the use of force when encountering a dog. I certainly have been there and done that and never killed one yet, just MHO, BB

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Any dog snarling and growling while on your property around here and it's liable to be shot on sight, cop or no cop. Noone will bat an eyelash either. Dogs have their place and the owners around here are all old timers who respect a man's property. Its accepted that if the dog is not where he's supposed to be and if he winds up dead, its the owner's fault period. Too many chickens, lambs, baby goats etc have disappeared due to negligent owners allowing their dogs to run loose. Our sheriff encourages us to deal with loose animals as we see fit, and to not even call him unless there is a disturbance when the owner finds out. Luckily I've neve had to shoot one, but if a snarling growling animal trespasses on my propety an threatens my family with harm, well lets just say that problem will be taken care of.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
the reason is the ever increasing paramilitary raids on people's houses, even for non violent warrants. They get all of this "free" equipment for the government so that every town no matter how small and no matter how unnecessary gets tanks, grenade launchers, plastic explosives, body armor and is basically a small army. Combined with the prevelant thinking by some officers that they are "operators" encourage the over use of force on nearly every single call. More alarming is all of the people getting hurt or killed when they come in on no knock warrants or show up at the wrong address.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,410 Posts
Wonder where the dog owner got the idea BB was trespassing when he was walking on a public road ROW?

As to why a lot of family dogs are getting shot by cops - poor training and meanness. The cops and, maybe in some cases, the dogs as well.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
17 yrs Paramedic following the 25yrs LEO, I go in houses with dogs all the time. Many times, more than one. Dog, in his own house, can be very territorial and extremely defensive of some stranger touching their owner. It can be a bit dicey of a situation 3:00am in the morning with a whole crowd of strangers trooping into the house and maybe an owner incapacitated on the floor or bed.
Faced several situations like that with dog on the bed guarding the sick owner. Still yet, never bitten or threatened to the point where defensive action needed to be taken. I've had far worse encounters with cats ... Don't think they can't be defensive and downright vicious!

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,203 Posts
Too stupid to know who we were and where we lived , even though they drove by our house every day. Also she was too far away to see that we were on the road, not on her [they were renters], property and also so stupid, she didn't know where her property ended and mine began.I should have shot the dog so the blood trail would have shown that we were on a public road, BB
Wonder where the dog owner got the idea BB was trespassing when he was walking on a public road ROW?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Seems like I got some of them military training manuals, especially those used by law enforcement, military, paramilitry, that talks about eliminating the animial sentry upon achieving superiority in a police or military operation, maybe "Kill or Be Killed" is a popular title that comes to mind, so maybe the standard for police is pseudo paramilitary standards now, "kill the sentry". Funny, they consider a dog worthless and not actionable if killed cause its more legal to kill a dog than a person, but oh boy if a police dog gets killed, I think I have heard such terms as life in jail, or etc like the police dog was human.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
58,964 Posts
I spent 34 years working for a Building Dept. in So. Cal. Sometimes I went into the field with the Building Inspector on a request from the Homeowner and the first question we asked was, "Do you have a dog?" . Next was,"Is he tied up ?" . We all carried a steel rod and if for some reason the dog got loose and threatened to bite, we whacked him a good one across the nose. That usually solved the problem.
In retirement, my wife and I were walking our 2 small dogs on a public road, when the idiot behind us,[we all have 4 or more acres and no fences], let her part pit bull loose by mistake and stupidity !! Here comes the dog, growling and snarling with her yelling ,"No. No". I carry a spring sap with a steel tip, along with 2 guns and a long ski pole. First I tried the ski pole , jabbing and poking, while my wife grabbed our 2 pups up into her arms and stood against me, back to back.. That was worthless , so I whipped out the sap and with a full downward swing, whacked that stupid dog, across the head and face. It was like I was pitching a fastball, only downward and each time I hit stupid dog back and forth, he'd back up and come at me again. I have to say that if it was a human I was hitting, they would be dead. Finally the message got through and the dog turned around and ran home. The stupid woman says, " Is anybody hurt ?" like DAH !! I said the next time I' was going to shoot the dog and she says , " Well you're trespassing ", as in it was OK for the dog to attack us. Then I said a few choice words and we went home,[next door to her]. The lightbulb went on, as to who we were and so she shows up apologizing to which I told her that this was the second time it had happened and that the first time was on my property.
The dog got the message. We'd walk in the back of our property and he'd come charging out ,growling, only to see it was me. I'd do a Val Kilmer and say, "Come On!!" , but he knew what would happen.
My point is, there should be various levels of defense. Postmen carry spray and tennis balls. Most dogs are curious and just bark. there needs to be training in the use of force when encountering a dog. I certainly have been there and done that and never killed one yet, just MHO, BB

I used to bike (pedal, not motor) near where I live at now, long ago

between trying not to get hit by a car or dumptruck (narrow country roads) I would get chased by the occasional big dog,

swift kick to the snout if they got close enough stopped them ,

and damn, you go out prepared!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Aren't the "Dog Days" supposed to be in August? Don't we have enough news fillers between Arabs, central American Kids, the IRS, the VA and China trying to start a war over oil rigs?
A quick read didn't show any number comparing dog shootings now vs any time in the last 10 years or so. Nothing but one every 98 minutes.

Summary: World Nut Daily strikes again.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,987 Posts
I don't think anything has changed. I may be wrong, but I suspect this has been going on for years at roughly the same rate. The difference is how the media works today. You would probably think that mass killings and violent crime is on the rise, too, if you listen to the main stream media.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I don't think anything has changed. I may be wrong, but I suspect this has been going on for years at roughly the same rate. The difference is how the media works today. You would probably think that mass killings and violent crime is on the rise, too, if you listen to the main stream media.
I was thinking along those same lines. The KFC dogbit child story stirs up the media, they start looking for more violent dog stories, a bunch of "police shoot dog" stories come up from their search and are printed and aired, bingo! there's a new trend.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,639 Posts
There was an old baglady in South Phoenix, collecting aluminum cans who was attacked by a pack of 5 dogs and is in critical condition. Someone intervened and likely saved her life. When the PD arrived, one of the dogs aggressively approached one of the cops who shot i. The dog owner apparently had problems before with the dogs getting loose in the neighborhood, and had the remaining 4 euthanized. Bet he thinks it will absolve him from responsibility for the attack.

Years ago I lived in South Albuquerque. There was a problem with a nighttime pack of dogs killing sheep - ripping out their guts and leaving them to die.

There were about 6 dogs that belonged to surrounding neighbors who didn't think it was anyones' business concerning them letting the dogs run loose, and that the neighbors should keep their livestock penned.

The area wasn't covered by ABQ PD, the Humane Society wouldn't do anything and the Sheriff's Dpt said we needed to "just deal with it".

A bait goat, buncha friends with rifles and shotguns, and overnite the dog pack went to ZERO Population. We laid out the carcasses in an adjacent field, which included a collie, full-sized poodle, Weimariner, and assorted pit bull, rottweiler types.

Word was out that any dog found running loose after sundown would be eliminated. It briefly made the news with one owner boo-hoo'ing about her poochie viciously killed for 'no reason'. The TV station, and they pointed out that there was actually a reason, and aired one of the pictures of blood-soaked ground and gutted, dead sheep.

Idiot people fail to take into account that their big dumb foo-foo pooch may be good around the grandchildren, but when they form a pack, their temperament changes for the worse.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trooper Shoots And Kills Pit Bull In Cecil Countyhttp://www.wbal.com/article/108388/3/trooper-shoots-and-kills-pit-bull-in-cecil-county

For the second time in as many days, Maryland state troopers have shot and killed a dangerous dog.

Authorities say a large pit bull that reportedly chased a Cecil County woman into her home was shot after it charged a responding officer Monday afternoon.

The incident happened about 2:30 p.m. Monday after two troopers from the North East Barrack responded to a report of an aggressive dog on the loose. Police say the dog was shot after it lunged toward one of the troopers.

Police say residents in the area told investigators that the dog was aggressive and frequently ran loose.

On Sunday, a state trooper shot and killed a pit bull mix that had bitten a woman inside her Centreville home and was about to attack her again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts