Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a M1893 square bottom bolt. It is most unusual because the top of the bolt is cut away in front so the extractor can be easily removed. Who made it? Loewe? Oviedo? FN?

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Bill: Wish I could help. On mine the only markings on them, is a Circle 8 on the bolt sleeve on one and a star on the root of the bolt handle.
Auto part

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
That's easy John. Just tell her you've signed a contract with a local farmer, and as soon as it reaches knee high length, he's coming over to cut and bail it. Im sure she'll believe you.

·
15,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was hoping for a quick answer but, not getting one, I did an inventory. We'll see how well it matches John's inventory.

I had never noticed this type of bolt before and thought it was uncommon. I was wrong.

Cutaway bolts found:
Loewe M1893 Spanish 1896 contract
Loewe M1893 Spanish Navy
FN M1893 (M1895) Uruguayan
DWM M1893 ZAR/Chilean
5 mismatched bolts in FN, Oviedo (2), Cataluna, and Loewe M1893/M1916 rifles

3 rifles were buried too deep to check

The only rifles I could find with uncut bolts were Chilean M1895s and a Carl Gustafs M1894/14 carbine.

-- So it seems the cutaway bolt was a standard feature from all manufacturers of M1893 rifles. --

Sorry to put you to the trouble of checking, John. :sorry:

The Chileans were the ones I started with and studied most closely, but somehow I still managed to disassemble and clean all the others without noticing the cutaway bolts. I normally do not remove the extractor on bolt disassembly.

The cutaway does make it a lot easier to remove and reinstall the extractor but I suspect Mauser changed the design due to its inherent gas seal weakness.

Added: This has been an interesting lesson in perception. I guess when I looked at all those bolts before I focused on the square bottom, thinking "Wow! Look at the funny square bottom. It sure is different from other Mauser bolts." and I never saw the cutaway on the top. Give them something fantastic to watch and they'll never see the other part we slip in - that is exactly how our government works.

Probably the cutaway for the extractor was deleted at the same time the square bottom was deleted, except that Spain continued to make M1893 type bolts for their M1916 rifles.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill: Wish I could help. On mine the only markings on them, is a Circle 8 on the bolt sleeve on one and a star on the root of the bolt handle.
View attachment 778518
Tom,

As it turns out, the cutaway bolt is standard. Thanks for checking.

Regards,
Bill

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,290 Posts
Bill,
I'm checking my 93's now while hiding from my wife in the attic. Something about mowing the grass before it turns into grazing land.
Regards,
John
John, isn't retirement fun? I, too, now have mowing responsibility for 1 1/2 acres, plus lots of extras. Think I'll become a greeter at Walmart or work the tool department at H/D.

·
15,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John, isn't retirement fun? I, too, now have mowing responsibility for 1 1/2 acres, plus lots of extras. Think I'll become a greeter at Walmart or work the tool department at H/D.
Did you hear about the Walmart greeter who kept coming in about 15 minutes late? The supervisor asked him "What did they say to you in your last job when you came in late?".

The greeter replied "Well, they said 'Good morning Admiral, would you like some coffee?'".

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I come to this forum largely to learn. But now I'll have to try to dig out my '93 and have a look at the bolt!
As to 'green' grass, please do include photos with such commentary! From San Diego; land of fire and nice!

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Bill,
Sorry to take so long. I ended up cutting the grass... long, wet and gooey! I can report that the bolts with the smaller bolt face were made by Loewe, DWN, Oberndorf and Oviedo for the Spain, the ZAR, the OVS, and Brazil. Stil looking for the Turkish 93's. The bolts with the heavier face are the Model 1895's for Serbia and Chile. Haven't checked any carbines.

I was hoping for a quick answer but, not getting one, I did an inventory. We'll see how well it matches John's inventory.

I had never noticed this type of bolt before and thought it was uncommon. I was wrong.

Cutaway bolts found:
Loewe M1893 Spanish 1896 contract
Loewe M1893 Spanish Navy
FN M1893 (M1895) Uruguayan
DWM M1893 ZAR/Chilean
5 mismatched bolts in FN, Oviedo (2), Cataluna, and Loewe M1893/M1916 rifles

3 rifles were buried too deep to check

The only rifles I could find with uncut bolts were Chilean M1895s and a Carl Gustafs M1894/14 carbine.

-- So it seems the cutaway bolt was a standard feature from all manufacturers of M1893 rifles. --

Sorry to put you to the trouble of checking, John. :sorry:

The Chileans were the ones I started with and studied most closely, but somehow I still managed to disassemble and clean all the others without noticing the cutaway bolts. I normally do not remove the extractor on bolt disassembly.

The cutaway does make it a lot easier to remove and reinstall the extractor but I suspect Mauser changed the design due to its inherent gas seal weakness.

Added: This has been an interesting lesson in perception. I guess when I looked at all those bolts before I focused on the square bottom, thinking "Wow! Look at the funny square bottom. It sure is different from other Mauser bolts." and I never saw the cutaway on the top. Give them something fantastic to watch and they'll never see the other part we slip in - that is exactly how our government works.

Probably the cutaway for the extractor was deleted at the same time the square bottom was deleted, except that Spain continued to make M1893 type bolts for their M1916 rifles.

Regards,
Bill

·
3,472 Posts
Hi Bob,
Good idea, but it won't work here. My wife just had her left knee replaced 4 weeks ago, and even though I'm going to have the same thing done in August, all my screams of pain are greated without an ounce of sympathy! :)
Regards,
John

When I try to use my bum knee as an exscuse not to mow, the wife says "You have a knee brace - wear it." -- dang tough being married to a school teacher.

·
3,472 Posts
Fred,
Walmart? Go for it! I see you in a satin dayglow orange tool belt over cutoff Levi's held up by Duluth elastic suspenders. The big, wide red type. I'm told that that's what they call "stylin" in Florida! :) x 10.

As far as retirement goes, it's great. Now all I have to do is loose the weight I put on in thre last 15 months! And I haven't even begun to haunt the local gun stores.
Regards,
John

·
15,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Bill,
Sorry to take so long. I ended up cutting the grass... long, wet and gooey! I can report that the bolts with the smaller bolt face were made by Loewe, DWN, Oberndorf and Oviedo for the Spain, the ZAR, the OVS, and Brazil. Stil looking for the Turkish 93's. The bolts with the heavier face are the Model 1895's for Serbia and Chile. Haven't checked any carbines.
Thanks, John. I'm still amazed that we missed this before.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Hi Bob,
Good idea, but it won't work here. My wife just had her left knee replaced 4 weeks ago, and even though I'm going to have the same thing done in August, all my screams of pain are greated without an ounce of sympathy! :)
Regards,
John
Well, your wife's experience should give you some idea of what you will be going through. My guess is she is getting around pretty good by now, but still not at 100%.

I had what my surgeon told me was 'the worst knee he ever worked on' replaced in 2002 (The results of a 1966 football injury that was 'fixed' the only way they knew how back then.). He actually stopped the surgery and came around to the other end of the table to tell me that.

The 'cookie' he removed from my knee, made up of ground up cartilage and bone was about the size and shape of an English muffin! It still sits in his trophy case in his office.

My other knee was done in 2009.

I couldn't walk 50 yards before the pain got to me before that first knee was done. It was BAD! Now, I wonder why I waited so long.

The fun part of the surgery (I was awake through the first one) is listening to all the power tools, and knowing that the guy isn't building a bird house on the other side of that drape! Don't worry, though. They will dope you up enough that you won't really care.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.