Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I have a Ruger Bisley .45 Colt in stainless steel built on a .44 Mag. frame. That is some HOG of a revolver. When I first got the piece the trigger pull must have been close to 10 pounds. I asked a local gun smith if he might be able to lighten the pull and he said absolutely. The hammer drop let off must be all of 2 to 3 pounds now. The Ruger is paired with a Marlin Mod. 1894 lever gun in .45 Colt. If the time ever comes when hand operated weapons are all we are allowed to have in public, those two pieces will be my "go to" weapons. Both pieces could be loaded to near .44 Mag. ballistics for something serious or could be fed with hand loaded shot shells for rabbits and other small game.

·
Gold Bullet Member
943 Posts
.45 Colt nickel plated
.44 cap and ball (yeah yeah I know. Historically inaccurate)
.44 1858 with .45 Colt conversion

5E789515-EC75-4B46-9705-154F35F9FD2D.jpeg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've owned a bunch of single-actions---4 3/4, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, 7 1/2 inch barrels, to find that I prefer the 4 3/4" the best of all---that's just my personal preference...
Regarding Italian single-action revolvers, I've owned several over the years---it goes something like this: You shoot the gun, the firing pin breaks---replace with Colt part, a little spring breaks---replace with Colt part, the hand metal is too soft---replace with Colt part---you see where this is going? Buy a Colt, keep it nice---it goes up in value over the years. Buy an Italian revolver---it goes down in value. So you invest in a quality gun, you have pride in ownership and it holds and increases in value.... Just my opinion...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I ultimately picked up a pair of Uberti 1873 Stallion .22LR 5.5" guns to use for SASS practice (because I have practically a lifetime supply of .22LR ammo, and cowboy action .357 Mag is hard to come by these days and will never be as cheap as I paid years ago for the piles of .22LR), to go along with the .357 Mag Ruger NVs. The Stallions are a pleasure to shoot -- hopefully no small parts will break.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Buy a Colt, keep it nice---it goes up in value over the years. Buy an Italian revolver---it goes down in value. So you invest in a quality gun, you have pride in ownership and it holds and increases in value.... Just my opinion...
I have a Cimarron/Uberti Model P in 32-20. It's a great looking gun with a perfect action and shoots like a laser, but I really can't disagree with the value part. On one hand, it cost less than a third of a new Colt, but it is true that at the end of the day, it's a used gun that is worth less than I paid for, whereas a Colt will hold its value pretty well. The only problem is actually finding a Colt these days. Good luck getting one at or under MSRP ($1800+) or finding one in stock anywhere.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I have a 5.5 inch in 45 convertible and a 4 3/4 in 44-40 and love them both, shoot well, look great. I to have had great luck with the Uberti replicas. I have three of their lever action rifles ( mod 66, 73, and Henry) Never any trouble with those either. I think for the money you can’t go wrong!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My meager collection. Uberti Richards Mason 1860 Conv 38 spl, 7 1/2” 45 Colt black powder frame, 5 1/2” 45 Colt/45 cap, Pietta 4 3/4” bright stainless 45 Colt, and a Model P JR 22 LR. All from Cimarron Arms/Texas Jacks in Fredericksburg TX.
37339222-AFC1-4A1A-9658-B12992E13BFE.jpeg

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
95,661 Posts
My meager collection. Uberti Richards Mason 1860 Conv 38 spl, 7 1/2” 45 Colt black powder frame, 5 1/2” 45 Colt/45 cap, Pietta 4 3/4” bright stainless 45 Colt, and a Model P JR 22 LR. All from Cimarron Arms/Texas Jacks in Fredericksburg TX. View attachment 3827468
If you visit Fredericksburg (and I recommend it, highly), be sure to visit Texas Jack's emporium as well as such other "Do not fail to go here" places as the Nimitz and the historical museum in the old courthouse. bunch of neat B&Bs in town, too.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Clyde don’t forget some kick ass German food. One must do destination is the Old German Bakery on main. Yum yum

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
95,661 Posts
Clyde don’t forget some kick ass German food. One must do destination is the Old German Bakery on main. Yum yum
I thought that went without saying. But yes, a lot of real good traditional German food in town. You won't go hungry.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts