Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought that shooting cowboy loads from a pair of SAAs would be fun, but I have no intention or desire to spend the sort of coin needed to buy actual Colt SAAs, regardless of generation or age. But a pair of Uberti 1873 Cattleman wheelguns looks like nearly the same amount of fun, at a fraction of the price. Does anyone have any useful advice for me? Should I look only at the Cattleman II, which has the internal hammer disengagement safety? Is the 5.5" barrel the most popular? The most fun? The easiest to holster? All thoughts are welcome -- I have never owned a SAA revolver.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a second El Patron in 4 3/4”. Uberti did me right. First one was returned because sights were off, they fixed it and sent it back. Then the recoil plate eroded to the point the primer, after firing, would flow into the cavity and I couldn’t cock the hammer without turning the cylinder by hand. Returned again. Uberti representative called me and asked what type loads I was shooing in it. Told him one box of cowboy loads and the rest black powder, around 7-10 boxes worth. He said the top strap had the worst case of gas cutting he’d ever seen and he was sending me a replacement pistol. No problems with new pistol after about 2,000 black powder rounds.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've had one of the EMF Hartford SAA .357 for over 25 years,Similier to Uberti made by Armi San Marco. I've had three Colt SAA 45LC and two 44-40. Third and custom shop models.

The repos are great way to enjoy the SAA

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,522 Posts
I shoot the Ruger 1st model Vaqueros absolutely the best. 45 colt 7.5 grains unique 250gr lead bullets I have 2 4.3/4 "and 2 5" the only problem was the original case hardened finish was fading out so Ruger reblued them for me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You want a sixgun that won't get out of shape...Ruger is the way to go.
I already own two other "modern" Ruger wheelguns (a 7.5" Redhawk and snubby 2.5" Super Redhawk Alaskan, both in .44 Rem Mag) and I really like them, so maybe sticking with Ruger is what I should do. I hadn't really thought about that. More investigation seems appropriate. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For me, 7.5” is great to shoot, but not to carry. It’s gets harder each year to draw a long barrel from a strong side holster. Seems it just keeps coming out when my arm is scrunched up at my shoulder wondering how much higher I have to draw the pistol. When sitting, I always seem to mash the barrel in the ground. Cross draw makes it easier to do both, but a shorter barrel fixes both of my problems the same and is lighter as well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I love that there are people who love their Uberti, and like shooting single action western-style pistols.

(More a Glock man myself, but I get it! ;-) )

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love that there are people who love their Uberti, and like shooting single action western-style pistols.

(More a Glock man myself, but I get it! ;-) )
I occasionally shoot a G19 9mm and Beretta 76 .22LR in steel plate matches, EDC a Walther PPS 9mm or Ruger LCP .380ACP depending on mood and attire, carry a Colt Trooper .357Mag or Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44Mag depending on locale in case of emergencies when hunting (where I'm usually solo), etc. and so on. Cowboy Action Shooting is new to me but I've wanted to try it for a while, so I'm jumping in. Plus it looks like a hoot to dress up like a cowboy, which is apparently required, as is adopting some cowboy-type name, in order to participate. Just like playing cowboy when we were little kids, but with real guns! Variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
howiebearse, that's really something! I'm definitely leaning towards Rugers, having done some reading. I'll PM you with a question or two, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I settled on a pair of slicked up Ruger New Vaqueros in .357 Mag so that I will use the same ammo for the wheelguns and my .357 Mag Browning B-92 (a Winchester 1892 clone). And I joined SASS, where I am now known as NOSTRUM DAMUS.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
95,661 Posts
Very nice burl grips on the SAs. Who did them? And what sort of wood?

As to OP's question about barrel length, my own experience suggests that 5.5" barrels handle best, but the 4.75" (yes, les than 1" shorter, but it counts) is quicker coming out and a trifle handier when being holstered - nd not that much les shootable than a 5.5". Others can (and bet some will) differ, and I won't ay anything about that. i will note that my 6.5" .357 Blackhawk makes a good gun for longer-range shooting, but it (or a 7.5") is a bit unhandy when it comes to holstering, and on the draw, it works best from a low-slung rig like a movie rig. Which ain't all that handy to wear most of the time in real life...

Almost all of my DAs are 4", and I like them that size.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice burl grips on the SAs. Who did them? And what sort of wood?

As to OP's question about barrel length, my own experience suggests that 5.5" barrels handle best, but the 4.75" (yes, les than 1" shorter, but it counts) is quicker coming out and a trifle handier when being holstered - nd not that much les shootable than a 5.5". ...
I got 5.5" barrels. I also recently learned, unrelated to this entire thread, why Ruger makes 4.62" barrels (117mm) for the Vaquero and other similarly odd barrel lengths like 4.2" (106.7mm) on its Redhawk revolvers. Blame Canada, where any handgun having a barrel less than 105mm long is completely prohibited. These Rugers are JUST BARELY LEGAL in Canada and can thus be exported to, and sold in, Canada (subject to their own version of Kalifornia-style gun regulations).

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
95,661 Posts
I got 5.5" barrels. I also recently learned, unrelated to this entire thread, why Ruger makes 4.62" barrels (117mm) for the Vaquero and other similarly odd barrel lengths like 4.2" (106.7mm) on its Redhawk revolvers. Blame Canada, where any handgun having a barrel less than 105mm long is completely prohibited. These Rugers are JUST BARELY LEGAL in Canada and can thus be exported to, and sold in, Canada (subject to their own version of Kalifornia-style gun regulations).
Look into post-WWI Luger production, where barrel length was regulated by international treaty (part of the Versailles mess). Certain lengths were no-no under it, so...

·
Gold Bullet Member
943 Posts
I'm drooling over here! Some very nice sixguns guys. I only got into SA wheelguns a few years ago, having never really been much of a wheelgun guy anyhow. I'll post some pics of my Uberti's later.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts