Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
post some up! tell us some stories!
heres mine.
its a 2 bbl set, pigeon plate 4 w/b carving. I shoot it every week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
WOW! Way up there on the drool scale. Have owned many and have none left. If I had a set like that I would still have it. You are using it for what the Model 12 is best at. That and waterfowl pass shooting. I tried them for upland hunting and found them to be pretty heavy. Tried 16' and 20's and they were better for my hunting area. Even bought cutdown, Polychoked and Cutts but they all went away. Hard to beat the M-12 for slick and smooth operation, especially with half a dozen hours of polishing/slicking up the action. Done well, the gun will almost cycle itself in recoil. Top of the line from a bygone era, all others are pretenders in the slide action type. The machining and fitting cannot be recreated today, or tomorrow for that matter, for a profitable product. Again, very nice. More drool.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
My dad was a hard core Model 12 fan. He had other shotguns over the years, but always had a couple of Mod 12s around. When he died he had all of them - 12, 16, 20 & 28 ga. Had never picked up a mod 42 in 410 cause he didn't like the 410.
I got them when he died and gradually sold off all but the 28 ga, which I dearly love - Almost as much as my mod 11-48 Rem!
I am a self loader fan and have the above Rem + a Rem mod 11 20 ga and a Browning A5 12 ga for my heavy hunting.
Sarge

·
Silver Bullet member
48,437 Posts
Not a fan .....your looks very attractive.....
tried for black diamond once in box....couldn't close the deal before his son stold it sold it for drugs...
Remington 31 trap I wanted too at one time don't own one now seem quicker smoother and faster to point.
Own expensive Italian over Unders instead ...European doubles...
Only own two pumps assult types...mossburgs.

Would mind shooting that one....

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,349 Posts
I like the Model 12, though have always seemed a little bulky looking. Still, good-feeling guns. Especially the 20s on a smaller frame.

But favorite pump gun is the Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight. Copy of the old Remington "Ball=bearing pump", and they are real slick.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Have one...never fired it. My father bought it new it 62 or 63 when he was in the Navy. His ship docked in Guantanamo Bay for a few days, he bought it and had it shipped home. I'll get some pictures up ASAP. Still have original box and paper work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've always admired the Mod12. Bought a very nice 1950's 12ga several years ago as I thought it would clean up nicely which it did.
Took it to the gun club to shoot it and it kicked like a mule! Just too light for comfortable shooting. Sold it the next week.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I learned to shoot shotguns with a Rem. 870 20 ga. When I got my first M12 I was hooked. I've owned a dozen, but have just 3 now, two 20's and a 16, plus a 42. My nicest one was a rusted beater when I bought it, a 20 ga. with solid rib made in '37. I draw filed the pits out of the receiver and polished it. I took it to Italy with me and had it engraved by two master engravers, Giacomo Fausti and Giovanni Steduto. Fausti did the scrolls and Steduto did the inlays. When I got back I eventually restocked it and carved it in Winchester Style A. I occasionally get flack from Win. collectors who don't like guns that have been messed with. I only restore guns that are rusted junk that are too far gone to be collectors items. Gary

Attachments

·
93,349 Posts
I've always admired the Mod12. Bought a very nice 1950's 12ga several years ago as I thought it would clean up nicely which it did.
Took it to the gun club to shoot it and it kicked like a mule! Just too light for comfortable shooting. Sold it the next week.
I suspect the recoil issue was caused by the stock of the Model 12 not fitting you well, rather than the gun's weight. Could be wrong about that, of course, but I look at the Model 12 specs and don't see it as being terribly light.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with todays new lighter loads, kick isn't an issue anymore.
but then again, I grew up on 3 dram loads, so anything else less to me, is a squib. :>

·
Registered
616 Posts
When I was 2 days old, my dad bought me a brand new Model 12 16ga. at monkey wards. I have usedit over the years to eradicate the quail populatin in my county.Seriously, I haven't seen one in 10 years .It was made in '47 ,just like me . The only sport he liked was hunting, I had to get my ball glove & bat from Grandpap !

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
What, Prey Tell, is a "Brownchester"???
My Mod 12, 28 ga is about a 40 vintage. I'm the 3rd owner and the first owner never shot it.
Sarge

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Sarge,

The Brownchester is a Model 12 made by Browning for 2 years in 1991 and 92. I couldn't afford the 28 gauge in Winchester. They are made in Japan with very nice wood and vent rib. Congrats on yours. I see also you were with an AHC. I was with the 176th AHC.

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gary,

Yup, all different. Top to bottom, 12-1956, 16-1947, 20-1957, 28-1991, and the 42 is 1954. The 12 gauge was never fired until I got it about 6 years ago. They all get out to play.

Bill

·
93,349 Posts
I learned to shoot shotguns with a Rem. 870 20 ga. When I got my first M12 I was hooked. I've owned a dozen, but have just 3 now, two 20's and a 16, plus a 42. My nicest one was a rusted beater when I bought it, a 20 ga. with solid rib made in '37. I draw filed the pits out of the receiver and polished it. I took it to Italy with me and had it engraved by two master engravers, Giacomo Fausti and Giovanni Steduto. Fausti did the scrolls and Steduto did the inlays. When I got back I eventually restocked it and carved it in Winchester Style A. I occasionally get flack from Win. collectors who don't like guns that have been messed with. I only restore guns that are rusted junk that are too far gone to be collectors items. Gary
That is very nice embellishment. And wood, though as a matter of personal preference I like simple checkering (well executed) rather than carving on stocks. Matter of personal preference, not to be taken as "Why did you allow that to happen"..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have 2 28ga's myself. one is 100% correct 1959 skeet, and the other is a ws2 solid rib.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hey Sarge,
The Brownchester is a Model 12 made by Browning for 2 years in 1991 and 92. I couldn't afford the 28 gauge in Winchester. They are made in Japan with very nice wood and vent rib. Congrats on yours. I see also you were with an AHC. I was with the 176th AHC.
Bill
My 28 is a regular old plain bbl field grade. My dad wasn't a rib guy and so I never became on altho I did have a mat rib A5 Browning for a while.
Where was the 176th located? That unit sounds familiar so I may have flown joint missions with them? The 281st was in Nha Trang and flew all over II Korps and a bit in the south edge of I Korps. Primary purpose in life was to support MAC V SOG altho we also worked with the SF Mike Forces.
Sarge

1 - 20 of 32 Posts