Gunboards Forums banner

Who likes a Huey???

5K views 55 replies 37 participants last post by  Clyde 
#1 ·
I parked myself and just soaked in the music it made while it was making the rounds around the Port Clinton area in Ohio

#29 ·
When I was in grade school we were close to Fort Walters and Santa Clause would come to the school every year in a loach or a UH-1. Since I had Nieghbor kids whose dad was air cavalry in Vietnam and knew some older kids that had recently shipped it was a little weird but cool at the same time. Had my one and only helicopter ride in a “Huey” that was enough to last me a lifetime.

A few years ago they were doing work
On the electric transmission lines behind my house and they had an old “Huey” with a platform rigged off the left side skids with a guy sitting out there with a welder just working away, welding In towers and line braces. That bird had to be overloaded with juevos.

The sounds and sights of a “huey” always puts me in mind of the Airplane’s album Surrealistic Pillow. Yeah I like them but it’s kind of weird.

#48 ·
That's a sound I know very, very well. I grew up west of Lansing, Michigan and my parents' house was in the flight path of the Hueys that flew out of the Air National Guard base in Grand Ledge. Their house was in a subdivision in a valley formed by the Grand River. The Hueys would come in from the west and fly over the valley on their return path to the base. My room was on the second floor of the house, and my desk would literally shake as they flew overhead.

This post has been deleted
#49 ·
Rode in a few of them (Hueys) back the Vietnam days, and some OH-6s, too. Curst things tried to kill me on more than one occasion, as did a CH-34 one time). Still hate them, once all. They can be as iconic as they want to and I will still dislike them. Intensely.

#52 ·
"My Bai Whop Whop Whop" I had forgotten that one. I had remembered "My Bai Caribou."
Lots of rides, some were cool. Also got winched up into one on a rigid litter, bullets hitting the ship and gunners firing back. Most all the pilots were just out of high school and could do amazing things with them. You's see a lot of prior service officers and EMs who re-upped for flight school.

#56 ·
Better you than me. A few years ago the local Vietnam Veterans Assn. got a Huey from Ft. Hood (apparently kept as a display and recruiting tool; all dolled up for the 1st Cav - and I was in the First Team for a few years, though at Hood rather than in SEA) to come down on Veteran's Day. I was offered a (free) ride. Told them "No thanks, I don't like riding them". Still feel that way. I'll get in one on duty or out of medical necessity. Not otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.