Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I used to like Huey helicopters, until I watched the disturbing footage of actor Vic Morrow when he was killed filming the Twilight Zone movie....Bodes

·
Registered
634 Posts
Logged over 800 flight hours as a crew chief between '81-'86.

UH-1D, UH-1M & UH-1H

Slinks & Hogs!

(Slicks = Cargo & Strap Hangers, Hogs = Gunships!)

Still my favorite. :love:

Reactions: MBY and moosedog

·
Registered
41 Posts
A few 10 years or so ago they had the traveling Vietnam Wall displayed near my house at a college. The Huey flew in so low over my house it knocked things off the shelves. I loved the sound. I packed the kids up in a stroller and hiked on over to see the display. The pilot saw me and the kids and said he recognized us because he saw us come out our back door when he flew over. I told him I loved it but will need to clean up a bit of a mess when we got back home. He apologized and said he realized he was a bit low when he caught leaves in his skids from our trees. You could feel the rotors thumping in your chest, he referred to that as “The Sound of Freedom”.
One of my favorite books is ChickenHawk by Robert Mason

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Like Hueys but the sound, Not so much “love” for me. I was an EVAC Hospital Lab / Bloodbank tech in VN. The sound of a Huey approaching sent me to the Helo pad and ER to unload GIs from the Hueys and then draw blood samples from the seriously wounded. The sound brought gore and death I still remember.
At night the arrival of a chopper would wake us all up expecting a call to work momentarily...pissed off many times when we found out we laid awake for some time because a chopper jockey was just bringing a Nurse back from a joy ride date.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Oh that is kind of nostalgic! Made me want to cue The Doors and Jim Morison singing, "This is the end, my only friend the end..." :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, sorta, but not exactly. As it happens, I worked for Bell Helicopter for a while before I was drafted - rough turning main rotor hubs. I always wondered whether I might be hanging under one of them whenever I rode in a Huey. Then, there was the 'Jesus Nut'... I don't really like helicopters - they aren't aerodynamic 😕

PRD1 - mhb - MIke

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have unlimited respect for Huey pilots who logged thousands of hours in Vietnam.
They were dedicated and dependable in runs where folks on the ground were trying to kill them.
On a good day they got every one back, On a bad day their next of kin got notified.
Any man who flies into a hot L.Z. on an evac , sits on the ground while under small arms fire until all are safely loaded, and gets out of there earned joyrides with nurses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
20 years Army Avaition Retired. Mostly OH-58A Kiowa Mech+TI. After active duty worked full time at a DOD flight facility exclusively on the UH-1H. Without the everyday distractions really got to know the aircraft. After phase out of the UH-1 went back to school for the UH-60. Worked on just about every Army aircraft except the Mohawk. The UH-1 was my favorite. Basic to the bone gearboxes and control tubes.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If you were ever extracted from a bad situation on a Huey, you have fond memories of them, I do. The "Yards" in Vietnam did not have a word for "Helicopter" so would say "My Bai Woop Woop" the My Bai being airplane, not sure I spelled that correctly. The distinctive sound of a Huey is hard to forget. In Thailand, I do not remember how many times I heard that "Woop Woop" sound coming and go out to see the Huey we were expecting, but it was a Thai Farm vehicle with a single cylinder, Kubota Diesel engine. They had a very basic, 4 wheel vehicle to drive to the fields, and then you could take that Diesel engine off the vehicle, and hook it up to a water pumping system to irrigate the rice paddies. John

·
Registered
19 Posts
I spent 6 years as a Military flight instructor on the modern version (B412-CF) of the ole Huey. 2200hrs flying them, though I still prefered flying the CH124 Sea King, now that was a great old bird.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love the Huey... I’ve never worked one although, I was a crew chief on MH53s, HH60G and now I work sustainment on the aging UH-1N.. very reliable aircraft, but boy those T400 Reduction Gear Boxes are like hens teeth lately.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,752 Posts
It is a helicopter. Accordingly, I neither like nor trust it.

Fear it somewhat less than CH-34, CH-37, or CH-47.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My very first helicopter ride was on a Huey, a National Guard bird in 1995 doing a mock insertion into the Laramie Mountains in Wyoming. The thing seemed to throb as we rode.

I did a lot of Blackhawk rides later in my military career, but what's it they say? You never forget your first.

·
Super Moderator
6,621 Posts
I did some riding around in Hueys 1968 - 1970 in II Corps.

From 2008 - 2012 I rode everything in Eastern Afghanistan - Russian, French and American heliopters and a variety of fixed wing. There was one Huey operating - the Canadians provided some limited transport between Kabul and Jalalabad and eastern Kunar province. Here we're flying into Asadabad, the capital of Kunar.

4-14-11 Flight Lbad to ABad 026.JPG

·
Registered
187 Posts
Helicopters are like bunble bees they really shouldn't fly. Spent some time as a crew chief on 34s and later 46s. Never did a Huey or a 53 . Haven't really missed it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts