Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
WOW!! I tink that is the nicest Mosin I've seen period! Looks like it came right off the assembly line except for the butt plate.
Was certainly a great addition to someones collection! :D

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
It certainly is a nice one. I've only seen a few like it.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,931 Posts
Must...remove...drool....from....keyboard....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks to be a very nice condition rifle, very strange thing about it though is the "inspectors marking" on the left wrist, that style marking was used by US Military arsenals in WW1 (initials in box on left wrist), during/just after WW1 the only arsenals were Springfield, & Rock Island which used these marking, 1891 (M1916 in US service) Mosins, M1917's (Enfields) were never stamped like that originally as it was a US Govt arsenal stamping, it wasn't used until WW2 for other than US Govt arsenal production, it can be found on post WW1 rework M1917's & 03 Springfields but most of these date from the early 30's & later, the RA from what I can find should stand for Raritan Arsenal w/the other's the inspectors initials, again should date that stamp to the 30's at the very earliest & indicate a rearsenal inspection. The Mosins were sold off immediately after WW1 & I've never seen or heard of them being being redone in the US, also never saw or heard of one w/a rearsenal inspection marking, the rifle does look to be original, parts, finish configuration etc, the presence of that marking on that rifle is a very strange one to me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree that the inspector cartouche leaves some head scratching. However everything looks legit, and premium examples of U.S. accepted M1916 rifles are few and far between and there has not been alot of serious indepth study. There fore I would consider this legit unless proof positive can be made to refute it. I add my congratulations to the buyer!

Semper Fi, Rob

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
"I can't believe the seller took it apart!"

I agree! That would have been a downer for me....The pins are still in place on my Remington M91. That example is in slightly better condition than my rifle - I know of another Remington M1891 that is in better shape - It resides somewhere in the spud state...;)

Pahtu.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,538 Posts
Maybe it is my eyes, but that "RA" looks more like "BA" to me. I wonder if that is not just somebody's initials in the arsenal style.

If it is "RA" from that arsenal, maybe it was kept in a display cabinet for reasons unknown until "liberated". Once again, don't you wish they could talk.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Benicia Arsenal "rework".

Nice looking rifle, but the marking detracts from the value IMO.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW the seller is the same person that just sold the 1937 Tula for $600.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,669 Posts
I think the seller could have taken a few more photos though!
No kidding! I've never seen so many pix in a GB listing. OTOH, after scanning through them all, you feel like you need to wash the cosmoline residue off your hands. Good pictures sell rifles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts