Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I know I need to replace my slide stop from an earlier thread, I found some other goodies at Mac.com, such as 19lb spring. But I was wondering if anyone had experience with phosphodot sites? I'm a little skeptical of glued on dots?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Now that I know I need to replace my slide stop from an earlier thread, I found some other goodies at Mac.com, such as 19lb spring. But I was wondering if anyone had experience with phosphodot sites? I'm a little skeptical of glued on dots?

I use those dots and am happy to have them on the small military style sights the Maks have. However, I don't use the superglue that comes with the kit. I did once, but it didn't take much to pop the dots off. Now I use epoxy. Now they really stick! You'll get 8 dots (IIRC) and a strip of material that you can use for the front sight.

They helped me a lot, my eyes aren't what they used to be, and those thin little front sights can be a bear to see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all your help pwhited! I guess I'm the epitome of cheapness? I actually got some 'glow in the dark' paint and tried dabbing it on but it stayed on about 2 secs! I also have a Ballester-Molina 45acp with similarly dismal sights so it sounds like it might help as well there. The epoxy makes sense but I imagine the degreasing step will ultimately determine the grip?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks for all your help pwhited! I guess I'm the epitome of cheapness? I actually got some 'glow in the dark' paint and tried dabbing it on but it stayed on about 2 secs! I also have a Ballester-Molina 45acp with similarly dismal sights so it sounds like it might help as well there. The epoxy makes sense but I imagine the degreasing step will ultimately determine the grip?

I degreased with some denatured alcohol prior to the epoxy. It takes just a little to stick the dots on, the end of a toothpick is what I used to apply it. The fast setting kind works well and speeds things up a bit.

I bought some of the Brite Sights paint and have had very little luck with it staying put. I like the dots from makarov.com, they're inexpensive and they work for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts