Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a representative 91/30 from 1941-1945. All I want is a piece to add to my ww2 collection of the major belligerents. From the numbers, it would appear that a 1943/44 Izhevsk to be the most common and therefore cheapest? Not concerned with refurb or counterbored as long as it can be shot on occasion. I guess just a plain jane piece that fills a slot in that time frame. This is not a want to buy-yet. Any suggestions on what to look for? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I would like to buy a representative 91/30 from 1941-1945. All I want is a piece to add to my ww2 collection of the major belligerents. From the numbers, it would appear that a 1943/44 Izhevsk to be the most common and therefore cheapest? Not concerned with refurb or counterbored as long as it can be shot on occasion. I guess just a plain jane piece that fills a slot in that time frame. This is not a want to buy-yet. Any suggestions on what to look for? Thanks in advance
By that standard, yes, a '43 is most common and cheapest.

Just so you know, I started out the same way wanting ONE Mosin for the exact same reason. It doesn't work.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have a Polish m44 and a Soviet m44, so it's too late already ! Too long in the tooth for a bunch more but would like to fill this one slot.:) I put my 2 M44s in the same room hoping for a litter, but nothing yet........

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Being 1943 does not mean its any less accurate than any other year 91/30, just more made of them in this time slot and war was turning in favor of Soviets. A 43 is mid war and a good choice to fill a spot in the collection per criteria OP stated. Since so many are out there, one can be particular on condition and still get a great shooting rifle at a fine price

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,571 Posts
If you want a good looking one and are not into picking through crates at local stores or gun shows, Alan's Armory often has some wartime 91/30s that are individually graded for bore condition as well as asthetics. Used to be a gunboard sponsor. Maybe still is. I have several pristine examples from him.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Since you are only looking to purchase one 91/30 I would recommend a '42 or '43 Izhvesk. The more "beaver-chewed" the better. The rough, crude, hastily-made machine marks on those receivers show the will to fight, survive, and ultimately prevail in a way far more eloquent than words.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Since you are only looking to purchase one 91/30 I would recommend a '42 or '43 Izhvesk. The more "beaver-chewed" the better. The rough, crude, hastily-made machine marks on those receivers show the will to fight, survive, and ultimately prevail in a way far more eloquent than words.
I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
281 Posts
So much this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Didn't even think about that. Those are more pricey-No?
With the steep rise in the cost of all Mosin-Nagants, it probably makes more sense to spend an little more and get a far more collectible rifle like the M-38.
The M-38 is a pretty spiffy firearm. I was fortunate to add my third one with a recent gun-show walk-in for $150.00. I felt guilty later but not much! :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With the steep rise in the cost of all Mosin-Nagants, it probably makes more sense to spend an little more and get a far more collectible rifle like the M-38.
The M-38 is a pretty spiffy firearm. I was fortunate to add my third one with a recent gun-show walk-in for $150.00. I felt guilty later but not much! :)
I like the m38 also. Just wanted to get an example of what the average Russian soldier would have carried.
Maybe have to get the m38 also. This is getting complex..........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.