Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be selling another rifle to help fund another purchase. My question to the collective is which would you sell???

A: A 1940 Tula SVT 40 made from an SVT 38 receiver. A rare item to encounter. I've heard of there being 4 of these having been discovered over the years. 2 of them are in the possession of Vic. Who said he had only ever heard of the 2 who has. My post about it promoted that number to 4.

B: A 1934 Finn captured PE with the original screw holes intact. Another rare bird.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
A: A 1940 Tula SVT 40 made from an SVT 38 receiver. A rare item to encounter. I've heard of there being 4 of these having been discovered over the years. 2 of them are in the possession of Vic. Who said he had only ever heard of the 2 who has. My post about it promoted that number to 4.
Is this a refurbished import? Just curious...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Which one to sell?
That depends on what your needs are as far as funds are concerned & as for your collecting focus also.
SVT's are fun to shoot & there are very few in the US, whereas there are many, many Mosins around every corner.
I'd give up the Mosin. Would it be safe to bet that you have many more Mosins than SVT's?

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Yes it is a refurb.
If you have to sell one, sell the SVT. Its nothing special at least compared to the 34 PE. Just a (relatively) common variation of the SVT38 that was rebuilt into the SVT40 config in the 1950s or 1960s. Nothing to get that excited about IMO. Different story if it were a rebuilt '39 Izhevsk or even better a '40 Podolsk SVT38.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At this point I would have to disagree. The receiver has the sniper rails milled into it. If it were a later rebuild, they would not be present. But because they are, I would think that this is an earlier rifle built into the current configuration.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts