Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that some made in the U.S. AK receivers are better - some MUCH better - than others, but which ones? Are the ones on the current batch Yugo AKs like J & G Sales has pretty good?

Thanks in advance for any info...

Scott

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Most people are pretty well in agreement that the current best AK receivers made are the Armory USA/Global Trades, and the Nodakspud.

The Nodak are the highest rated, with the Armory a VERY close second.
Both are high quality with properly located holes, and most important: They're fully hardened, not hardened in spots like many others like the Ohio Ordnance Works receivers.

Most think the Nodakspud AK-74 receiver is the most authentic ever made. It very closely copies the original Russian receiver, right down to the "bulges" on the bottom where the trigger is.

http://www.globaltrades.com/

http://www.nodakspud.com/

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would say the same ,but toss the ewbanks right in with NDS and global trades . I would put global trades in third because of the location of their markings. ewbanks have proper hole location and are fully hardened also . And like NDS they are marked on the bottom of the receiver ,Global marks theirs on the side .. .

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,645 Posts
In my experience I'd put the nodak as the best for a no tweak build, my armory and ewbanks both need about the same amount of tweaking with the Ewbanks being cheaper and marked on the bottom, so I would put the Nodak well and above the others, then ewbanks (price and markings) and armory as the best to build on. I really avoid the rest due to flaws I'd rather not mess with.

OOW's are soft except for the pin holes.
Vulcans seem to be hard except for the ejector which is bad
Heese are basically a prevulcan and suffer the same problem except some I've seen weren't hardened.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
After all the problems Ewbanks went through in previous years you'd better be careful that someone's not palming an old dog off on you.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whose receivers are on the Century Yugo AKs frequently seen for sale? One guy told me DCI but I have no idea who they are, or if they're any good.

Is NoDakSpud run by those two guys from the Minnesota milsurp company that went under two years or so ago (Harlan and Mike-something...)? If so I have met them and seen their receivers at the SAR show...

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
With NDS being available I honestly don't see why someone would go with another make.

Cost really isn't a factor as there really isn't much difference. Unless you fold, go NDS and be happy.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,645 Posts
OOW IS crap. Nodak is the best. Ewbanks?? People still want to use those??
I didn't say want to build on, I pretty much use only DCI but I would build on a Ewbanks or Armory and feel I could make an AK that would last. The OOW's being not heat treated and out of spec on the selector turns me off to those, the spotty QC of the Vulcan and Heese also makes them not worth the time to build on IMO. I've been built on gen 1, 2 and 3 Ewbanks, none had any flaws that would be terminal to the build.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
NDS without a doubt is the best-and it helps they are sponsor as well.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any chance I can get these questions answers? I'd sure appreciate it...

Whose receivers are on the Century Yugo AKs frequently seen for sale? One guy told me DCI but I have no idea who they are, or if they're any good.

Is NoDakSpud run by those two guys from the Minnesota milsurp company that went under two years or so ago (Harlan and Mike-something...)? If so I have met them and seen their receivers at the SAR show...

·
Registered
125 Posts

The Century Yugo M70 (UF and fixed stock) rifles and Yugo M72 rifles are assembled on receivers made by DC Industries Inc.
NoDak Spud LLC markets DCI receivers but with NDS model numbers.

NoDak Spud LLC is owned by Harlan and Mike. We both worked for FAC of America until that company went kaput in June of 2005.

Thanks.
Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
NDS is the best...bar none, also the best selection of receivers for specific kits. Arsenal makes a very good receiver and Ewbanks are alright too but both are a bit rough compared to NDS. The rest are crap IMO. Stick with NDS and you'll never be disappointed.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, I understand now - thanks a lot, guys! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts