Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy one of two Type I rifles near me. One is a very early serial number around A800. It has a cleaning rod, but the bluing is worn and the two piece stock is starting to separate. The bore is pristine. Price is $450.

The second is a later rifle in the upper K block. The stock is in better condition, with the splice still in solid shape. There is one gouge that runs the length of the butt, though it's not that deep. The bluing is overall much shinier, definitely original, but there is freckling on the exposed part of the barrel. It will probably clean up with some brass wool. The bore is just as nice as the early rifle. The price on this one is $350.

So do I spend more for the early rifle with cleaning rod, or go for the one in overall better shape? Are there repro cleaning rods for these, or can repro type 38 rods be made to fit?

I don't have much experience with these Carcanosakas, so is there anything really specific I should look for?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Are there repro cleaning rods for these, or can repro type 38 rods be made to fit?
As far as I know, there are no repro Type I rods on the market, and a Type 38 rod will NOT fit. The diameter of the Type 38 rod is slightly larger and will not fit into the cleaning rod hole on the Type I.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
prices keep going up. I just bought one last year, had the rod and a sling in nice shape. an A block and paid $350 for it. Id follow bayoneds advice. one may be the short butt and which point get both!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.