Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stamp is not fully impressed so it is difficult to see at best. It looks close to the series 5 mark shown in Duncan McCollum's JAPANESE RIFLES OF WORLD WAR II but not completely. I have looked with a magnifying glass under all kinds of different lighting angles and the drawing is what one can see for sure. There may have been more at the bottom where the stamp thins out, can't tell. Any ideas?

Steve

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
That's not a series mark, but an inspection mark used on Mukden rifles and carbines. It's the Katakana "ho" and the initial of Hoten, Japanese pronunciation of Mukden.
Let's see a photo of the whole gun, looks like you have a nice'un.

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Edokko.:eek: I'm still learning. I see you guys talking about the series of various rifles, then I saw the list of series marks in the book and assumed that inspection mark was how one figured out that series part. I don't see any mark on my rifle which could be a series stamp. Where are they usually located?

Here's a link to a photo of the rifle, also that sword you gave me the translation of the mei on the tang. http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6506&d=1190900441

Steve

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Wrong end of the serial, however you were partially right. it is the same "ho" as the 5th series stamp :) Long as you have the right ho' lifes all golden lol...Nice gun.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Hi Steve, the series # is a preappointed string of Japanese Katakana and Hiragana characters to be placed in lieu of high digit serial numbers, and were incorporated into the serial numbering system in the late 30's. You don't see the series mark on your Mukden carbine because they did not incorporate the system until the late rifle production.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts