Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So need some help deciding on which one to get, an sks or an ak-47 or ak-74? What are the pros and cons of each? All input appreciated!

·
Administrator
19,258 Posts
Well all are plentiful to find and ammo is not an issue although 5.45 can be spotty. Recoil on the 74 is pleasant. All are fun to shoot. The SKS will be the most affordable.

Reactions: 1911crazy

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
-74 ammo is around .20C a round at fleet farm.
Tula 5.56 is around .30C a round at walmart.
not sure on -47 ammo.

5.56 you won't have to worry about corrosive ammo.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are SKS's going for nowadays? I saw a matching Chinese sks with a 20rd mag go for $350.00 at a gunshow about a year ago. Should I get a Chinese or russkie? Any luck with the tapco 20rd mags?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd avoid the Tapco mags (nothing but a hassle in my experience).

The Chinese SKS's are decently made, although not as pretty as the Russian ones.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
52,367 Posts
SKS's are cheaper but most consider the AK a better rifle in several ways. I think the AKM is more robust and I like the ability to take detachable mags.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So about the stripper clip guide on the sks, can you load single rounds by hand into the magazine or do you have to have a stripper clip?

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
strippers work just as any other internal magazine rifle (think mauser/mosin etc).

What's your budget?

The AK 74 deal going down over at classic arms... is very tempting if you want to get on the ak platform.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not a fan of AK's I went the SKS (Yugo) route. They gives you alittle more punch, my Yugo averages 2504 FPS with Tula 122gr FMJ. Definately more accurate then any AK I've ever shot. Never shot a 5.45 so I can't say anythiing about them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My two 74's shoot much better than any of my 7.62x39 ak's ever did with ball ammo.....also better than my two russian sks's......Just recently traded for a yugo 59/66 and with yugo brass cased ball it is about on par with my 74's....this is at 200 yard shooting.

Frank

·
Platinum Bullet Member
39,230 Posts
For what it's worth.....I shot the SKS just once after I bought an AK.

SKS might be a little more accurate, if that's important to you. The Russian models are fine but I'd never pay the premium they command unless you want one for the collector value of it.

·
Registered
17,916 Posts
Since you are wondering what you want, buy the AK. Its on the anti gun hit list like the AR / M4 system of weapons and will be problematic to buy at some point if politics go sour in the future. You can always find a SKS at that point in time but magazine (high volume mags) fed military rifles like the AK will be high demand and short supply. AK right now are very cheap to buy. This may be your best chance to ever have one.

However if your wallet can't go that deep, buy a Soviet or Yugo SKS. They are higher end in quality than Chicom SKS's. I own them all, its how I see the quality of SKS rank.

A careful analysis of ammo supply here and in the past shows 762x39mm is always available but 545x39mm is problematic. Very few 545x39mm caliber weapons are here vs. 762x39mm caliber weapons. To my knowledge
545x39mm is not made by any American ammo maker. That said, this caliber is dependent on what is imported and that supply is problematic.

If you shoot, and I mean you really shoot, not just a plink a few times a year, the wisdom of buying any weapon for which ammo is problematic deserves careful attention on your part.

·
Silver Bullet Member
797 Posts
I find the SKS a bit more accurate than the AK. Some claim the SKS is a PITA to clean. Doesn't affect me either way. The AK is easier to handle. I prefer the 7.62x39 round so either of these rifles outweighs the AKM for me. Availability of ammo has been better for the 7.62x39. When I am first introducing new shooters to semi-auto rifles, the AK is the rifle of choice to shoot. Fun, easy and easy to train on. SKS prices have been running from $350 to $700 as of late, AK's from $500 to $1000 in my area. Plenty of variants and variations to choose from on either side. AK for me, but I enjoy both! sks1.jpg IMG_0718.jpg

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,913 Posts
If I could pick only one, it would be an AK74. Which, I did. Light weight,low recoil and high velocity.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have both a Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS and a Polish AKMS, You can't go wrong with any of the three my AK will out shoot my SKS but not by much, If it was me I would just get a well built AK 47 and don't look back just make sure you.stockpile 7.62x39, You will shoot alot of it lol

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Your money.
Your choice.
Your perceived needs.

In my own, personal case: Chicom Type 56 SKS. Don't have to lug around empty Kalashnikov magazines. comfortable to shoot from a bench or prone. No need here for a 30-round magazine on a rifle. Generally OK accuracy. Lots of 7.62x39mm ammunition available. Could be used to hunt should I ever have the opportunity to do so.

My wife: Shares birthdays with Mikhail Kalashnikov. Demands a representative example of the Kalashnikov system. Interest in the world-wide dispersal and history and even mystique of the Kalashnikov. Global iconic statis--one of the most widely recognized objects throughout the world. Doesn't like recoil. Doesn't like to spend money on ammo or anything else: Romanian WASR-2 cheap-o AK-74 5.45x39mm. Calculated the barrel life on the cheap Romanian, bought that many cases of 5.45x39mm surplus ammo when it was really inexpensive. Pile it up in storage.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
The Kalashnikov is the most widely-used firearm in the world today. IMO, every gun collector should have one. Mr. K stated in an interview that the Soviets should've never strayed from their .30 short cartridge to the smaller-caliber round.

I got an SKS first, and I think it's good to have both. But my AKMs accompany me to the range more often.

·
Registered
725 Posts
""Your money.
Your choice.
Your perceived needs.

In my own, personal case: Chicom Type 56 SKS. Don't have to lug around empty Kalashnikov magazines. comfortable to shoot from a bench or prone. No need here for a 30-round magazine on a rifle. Generally OK accuracy. Lots of 7.62x39mm ammunition available. Could be used to hunt should I ever have the opportunity to do so.""

I kinda lean to what DaveC is alluding to. I'm seeing $350-450 Chinese SKS's. This rifle is a really good primer. Forget the hi-cap mags and find a stock, #'s matching gun in really good condition with little use. Comfortable to shoot off the bench, relatively cheap to shoot and a great learning tool as far as takedown and cleaning. Then ask at the range to shoot somebodies AK 47 or 74 or Yugoslav SKS. Fun stuff!!

Draybo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts