Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a Nagoya series 1 Arisaka t99 rifle with full mum and want to know which numbered parts should match to be all matching rifle. So far, the receiver, bolt handle, bayonet lug, and bolt cover match. The cleaning rod is not numbered. The aircraft sight is not numbered that I can find. The monopod bracket is not numbered that I can find. Thanks for any help.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
Sounds like you have a winner. The bolt parts should have the same matching numbers as the bolt handle root. Matching dust cover (I assume that's what you are calling the bolt cover) is a bonus.

Dean (the other one)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
I think you found all of them. Is the stock original finish?

You've done some of your homework, as you know the arsenal, and series.

By the way, welcome to the best forum on Japanese firearms on the Internet. There are some experts that participate here, including the ones that write the books (I'm not one of them).

Nice find!

Dean (the other one)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock has not been refinished. It is not cracked, just dry and worn. All the metal has light rust on exposed areas from bad storage. Metal under the dust cover is still blued. Is there a way to remove surface rust without ruining the rifle? The bore is great. Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun
Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger
Metal

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
Many of us like Kroil and 0000 steel wool on the metal. I use rubbing alcohol on a rag to clean the wood. Others may have a better idea. NO harsh chemicals, steel wool or sand paper on the wood! Keep the original Urishi finish. Gentle with everything.
If the screws haven't been turned, DON"T turn them. Leave them staked.

Dean (the other one)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I like bronze wool and oil. Ace may have it or you can find it on the net.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
For many years I have used 3 in 1 oil and #0000 steel wool with very good success. In last few years I have sprayed the metal parts down first with BLASTER and let it sit overnight, then the oil with steel wool. Seems to help. Nice project rifle. Looking forward to seeing the clean up PIC's.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Question: Do those of you who use 0000 steel wool have trouble getting all the fine steel fibers out of the nooks and crannies of the gun?

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Question: Do those of you who use 0000 steel wool have trouble getting all the fine steel fibers out of the nooks and crannies of the gun?

I wouldn't really worry about that, maybe some others would. You could always use a magnet to remove them if it bothers you. But I think the main point is to remove the surface rust. I've used 0000 steel wool for over 20 years for removing surface rust off rifles and bayonets. It works great and it does not scratch the metal either.

·
Silver Bullet member
854 Posts
Looking forward to see what you can do with it. I'm hopeful it cleans up really nice for you. Refinished stock or not, it will certainly look 100x better all cleaned up.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,653 Posts
I wouldn't really worry about that, maybe some others would. You could always use a magnet to remove them if it bothers you. But I think the main point is to remove the surface rust. I've used 0000 steel wool for over 20 years for removing surface rust off rifles and bayonets. It works great and it does not scratch the metal either.
+1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.