Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...as a still relative newbie to Mosins,would someone please help clear up some confusion I am having reguarding my Finn M91? I'd like to add it into the data survey but am confused as to which it would belong in.I have a hex reciever Tikka with a 1942 date and SA on the side and it appears to be in a wartime stock judging by the stock splice-however the tang has thw Westinghouse 'M with arrow' but does not have the NEW anywhere.Would someone please explain what exactly I have?Am I missing something-did I miss a piece?Enlightenment would be greatly appreciated...:D

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sounds like typical war-time production finnish Tikka made m91 infantry rifle. I say Tikka because the barrel shank of the rifle contains the Tikka mark, not the receiver. We never produced any receivers or bolt parts for any Mosins we had or made. Very many, if not all m91 rear sights and Mosin magazines, buttplates and similar compatible parts were recycled from older imperial russian m91 rifles or captured/bought russian rifles.

Unfortunatetly, it seems that there isn't any survey for your Tikka 1942 infantry rifle at this moment.

Picspicspicspicspicspics ASAP would be nice. We demand those. :D

Ps. I cleaned my message. Terrible sentences, real mambo-jambo...

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
I've got a Finn M91 too. It sounds like a younger twin of yours: Finn spliced stock, NEW receiver (at least I think it is...), 1943 Tikkakoski barrel. Late sling wire hangers.
Basically, 1940-1943 was the last years of M91 production. Like wee says, Finland reused older receivers, but Tikka made something like 33,000 barrels and VKT a further 45,000 barrels. Apparently there are an unknown number of "B" barrel M91s too. The wrist of the stock is typically beefier than the Russian version.

FYI:
http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm#1940

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....thank you both gents.:D The part I was unclear about was that even though the reciever tang was marked Westingouse-it was a Tikka,therefore-not in one of the 'surveys';).I've attatched a few photos of it.They're not of the greatest quality since I only have a cellcam available for digital pics and it doesnt get very 'close' for details:rolleyes:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Gooddamn it's good looking! Much more better shape than m91s usually are here in Finland, "rotten corpses" like I say...

Have you peeked under the buttplate or the checked the butt for cartouches? according to the pics, your two-piece stock seems has finnish front part but the rear part seems to be different, maybe made from older russian m91 stock?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
....yes I've looked under the buttplate,but I see nothing but gunk...:rolleyes: The only marks I see on the rear stock is what appears to be a "7"-one is right behind the triggerguard and the other right behind the rear band.The buttplate on the top has a small 'cross',or "T"...is that for Tula:confused: I also find that "cross/T" on the trigger and bolt...the bolt,barrel and reciever are Finn matched though and the stock splice is a beautifully done round finger type:D.......I'm still learning...;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
The buttplate on the top has a small 'cross',or "T"...is that for Tula:confused: I also find that "cross/T" on the trigger and bolt... .......I'm still learning...;)
You are learning well. Intensive surfing in mosinnagant.net and 7.62x54r.net will teach you a lot. Those are so great resources that you don't actually need any book to learn the solid basics and more advanced things. Later on, you start to dream on Mr. Palokankaa's and Mr. Wrobel's books and possible english translations ;)

That "T" is not necessarily "T". It's most likely a hammer, which is the pre 1928 stamp of the Tula factories. But Tula anyway. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
....I appreciate the info and the links very much.They also helped me decipher what the lined out Ruski range numbers on the rear site were,and the re-stamped Finn ones on the right side of it-including the "D"...oooooooh,this is interesting,and FUN too...!!!:D

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Holy smokes! What a Finn! Thanks for the photos. My Finn M91 had a new barrel and stock fixed to it, but the receiver was one of the older pieces sandblasted and refinished/reused by the Finns. That's actually one of the things I really like about Finnish rifles, but the parts on yours look smooth and "like new" as they say. Don't get it too close to that 91/30 (which is nice too) or they'll start a scrap.

+1 on the "lined out" arshin ranges and the added metric ranges on the other side of the rear sights. Let us know how it shoots! Mine likes the heavy ball best.

I might also recommend Doug Bowser's excellent _Rifles of the White Death_ (Valkoisen Kuoleman Kiväärit): A Collector's and Shooter's Guide to Finnish Military Rifles, 1918-1944 in addition to the K-H Wrobel and Marku Palokangas books.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice rifles! My 2 m91's have all the finish (no pun intended) worn of the stocks. Makes them look their age, but yours is very nice.:)

As daveccarlson noted, keep those two separated or you may find strange nicks and scrapes that you can't account for.:confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...thanks guys- but remember I said these were cellcam pics...the 91 stock does have it share of 'been there-done that' scars,and thats what I love about these...:D..the 91/30 keeping it company is a 1934 Izhevsk...so far they are getting along just fine...:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts