Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
I wonder if HVA ran a number of both models without a dovetail for the rear sight for those that would opt for the Kahles option that they must have expected? Not sure about this but, obviously, there are rifles without the dovetail and we can't imagine that was a mistake or carelessness at the factory.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Some years back, I was sent the same rifle as the OP's in 8x57 and rebarreled it for them. Only, that barrel had a rear sight. I still have it. I remember it because it was the first 1600 series I'd seen with a factory checkered fore end.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
So, by that description, this would be a model 4000. Except, it does have a rear sight.

Yes, it's a 4000. The rear sight is usual, as per you can see in the model description in the first Tradewinds ad.

The 1600 series is the short barrel version (520mm). The 600mm version is 1640, the 650mm version is the 1651.

Mike, the N-A models 4000 / 4100 have fore end checkering and a cheek pad while the Euro 1600 Std does not have neither the checkering or the pad.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,445 Posts
Vintage...maybe better on your rifle...

MINT VINTAGE LYMAN 57SME RECEIVER SIGHT & SCREWS SPRINGFIELD MAUSER ENFIELD | eBay

See my post #8...

And have a look here...

vintage pecar in Vintage Hunting Gun Parts | eBay

Looks like the guy you bought it from never actually used it?!?

You can't really go wrong in taking your own time to sort things out...the others, here, may be of great help too...no rush.
nice i have both models..
use collect, have many Pecar's laying around ready for that effect on my huskies!
IF marked for relative brightness, front bell instead of diameter, indicating Zeiss glass1#
(. changed mine> PM me having two earlier Redfield Bear Cubs the Kollmorgen's continuation of design scopes> very clear glass> looking new in box's all papers trades?)

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you get a European scope for the rifle, make sure of the diameter of the scope tube. Most were 26mm, 26.5mm, or 22mm.

Even some US made scopes from the 1950's were 26mm, the Lyman Challenger was one.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts