Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The man that it was purchased from provided the scope base below. (No rings). I鈥檓 trying do decide if I should mount a scope, and hunt with the thing, or just leave it in the safe for a while longer. It鈥檚 in such great condition, I鈥檓 reluctant to scratch it 馃槀.

If I do mount a scope, I鈥檇 want everything to be period correct to the rifle. Might be difficult to find the right combination of vintage European scope, rings, and bases. I have plenty of rifles to hunt with, but something is telling me to get this rifle out into the woods. What would you guys do?
Keep it in the safe, or hunt with it?
Font Material property Auto part Automotive exterior Electronics accessory

Registered

Registered
it would be a very lite rifle to carry, especially if you mount a smaller, lite scope. because it is a lighter example, in a full sized cartridge, it could be unpleasant to shoot, without a good recoil pad on the butt. even with a pad, and the short barrel, full power 180 grain ammo would be VERY noticeable. give all this some due consideration to help you decide if you want to actually use and hunt/shoot it.

Registered
What鈥檚 the difference between the 4000, and the 4100?
4000 is "carbine" (520mm barrel) with MC stock, 4100 is "carbine" (520mm barrel) with straight comb and those are N-A designation only. The most common Euro model is 1600 Std (straight comb, short barrel, 1600 being only officially used for the short barrel versions, the "long" being 1640).

Registered
From what I read, the mdl. 4000 had no rear sight, but had a "Monte Carlo" stock. It could be this rifle was a mismatch of the mdls. 4000 and 4100, having a straight comb stock and a barrel with no rear sight. Or possibly, as I said before it was merely a special order gun. Again, I'm just guessing and it's food for thought.
Both 4000 and 4100 have rear sights. There was no 1651/1640/1600 models without rear sight.

Registered
Two questions:

1. Why would this rifle have no rear sight dovetail? (See photo).

2. Are the sling swivels likely original to the gun, or added after the fact?

View attachment 3922635
The dovetail was added.

The sling swivels look correct, the 1" wire type loops are on par for a North American model, the Euro models have 3/4" milled sling swivel loops.

Registered
I鈥檓 confused. My rifle does NOT have the dovetail for a rear sight (see photo in post # 10 above).

My wrong, I read too fast, I guess.
That's a first for a 4000/4100 for me, and I saw / handled / owned quite a bunch.
The only thing I can think of is a special order from Tradewinds for use with the Lyman 57HVA peep sight as otherwise I can't see why they would have put a front ramp sight. Might even have been some kind of a demo for Tradewinds, it's far from being common... It's not a catalogued option neither and the barrel is definitely an original one.
Maybe should you try hard to find a Lyman 57HVA.... as it fits quite well the time period of it's introduction
There is only one other recorded without dovetail, it's 7X57 4000 SN range 18547X but had the stock replaced at the time it was recorded. Is yours close to it ?

The normal type of sight for the 1651/1640/1600 is dovetailed on the barrel. There are three style of sights, depending on model, year; fixed, with folding leaves, sping type with an elevator.

P.S. Does your rifle have a Timney trigger installed too ?

Registered

Registered
Baribal,

I am in no way doubting your Husqvarna knowledge. Please don't take this as an argument. I just read the following comment about the 4000 in an article:

"While the Model 4100 had a straight stock and schnabel foreend, the similar Model 4000 had a more typically 1950s Monte Carlo. The 4100 listed for $139.95, while the 4000 cost $145.50. The two versions also differed in sighting equipment. The Model 4100 had a hooded, ramped front sight and elevator-adjustable rear sight. The 4000 had the front sight, but no rear sight. An adjustable receiver sight could be mounted in the holes on the right side of the receiver, or a special 鈥淪nap-Shooter鈥 peep sight could be screwed into the scope mount holes. This consisted of a round aperture dovetailed into a disc-shaped base. The aperture could be moved left or right in its dovetail for windage adjustment."

Here's some other 4000s with no rear sight:

Registered
Well, I may be wrong and I have no idea what kind of info the dude had to write his article (as he doesn't specify the Tradewinds reference he had in hands). But I'm in since the late '80's and we always relied on Tradewinds and Husqvarna info to identify the models. I can tell you there is a whole lotta info not showing in that shortcut article. In the SN database we shared as collectors (originally started by Steve, AKA SBHVA), there is only one mention of a 4000 without sights.
So, if Tradewinds imported these "no rear sight" en masse, it didn't make it to Canada, where I am based, nor did it make it through Steve's database, one of the most extensive HVA rifles collector I have known. If they really did import that set up, the number must be really small and for a very short period. And Tradewinds + Ruko sold loads of rifles here.
I'll dig up all my stuff, if I do find that configuration, I'll report here and if so, it will fill a gap.

Line Gun barrel Trigger Font Gun accessory

Trigger Air gun Mammal Line Gun barrel

Trigger Font Gun barrel Wood Art

Font Wood Trigger Rectangle Art

Guitar accessory Font Poster Parallel Advertising

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Guitar String instrument accessory Font

Registered
Yes sir, I understand. My intent is not to say anyone is incorrect, but to just point out that there does seem to be a few of these rifles out there like target-panic's. My guess is that Husqvarna made a version of these rifles (albeit in very few numbers) without the rear sight, for shooters who preferred the use of the side mounted aperture sights or the bridge mounted hunting peep sights like the Helqvist. I have a lightweight with a Helqvist sight, which the the previous owner removed the rear sight and replaced it with a blank. I believe these types of sights came in kits with the sight, the rear barrel sight blank and a thicket larger front sight post for quick target acquisition in low light or running game. I'm just drawing conclusions here, but it's possible Husqvarna saw this and just decided to make a version without the rear sight for people who preferred this type of sighting function. I don't know if peep/aperture sights were "the rage" in the 50s and 60s, but if so, it would make marketing sense to do so. Again, just my opinion and based on limited samples, but I do find it ironic that these no rear sight rifles all seem to be in the 4000/4100 series.

Here's another one:

Registered
Baribal,

I am in no way doubting your Husqvarna knowledge. Please don't take this as an argument. I just read the following comment about the 4000 in an article:

"While the Model 4100 had a straight stock and schnabel foreend, the similar Model 4000 had a more typically 1950s Monte Carlo. The 4100 listed for $139.95, while the 4000 cost $145.50. The two versions also differed in sighting equipment. The Model 4100 had a hooded, ramped front sight and elevator-adjustable rear sight. The 4000 had the front sight, but no rear sight. An adjustable receiver sight could be mounted in the holes on the right side of the receiver, or a special 鈥淪nap-Shooter鈥 peep sight could be screwed into the scope mount holes. This consisted of a round aperture dovetailed into a disc-shaped base. The aperture could be moved left or right in its dovetail for windage adjustment."

Here's some other 4000s with no rear sight:

So, by that description, this would be a model 4000. Except, it does have a rear sight.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts