Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
That is strange. Maybe it was a special order gun. Were trade winds imported guns marked as such? If it lacks those marks perhaps it's just a special order lightweight with cheek piece and forend checkering to boot? I'm just speculating, but it's an interesting gun. Any import marks anywhere at all?

·
Registered
301 Posts
From what I read, the mdl. 4000 had no rear sight, but had a "Monte Carlo" stock. It could be this rifle was a mismatch of the mdls. 4000 and 4100, having a straight comb stock and a barrel with no rear sight. Or possibly, as I said before it was merely a special order gun. Again, I'm just guessing and it's food for thought.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Baribal,

I am in no way doubting your Husqvarna knowledge. Please don't take this as an argument. I just read the following comment about the 4000 in an article:

"While the Model 4100 had a straight stock and schnabel foreend, the similar Model 4000 had a more typically 1950s Monte Carlo. The 4100 listed for $139.95, while the 4000 cost $145.50. The two versions also differed in sighting equipment. The Model 4100 had a hooded, ramped front sight and elevator-adjustable rear sight. The 4000 had the front sight, but no rear sight. An adjustable receiver sight could be mounted in the holes on the right side of the receiver, or a special “Snap-Shooter” peep sight could be screwed into the scope mount holes. This consisted of a round aperture dovetailed into a disc-shaped base. The aperture could be moved left or right in its dovetail for windage adjustment."

Here's some other 4000s with no rear sight:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes sir, I understand. My intent is not to say anyone is incorrect, but to just point out that there does seem to be a few of these rifles out there like target-panic's. My guess is that Husqvarna made a version of these rifles (albeit in very few numbers) without the rear sight, for shooters who preferred the use of the side mounted aperture sights or the bridge mounted hunting peep sights like the Helqvist. I have a lightweight with a Helqvist sight, which the the previous owner removed the rear sight and replaced it with a blank. I believe these types of sights came in kits with the sight, the rear barrel sight blank and a thicket larger front sight post for quick target acquisition in low light or running game. I'm just drawing conclusions here, but it's possible Husqvarna saw this and just decided to make a version without the rear sight for people who preferred this type of sighting function. I don't know if peep/aperture sights were "the rage" in the 50s and 60s, but if so, it would make marketing sense to do so. Again, just my opinion and based on limited samples, but I do find it ironic that these no rear sight rifles all seem to be in the 4000/4100 series.

Here's another one:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts