Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the M98 9.3x57 I have (Think its a 146?, serial 288XX)

I guess I would love another large ring Husqvarna but this time in 30-06, as such great commercial ammo is available in that caliber.

I see a lot of 1640 series which are later and Husqvarna's own action, but cock on opening, correct?

Was 30-06 chambered in same time frame as my rifle? I love the light stock and scnabel forend on mine.

I know cock on closing isn't a huge deal, but I figured if I could them for about the same price, I'd take cock on opening.

Jason

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yup, you have a 146 made in 1940. On the old Gunboards, Pettson had a pretty good rant about gun writers denigrating the cock on closing m/38 small ring actions. I don't know if that post has gotten moved over here. The 1640 rifles are cock on opening. I'm very used to the m/96 and HVA commercial actions so cock on closing doesn't bother me at all. Some folks say cock on closing slows you down on rapid fire. Well, if I have to rapid fire one of my HVA hunting rifles, I'm probably in a lot more serious trouble than a small caliber hunting rifle can handle any way.:D;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was younger, the cock on opening caused me problems with my '95 Mauser (7x57) as the scope and the bolt handle were very close. I think that was most of the problem. There is no functional problem, it's mainly perception.

I saw the ones on Allan's site and I am almost ready to "pull the trigger" on one of them, though it's more than I want to spend, it's what I would like. I need to find a cheaper transfer dealer here in Tampa. I really like the guy I use, but it just adds to the cost.

Jason

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Cock on closing kind of grows on you and starts to feel "solid". Now cock on opening feels kind of uncertain or something to me - no resistance. I shoot rapid fire with an M1.;)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Cock-on-opening VS cock-on-closing

The real difference according to many experts is in the extraction of the spent ammo.
Since you have to cock while opening (read extracting) you need a little (sometimes lots) of extra strenght to lift up the bolt lever. If the case shows hard to pull back, you need to add lots of strenght to lift this bolt.
The cock-on-closing does not lack this part of the deal.
There is also a lock-down time issue, for the firepin to strike the primer and striking force applied is higher. And this seems to have been the reason why Mauser used that. The cock-on-open can use a stiffer spring making the firepin throw shorter, making the rifle more "precise".... but it's still to be proven that the accuracy is better on one or the other.
SMLE rifles are still considered to be the fastest bolt rifle ever. They are cock-on-closing.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
Another factor to consider is that the Husqvarna commercial small ring 94/96 type actions in addition to being cock on close also have two-stage triggers. Personally, I kind of like this type of trigger as the release tends to be very crisp and in fact I think much better than the standard 1640 trigger.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I haven't found the lack of extra extraction leverage is detrimental on a cock on open vice a cock on closing action. I can see it in a military bolt gun with dirt in the action though. I have had problems with rough old milsurp in certain guns. I don't push the loads in a small ring way up either as the velocities I've gotten are adequate.
I was concerned about lock time having several fast lock varmint rifles. On those it makes a difference but, hunting deer I don't think it's an issue if I have a half decent hold. Right tool for the job, and the small rings are that at times.
Dennis

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Ordtech,

you forgot to mention there are also M98 small rings... handy little light rifles, too!
And, another answer to the former question is; when Paul Mauser sold the license to Sweden, he did not yet invented the cock-on-open principle.... at least, he did not sell it yet...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, the small ring 98's are cool. Short bolts too. But I just want something standard, kinda.

JW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts