Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, it's been a while, but recently I was asked to clean up a last ditch Type 99 rifle that a friend's grandfather brought back from the Pacific. It's a neat gun that has spent at least the last 40 years in the back of a closet. But it's missing some parts I would like to replace, particularly the extractor. I went looking and noticed that there are two lengths of Type 99 extractors, a bit over 4.1" and 4.9" give or take. How do I figure out which is the right one for this Type 99, or are they interchangeable?

While I am at it, the magazine spring came out in two pieces. It doesn't look broken, was this another economization, or do I need a new one of those as well?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do you know the arsenal/series? This helps to determine what changes have been made. If you don’t know, post a picture of the receiver’s serial number and characters before/after.

As for the follower spring, it’s one piece so you’ll need a replacement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. here are some photos. FWIW, I pulled out the bolt from my Type 38 and it has a 4.9 inch extractor. It appears identical (but of course much more nicely finished) to the Type 99 bolt with machining in all the same places, except of course the slightly larger diameter bolt head. The mark is a Tokyo arsenal, isn't it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are lucky, a late Kokura rifle like that will have an non-numbered full length extractor. Easy to find.
Thanks so much. One more question. Did late Type 99's get fitted with a dust cover, or were those out of use by the time these were being put in service? It has the grooves cut for one, but no sign of metal wear.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Thanks so much. One more question. Did late Type 99's get fitted with a dust cover, or were those out of use by the time these were being put in service? It has the grooves cut for one, but no sign of metal wear.
By the 25th series when this rifle was made dust covers had been discontinued by Kokura, so it's correct without it.

Here's some more information on the 25th series on my Type 99 website I started a few months back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While I can't make out your series, Kokura did away with the Dust cover about SN 26000 of series 24 and the Dust cover grooves very late in the 25th series.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
While I can't make out your series, Kokura did away with the Dust cover about SN 26000 of series 24 and the Dust cover grooves very late in the 25th series.
I can't say I've ever seen an actual 25th series marked rifle without the grooves, and I've seen some real late ones in the 90,000 range before production ended. However Kokura had have Concentric Circle marked late war style Type 99's made without the grooves, as shown here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a really neat website that you have built out ithilsdorf. The 4.95 inch replacement extractor popped right on and works correctly. Thanks for the confirmation that was the right length. I'm really pleased with how this rifle is cleaning up - given the uncared-for and small-parts-missing condition it came to me in. I'll share some photos when I have it back to firing order - I'm close, just need one more screw to come in the mail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts