Gunboards Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
The Cold War & all its ramifications.
Both sides were lied to so massively, by their own side. Its hard to get a real grip on anything.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
^^^this.
"Britain's small Wars" for me I'm afraid.
Why do I feel like Londo Mollari at the beginning of the B5 Series?

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
The Cuban Campaign of 1898 has been called the last of the "gentlemen's" wars, or perhaps chivalrous. After the failure to block Santiago Harbor with the collier Merrimack, Admiral Cervera sent his Chief of Staff to inform Sampson that the crew had been rescued and were safe, during the Battle of Santiago on July 3, when the Spanish cruiser Vizcaya started to burn, Captain J. W. Phillip of the USS Texas told his crew "Don't cheer boys, those poor devils are dying!"

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,461 Posts
^^^this.
"Britain's small Wars" for me I'm afraid.
Why do I feel like Londo Mollari at the beginning of the B5 Series?
Why afraid? Interesting "little" (no war where people get killed is small to the participants and families. JMO) wars in many cases. Often with lessons to be learned - IF you are willing. Presume (dangerous sport that, of course) Farwell's MR. KIPLING'S ARMY and QUEEN VICTORIA'S LITTLE WARS (and perhaps his THE GHURKAS) are in your library.

The Cuban Campaign of 1898 has been called the last of the "gentlemen's" wars, or perhaps chivalrous. After the failure to block Santiago Harbor with the collier Merrimack, Admiral Cervera sent his Chief of Staff to inform Sampson that the crew had been rescued and were safe, during the Battle of Santiago on July 3, when the Spanish cruiser Vizcaya started to burn, Captain J. W. Phillip of the USS Texas told his crew "Don't cheer boys, those poor devils are dying!"
From what I have learned of the Span-Am War of 1898, I can't say I think that "Gentleman's War" thing is all that accurate. Best thing about it was - over pretty quickly so a lot of the worst things that happen during conflict never had a chance to happen.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,446 Posts
Today’s..here, now, on going...in the near presence?

·
Registered
280 Posts
WW1 in its entirety because it's the first real modern conflict and the first massive war. WW2 Eastern front for just how savage it got when both sides didn't consider each other as human and how that can just make a war even more savage.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Vietnam. We had the superiority in manpower, materiel, yet...makes me think of Jutland. When HMS Queen Mary blew up David Beatty turned to his Flag Captain and said "There's something wrong with our bloody ships today, Chatfield !" On June 1 when the British realized the Germans had escaped done far more damage to them than they had done to the Germans he came down to the wardroom of HMS Lion and said:
"There's something wrong with our bloody ships today ! And with our bloody system !"
Then there's George C. Marshall's observation :
"You can have all the materiel you want but without morale it is largely ineffective."

·
Registered
677 Posts
WWII (and ancillary to that due to their connection, WWI. That said, however, many historians have come to view the world wars plus the Cold War of the 20th century as really just a series of continuation wars; for instance, in a similar way that the Hundred Years War/War of the Roses/French & Indian Wars, etc., et al are really just a series of events connected to a similar causative agent(s). I have come around to this concept in the past few years and in 500 years, I can also foresee most historians viewing the 20th century wars as really all just a connected series of events in the same way that we now view some of the long-term conflicts of centuries past as all just being a series of generational wars with the same roots.)

101 - 109 of 109 Posts