Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A casual poll if you will, which conflict do you find most interesting?

For me it's the American Civil War or War Between the States.
I can't say I'm a expert by a long shot. Too many people with the same type names to follow...;) but I do like reading about it and especially looking at modern photos of the battlefields.

yours?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
The Napoleonic wars.
E: Spanish Civil War fascinates me as well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
1948 War of Independence. Followed by the later Arab-Israeli wars, and then: China airwar 1932 to 1945. Africa decolonization conflicts, 1945 to present.

Not a specific conflict, but, Special Air Operations.

Robert

·
Registered
673 Posts
The Eastern Front of WW II has captivated me. While the U.S. involvement was considerable, the Russians carried the land combat load for four years.

One conflict I'd be interested with reading/hearing more about was the U.S. military involvement with quashing a communist inspired uprising in the Dominican Republic in 1965. That conflict has completely fallen off the historical radar, yet network TV news in 1965 gave it as much air-time as Vietnam back then.

Tens of thousands of Marines and other U.S. military forces were sent there in support of the Domincan government and put down the uprising.

Much to my surprise the U.S. military intervention force sent to the Domincan Republic, in 1965, has all been forgotten.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The Great War. Also known as WW1. After it, everything changed.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,119 Posts
The American war between the states, especially the trans-Mississippi or western part. Which probably makes sense since I live in Indian Territory and have a relative that fought with the Cherokee's and then Clarkson's Battalion.

His records show he went on detatched duty in Indian territory and never returned.

·
Registered
667 Posts
World War II ..... for personal reasons (I am named after my Uncle KIA on Guam July 1944), and as one of the first Baby Boomers (April 1946) grew up hearing about it and learning about it.
Also: After that war, America emerged as the World's Super Power ! (soon to be challenged by the USSR)

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
As the son and nephew of many WWII vets, it's definitely that one by far. More and more, the economic aspects of that war interest me almost as much as the purely military aspects. Also, there's the Roman campaigns of the Gallic War and modern Special Operations.
Pat

·
Empress of the Underworld and Diamond Bullet Membe
34,412 Posts
WWII for reasons I can't explain.

But I am very interested in learning more about the Spanish Civil War. I know very little about it.

·
Gold Bullet Member
502 Posts
Undeclared Wars

The "Banana Wars", Haiti, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Panama, & Cuba. Many of the leaders of the Marine Corps in WWII cut their teeth in these conflicts.

Gravel, I am also interested in the 1965 Intervention in the Dominican Republic. I spent a lot of time in that country in the 80's and a lot of the buildings around town still showed the scars of that Civil War. Very interesting history.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The French-Indochina War and the French-Algerian War of the mid-20th century. Always have been captivated by tragic history and those two episodes played out like ancient Greek tragedies.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Napolionic wars in Germany. I am not sure whether he was simply one of the many, up and then arising, megalomanic maniacs or the bearer of revolutionary ideas of enlightenment in a world of smallstate feudal oppression. Soever, he helped Germany to become one nation.
Wolf

·
Silver Bullet Member an all around excellent guy
47,474 Posts
The Great War. Also known as WW1. After it, everything changed.
I've joined you.

I started as an American Civil War junkie by the age of five. Then World War II, and finally (for the last four years) I've been devoted to WWI, even though I still dabble with anything new I find on the Eastern Front and Pacific Theater of WWII.

Many forays along the way though into areas like the Winter War and Boer Wars - which led to my "lost years" studying the Victorian era wars of empire.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,460 Posts
I don't know that I can identify a war that "interests me most". I have probably spent more time (and have more books on) WWII, with more emphasis on the Pacific than other aspects, but the fact of the matter is all wars interest me. Especially the aspects of how technology impacts the way the campaigns are planned and fought. Have to give the matter some thought.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My intrests are mainly on how the technology changed, and how long it took tactics to catch up. Everything from uniforms to weapons had an effect on the tactics and the use of each of these changes. And the difference in the same changes between the countries, and even between services of the same country!
Covers a lot of ground!

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would have to say WW1 myself. I grew up interested in WW2, but as I've learned how the events of WW1 led to WW2 and events after it, I find myself reading about it more and more. Also, after spending so much time in Spain while in the USAF, I've found myself reading more and more about the Spanish civil war as well. Still on the look out for a SCW Mosin-Nagant, if I can ever find one in decent shape.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts