Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a couple of Nagant revolvers later this month, what ammo do you guys normally use with these? I know there's some cylinder conversions available, but I've heard that isn't required for use with some of the alternate calibers. I read the page provided in the sticky at the top of the forum here, and it looks like .32S&W Long's are good to go without modifying the cylinder. Somewhere I read about some H&R ammo as well, anyone with recommendations or opinions on that?

All these questions were probably answered on the old version of this forum I'm sure.

John

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Yes, we have discussed this topic at length on the old forums, but here is my standard answer:
I only use 7.62 Nangant ammunition in mine. Reloads, Fiocchi, or Russian Traget ammunition.
I have considered a 32 ACP cylinder, but many have found that they are not always a drop in replacement.
Good luck shooting yours.
Cheers:D

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have four Nagant pistols, I shoot 32 S&W Longs from all of them receiving bulged/split (sometimes) cases from all of them. I do not use the conversion cylinder, I should mention.

Read my earlier post concerning ammo brand. Google 32 S&W Long, Nagant and see what you come up with. It is all up to you and whatever you feel comfortable with. Good luck!!!

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
.32 S+W longs.... unless you can find something cheaper. [:D]

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Same here on the S&W longs. Won't hurt the pistol. Fired some .32 mags too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are several flavors of 7.62 Nagant available now, so try to find those first.

(I've seen it at different times at AIM, SOG, Centerfire Systems, Classicarms.us, Cole Distributing, Military Gun Supply and I'm sure others have it as well.)

I have shot .32 S&W Longs with no problem except bulging cases on the Aguila stuff. I have used Magtech in one of my Nagants with no bulging - I guess they use stronger, thicker cartridge cases. My suggestion is to look for Magtech if you can't find the correct ammo.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
The cheapest 32 S&W long available. The more expensive US made 32 Long seems to split more while the cheap Aguila I use just bulges, but extracts easily.

Only problem is leading if you shoot a lot. Takes some work to clean it out after a couple hundred rounds, while the nagant ammo is jacketed..

·
Registered
710 Posts
Have all of the above cartridge variations, but its pricy to use the right stuff all the time or time consuming to roll your own...so I now use H&R mgs which are affordable, work well and impart decent pop. But I only use alternate ammo in my crappiest Nagant, a frosty barelled wondergun that is quite accurate.

Creepie, you wanna watch where you point that thing......

·
Silver Bullet member
621 Posts
Bullet diameter

Bullet diameter of 32 S&W long is 0.312”. Bullet diameter of 7.62 Nagant is 0.295”. Will the difference of 0.017” (0.5mm) post a problem? I am a little reluctant to try it. Thanks.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Nope. The bullet is lead and just gets swaged down. This happens with all lead bullets as its standard to to fit the bullet diameter to the bore groove diameter, swaging in the rifling, and a few thousandths more makes no difference.

Anyone know the exact bore diameter? The "3 line" 1891 rifle, also a 7.62, is nominally .310 inches.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I shoot .32 SW Longs out of my revolver all the time and it is more accurate than the 7.62. So far I've not had any lead buildup...but I do take a brush to that area after every visit to the range.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've shot nearly 500 .312" hard-cast lead bullets (100gr Meister DEWC) with no problems. Every once in a while a little sliver of lead comes out of the barrel during cleaning, but that's about it. I wouldn't want to shoot a JACKETED bullet that's bigger than the bore though!

I'm curious where the .295" measurement comes from. Aren't the mil-spec jacketed bullets about .308"?

From reading this board in the past, it seems like a lot of Nagants vary in their bore diameter. Some are tight and some are sewer pipes. Only way to really be sure is to slug your bore. But as mentioned, I wouldn't sweat it for lead bullets.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Forgot to mention...main reason I use the H&R mags is cuz the brass is longer than the S&W longs...this means less clean up in the 7 cylinder chambers.

That's the beauty of the real deal Nagant cartridge, the brass case is very long, in fact the cylinder moves forward and the brass case butts up against the barrel...no clean up required for the 7 cylinder chambers...brilliant !

So for the reloader or real ammo buyer life is good. The cheapest real ammo is Hotshot which is I think is boxer primed (reloadable), with rumors rampant that Wolf will soon sell affordable ammo.

As for fat bullets and skinny bores, I was led to believe that this is normal since the more the bullet hugs the bore, the tighter the spin, the more accurate the shot. If the bullet is skinnier than the bore, it rattles around, wobbles out, and accuracy is compromised. For example, my .318 Berthier rifle bore regularly handles .323 bullets. Of course you wouldn’t put too fat a bullet down a skinny bore…there is probably a formula for this…if I am wrong here please advise.

Measured a recovered (shot) Fiocchi bullet (projectile). As the bullet is rotated thru the micrometer, at it fattest diameter it measures .308, at its skinniest .299. The bore measure .303

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
I think that the .295" is wrong. I think that the real diameter, based on bore diameters, is more like .308" to .310". I have used .309" and .312" without issue. I would slug your bore and make sure you do no exceed it by more than a few thousandths of an inch. YMMV.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Report on Ammo for Nagant

I've used both .32 H&R Magnums JHP and the new HotShot (Prvi Partizan) 7.62 Nagant JFP. Both appear to provide the same accuracy, although the HotShot MAY BE a bit more accurate.

The empty cases of both simply fall out of the cylinder, although the H&R cases bulge a little bit. I've never yet had one split.

There is not gas-seal with the H&R and sometimes I get a bit of spit from them.

The H&R is a bit hotter,. There is a louder report, and more felt-recoil, but neither one is much more than the Nagant ammo.

I like them both, but keep it loaded with the Nagant ammo.

It is a nice little pistol.

I wish SOMEONE would make and sell full military loads for it. Supposedly, originally the military load had to be able to knock over a horse.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm curious where the .295" measurement comes from. Aren't the mil-spec jacketed bullets about .308"?
I think that whoever first reported .295" bullet size - simply measured the inside diameter of the shell throat of the loaded sport nagant round. He must've figured that if the bullet was inserted through this throat - it has to be of that diameter [:)]

Cheers,

Me.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Just measured a Fiocchi nagant round I had left over and the bore of my 2 current nagant revolvers.
Bullet is .296
Couldn't get a good bore reading without slugging it but looks like under .300.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Interesting, I will have to do some experimenting myself now. The Russians were fixated on standardization, and I thought that all small arms calibers were 7.62mm, or about .308 to .310". All of my Mosins slugged out .310 to .313".

·
Registered
46 Posts
The best way to find out what size bullet to use is to slug the bore. I have slugged mine...it's .313". With lead bullets it's best to oversize by .001". Mine loves the hornady .314" HBWC in trimmed and reformed 223 range brass. I have heard reports of bores as small as .310". Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts