Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the option on the following AKs & need your advice guys, Im torn......

Arsenal SGL-20, 7.62x39 lightly used for $669 & they will probably do $650 OTD.

Yugo M70AB1 7.62x39 fixed stock for $450-475 haven't seen it yet but its NOT a Century Arms rifle.

Arsenal SLR-95 7.62x39 like new for $600-650.

Arsenal SLR-105 5.45x39 like new with 100 rounds of ammo for $700.

I passed up a NIB SA-93 at the last gunshow for $600 & still kicking myself for that.

They are all local N. GA rifles so any of them will be easy to get FTF.

I really don't care which is the more EXPENSIVE rifle, I want the BEST rifle in terms of durability, accuracy & parts replacement. I am also in love with Yugo rifles & have always yearned for a M70 fixed stock weapon. Never had a Bulgarian or Russian weapon though........

What is your opinion? Thanks, Norinco

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,911 Posts
How is the bore on the yugo, if built on a matching kit with the original barrel in good shape that is IMO a great deal, after that I'd get the SLR95 (just because they are such great rifles).

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Order a IO AK and get one for less and be as new and perfect.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really care for the IO AKs, the ones I examined seemed cheap compared to others, also I am not crazy about the US barrels as compared to for instance Steyr barrels on the Arsenal weapons. Also most plastic US furniture is junk except for again Arsenal productd mfg in LV, NV.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
I don't really care for the IO AKs, the ones I examined seemed cheap compared to others, also I am not crazy about the US barrels as compared to for instance Steyr barrels on the Arsenal weapons. Also most plastic US furniture is junk except for again Arsenal productd mfg in LV, NV.
Man of impeccable taste, I approve.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Order a IO AK and get one for less and be as new and perfect.
+1. i have an IO AK and love it. All US made except carrier and top cover (but will still take any AKM replacement parts). It has a Mossberg barrel and is a tack driver. Great fit and finish. I didn't like the Tapco furniture it came with so I replaced it with a Bulgarian wood set. It will shoot sub 2 MOA.

·
Silver Bullet member
759 Posts
You can't go wrong with a milled Arsenal...

I've had my SLR101 for over 8 yrs and 5,000 rds....never a ftf/fte....bust orange clays on the berm at 100 yds all day long.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to the pawn shop & they had sold the SGL-20 & were EXTREMELY RUDE PRICKS so Im going to get the SLR-95 for $600, its NIB. Wish me luck........

ETA: This is the pawn shop story, I sold an SAR-3 to them awhile back, last time I went in there the guy shoved it into my chest & said this rifle blew up in my face! I examined it, it looked normal. It turns out he was using Chinese .223 magazines & 77-grain Hornady TAP. I tried to explain that the 77 grain round is very long compared to the 55 grain & that is probably why he got a mini-kaboom & also the reason it kept "jamming" before the mini-kaboom is because he was using the wrong magazines. But NOOOOO, its a piece of S&!* just like all AKs. Really, really pissed me off, almost speared him over the counter. These pawn shop, "AR15 only" brainwashed fools are absurd.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
A+ on the arsenal line. my arsenal 101s with a las vegas nevada milled reciever, is a work horse and ex in every way. i sold a double under poly tech chinese ak and kept the 101s. enough said. eastbank.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,911 Posts
ETA: This is the pawn shop story, I sold an SAR-3 to them awhile back, last time I went in there the guy shoved it into my chest & said this rifle blew up in my face! I examined it, it looked normal. It turns out he was using Chinese .223 magazines & 77-grain Hornady TAP. I tried to explain that the 77 grain round is very long compared to the 55 grain & that is probably why he got a mini-kaboom & also the reason it kept "jamming" before the mini-kaboom is because he was using the wrong magazines. But NOOOOO, its a piece of S&!* just like all AKs. Really, really pissed me off, almost speared him over the counter. These pawn shop, "AR15 only" brainwashed fools are absurd.
Funny, they use the wrong mags then blame you...Good luck :)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I got to say....just cleaned off my new century yugo, thing is perfect. Will post pics later and a review. For less then 500 (484 shipped), no cant, no rust, clean and fresh new barrel, wood handguards, bayo lug, NO issues at all....I am happy. Need a cleaning rod.....

If you went yugo, you could buy 100 dollers worth of ammo too......or mags. And have one of the best looking, reliable rifles out there.....Just have to get a good one.....

I'd add that the gas tube on my yugo isn't that strange grey color either. Same color black park that the rest of the gun is. Its got a nice FINISH, VERY UNIFORM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Norinco, You won't be sorry you chose the SLR-75. I have had mine since 1996 and I love it. Man, I paid $279 for it new back then. Never a FTF or any hickup. I have never been a fan of thumbhole stocks, but it's the most comfortable thumbhole stock there is. I tried wood furniture on it. I tried non-thumbhole plastic furniture on it. I always went back to it's original thumbhole design. It is a supurb firearm! They are going for $800 to $1200 here in S.E. MI, now. $600 for yours is a good, fare deal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah man its very solid, its already cut for the lower tang which I think is mostly a SA-93 problem but Im gonna put the tang on & get a black KVAR butt. The thumbhole is good too but I gotta get it lookin radical. I noticed the extractor cut on the chamber face is like that of a AK74, sorta rotated sideways but the bolt wasn't a long skinny stem like a AK-100 series. What replacement parts do I need to get? Will old-school Bulgarian parts from a 1960s milled AK work? Thanks for all your help guys & when I get it converted & shoot it Ill let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I got to say....just cleaned off my new century yugo, thing is perfect. Will post pics later and a review. For less then 500 (484 shipped), no cant, no rust, clean and fresh new barrel, wood handguards, bayo lug, NO issues at all....I am happy. Need a cleaning rod.....
Somewhere in Eastern Europe, there's someone using Yugo cleaning rods for plant stakes, kabob skewers, or something.....(that's My theory)

---

1 - 17 of 17 Posts