Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the economy is GOING strong. :eek: If 200+ is the going rate for a WWII K98 sling ..cool. I guess I'll buy them later after I suck up all these cheap as hell RC K98's...Hell, I just picked up a bcd 4 for $260...a little more than that sling. :eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's all what you like/want... I sold 5 rds of Japanese dummy ammo on a strip for your 260 RC
I hear ya on the 'what you like/want. Trust me, I've over spent many a times for things I was looking for hard. Seems to happen after I've been looking for a while too. :D

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,728 Posts
Exotic, you have to remember, no matter what someone has money. At the gunshow last weekend I sold 3 rifles & 3 pistols all at or over $1,000 each. Plus 2 daggers to one guy for $4,500 and 2 Helmets for over $500 each. There is money out there for good stuff. I did not see the sling in question, but truthfully if it was really nice and one I wanted, $200 would not be a big deal. Skid

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Post the link. No problem with closed auctions. I bought two beautiful unissued condition original K98k slings with great ink stamps present for about $125 each when the ebay seller received alot of emails telling him they were "fake" :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exotic, you have to remember, no matter what someone has money. At the gunshow last weekend I sold 3 rifles & 3 pistols all at or over $1,000 each. Plus 2 daggers to one guy for $4,500 and 2 Helmets for over $500 each. There is money out there for good stuff. I did not see the sling in question, but truthfully if it was really nice and one I wanted, $200 would not be a big deal. Skid
Skid, It just caught me by surprise that's all. I guess you had a good day at the gun show, ehh? ;)

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Thanks for the link. It's a valuable link because the sling looks to me like an Austrian postwar Stg.58 sling (value, about $10-30) with a postwar (Yugo I believe) keeper. The buckle/slider is postwar. I'd bet $200 that the sling is postwar before I'd pay $20 for it. This is what it is, compare the adjuster and stitching:
http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/austrian_mp40_sling.htm

That green stuff is a coating on unissued slings of this kind. It's a protectant perhaps. These have been sold since the 80s (they were imported with the Austrian Stg.58 kits, and before) for $9 to $30. It is, tops, a $30 sling. The important points are the construction, crosshatching, slider construction, and finish. Many times these are cut down to K98k 46" length and reholed. The ink stamps are removed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sheesh, the sling only has 2 holes (ala post war austrian stg58 sling like Ham said). That's a gigantic give away. How can anyone think that's a K98 sling? How much more simple can it be than knowing how many holes are on a K98 sling?

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Thanks for the link ET.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Myself and a local collector were talking about that one when it was still open for bids and could not help but wonder why some were bidding that high for that. The brass button and the slide button were dead give aways to us and we both had it on watch to see just how high it would climb. No doubt at all they were victims of the description and lack of knowledge. I feel bad for them when and if they find out.

mow.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
An original WW2 German helmet with liner and chinstrap will fetch more than $500 on collectors websites these days. A restored reenactors helmet goes for 300 bucks and change, even though the liner, paint and decals aren't original...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow. Not much more you can say about that.

While a brass stud is not a 100% killer, (90%?) it is a HUGE flag. But in this case, that's the least of the problem.

And I quote..."This is a very rare catch...Go for it!"

I have something you can "go do", mr. auction guy. :D

Jeff

·
Registered
644 Posts
Postwar K98k Slings

There are postwar slings made specifically for the K98k. The Austrian and Israeli slings are two examples. They do not look exactly like German K98k slings, but on an RC who needs a $250.00 sling. The postwar slings I speak of go for $75.00 - $100.00 and look a damn sight better than the $25.00 reproduction slings that are out there.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
The best to use are he Austrian, which was the example peddled on epay for $200+. Rest assured that I have paid from $10 to $40 (tops, a new one, still with the protective paint) on epay. They usually go unsold for that. $75 is about twice what one would expect to pay for an excellent Israeli or Austrian, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts