Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to this forum. I am interested in purchasing a "M44" Russian Mosin Nagant bolt-action rifle. There is a sporting goods store in the California Bay Area where I live that is offering these rifles for sale. The ad reads "7.62 x 54R Caliber" and "Side-Folding Bayonet". It does not specify the year, but does read "Rifle condition varies by store". I researched this rifle, and it seems just what I am looking for as a rifle for self-defense. But I am worried about the ammunition. Is the 7.62x54R available for purchase, and if so, can one living in California legally purchase this ammo if, for example, it had to be mail ordered? Thanks so much for any information.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
Sounds like you've come across a Big-5 ad. 7.62x54r isn't too hard to find in the CA Bay Area, and as far as I know the ammo can be mail ordered except for in certain parts of So. California.

As far as an M44 for self defense, I'd reconsider.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sporting good stores in your area should carry 54R but if not check the Gunboards sponsor links and one of them is sure to have some. I agree with the others for home defense a M44 is not your best choice. Look at getting your self a handgun or shotgun for that purpose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for information so far

Thank you for the information so far, it sounds like the 7.62x54R ammunition is still available from sporting/gun supply stores. I will ask. I would only purchse the rifle (yes Big 5 Sporting Goods, that was the ad!) if I can get the ammo. My interest is rifles, I see them as a good choice if something "really went wrong" (e.g. our friends and neighbors had to defend for ourselves if you will). Currently I have a Winchester 30-30. I also have a Taurus .22 revolver, and .22 rifle. But the Russian Mosin Nagant really strikes me as a rugged rifle, able and a military history to it as pretty reliable. Actually, I am thinking it would make an excellent rifle for self defense. Any additional information as to how one can purchase ammunition for this rifle, or this rifle's availability in good condition, would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I'm surprised! Fast response

Also, I am surprised as to the fast response to my "newbee" first time posting! It appears this forum is VERY popular, and has a lot of members and a lot of postings and replies. This seems to be an excellent web site. Thank you all for making this site available to the public.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sounds like your expecting the worst from pelosi, boxer, and feinstien, lol
If you are expecting a "protect your turf, no law around" type protection or self defense you are still not making the wisest choice in selecting an M44. If this is for "in the home" type or "home defense" I agree with the others. Best choice, shotgun then handgun(the .22 is a little small a caliber for that). What you seem to be aluding to is a sort of urban crisis type defense(actual 2nd amendment application). If that is the case then the M44 is out dated as a weapon of choice. look more to an SKS or AK47, AR15 something like that. Actually your winchester would serve you as well as or better than an M44 would in what I think you are describing. Check into the new Saiga shotguns. If m44 is what you want try www.JGsales.com for both the weapon and the ammo. They are in arizona and would not be too bad for shipping ammo to you, but check your local laws first to make sure you can receive it.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Heck, most of us buy rifles because we "want" something, not because we "need" another gun. I say if ya want a M44, then go buy one =+) Go to Big 5 & look over what they have to offer - Find one with a matching bolt & a shiny bore(ask them if you can run a patch through the bore) Buy the gun & take it home and clean off any cosmo(a thick heavy grease like substance used by many countries as a preservative)(in the barrel & the action) Then find a range and practice shoot the rifle(use earplugs). Ammo? Go to any sporting goods store that sells ammo & see if they stock the ammo for your new M44(remember to use Hoppes to clean your gun if you shoot surplus ammo - it is corrosive & can rust up the bore over time if you do not use Hoppes or another solvent that fights corrosive residue) - Call any of the Gunboards sponsors who sell ammo or M44's & check their price on ammo or the M44's. Find a gundealer who knows your local laws & see if the shop can order the items you need. Lastly, the M44 would do in a scrape with bad guys, I would not hesitate to use one if I had to. The only problem with using such a rifle in a city would be over penetration of the bullet - It is capable of shooting through your house & unintentionally hitting someone in another house....=+(
Thus the sage advice of the other posters should be heeded, a 12 gauge shotgun is the best urban defence gun I can think of. I live in a rural location, but the shotgun is the first thing I pick up if something spooky comes around....& I am an excellent pistol shot....=+)

Pahtu.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well, if you do find yourself in some horrible urban SHTF situation, you can shoot someone hiding behind an automobile or cement wall with a round of 54r, and probably hit whoever is standing behind them, as well...not to mention torching anything flammable within 5 feet of the muzzle. If you ever shoot the carbine inside of a building with no ear protection, you will probably lose a good portion of your hearing forever, too.

"Overkill" does not even begin to cover the idea of an M44 for "home defense." These weapons were built for brutal street-to-street combat in totally bombed out terrain, at the climax of the bloodiest war in human history. That said, I like mine a lot, anyway, and always pack it along on trips out to the woods for target practice. The thing sounds more like a cannon than a rifle, and is pretty darn accurate indeed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can echo what everyone else has said, don't get an M44 for home defense. Overpenetration, overkill, hearing loss, its bolt action so if first shot misses, you won't have an extremely quick follow up shot. And as Seano said, it is more like a cannon than a rifle when it goes off. I have never shot it around people and not had someone comment about it's bark and it's 4 foot fireball. I keep a Makarov IJ-70 for my home defense.

I would just buy it to shoot it. I love all of my M44's and M38's, beautiful rifles to look at and shoot.

Onto the subject of 54r. It is very easy to find and surplus shoots very very nice, you just have to do some searching to find the type that your rifle likes best.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thought I'd also mention, as a side note, that an older American revolver in .38 or .357 is a great value for a "house gun," as the market was flooded with them when Law Enforcement coast to coast upgraded to semi-autos in the 80s. I used to see older street cops in Texas, sergeants or supervisors usually, still working with their trusty S&W Model 19s right into the late 90s. A former night-shift superintendent at the Taxi company I work for, a Marine who had spent a great deal of time in Vietnam, carried a S&W 66, which is the 19 in stainless steel.

The Czech CZ82 in 9x18, a fine, all-steel Police/Military sidearm with a 12 round mag, is a good milsurp deal right now, too.

By all means, do pick up a "Big 5" M44 if you want, they too are worth every penny, but pay close attention to it's magnificent, awe-inspiring roar when you first take it to the range, and think carefully about the repercussions of using a very high-powered rifle round like that in a crowded city, like the Bay Area.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,152 Posts
Check out www.7.62x54r.net and www.mosinnagant.net

Both sites have a wealth of information on the Mosin Nagant.

Most of the military surplus ammunition is Berdan primed, steel cored, and some is also steel jacketed or steel cased. Almost all of it is corrosive.

The full metal jacket, steel core, or steel jacket on the bullet may not be allowed at the local shooting range. All of the ranges in the Bay area that I remember did not allow FMJ, steel cored, or steel jacketed ammunition. Finding soft point, lead cored 7.62x54R ammunition will pretty much limit you to the Wolf brand in terms of cost. Norma, Lapua, Remington, etc, all make soft-point ammunition, but the prices are pretty steep.

Finally, be warned that Mosinitis is incurable.

·
Silver Bullet member
290 Posts
Everyone here has told you to reconsider the M44 for home defense. They all bring out excellent points. This should not deter you from purchasing one, and next week, when the 91/30's are on sale, get one of those. If the 91/59's are resupplied to them, pick up one of those. Get them while you can, as who knows what will happen next in that state to erode your rights. A lot of the ammo available may have steel cores or bimetal jackets. This may cause problems at your local range, which may not allow steel cored bullets. If it's magnetic, you can't shoot it. J&G Sales in AZ has Bulgarian light ball ammo in 300 rd. tins for under $50 + shipping. This is dated from the 50's so it will have a lead core. They also have heavy ball, but this is harder on your shoulder. The M44 allows you to cook hot dogs on your bayo as you shoot! A heck of a fireball! Home defense is a scary thing in Kali. If it ever boiled down to between a bad guy and you, you BETTER be way beyond justified, otherwise you will get crucified in that state. A 12 ga. is the best home defense, but do yourself a favor and get some rubber buckshot for it. It will penetrate and kill at really close range, but it shows intent NOT to kill, but only deter, which may carry a lot of weight with a jury of the bad guy's peers.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,530 Posts
With a M44, after you shoot an intruder you can stab him to make sure he is not playing possum.

:D

Otherwise, follow the above advise. Get a 12 gauge pump and a good sidearm. I have always felt like a .45 or .40S&W pistol was the way to go but I really love the simplicity of a revolver if your life depends on it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My law enforcement instructor always said if you shoot an intruder coming through your window make sure he falls inside the window and not outside the window. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
The m-44 is a good all around multi tasking tool, use it as a club in close quarter combat, you could also use it to drive fence posts, you could also use it to start the charcoal grill, and turn the steaks with the bayo it would also make a good lever to move loads but it works best as a fun blaster punching holes in stuff,I own 7 MN rifles at present and have sent over 2000 rounds down range with mine, these are way to cumbersome to be using in a high stress defense situation, buy it because you can.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,593 Posts
I'll just chime in on the shotgun or .45ACP consensus. You don't wan't that .357 or 7.62 slug overpenetrating thru your walls and offing the Hippy next door (hmmm...or DO you:D).

Springfield XD is available in a California friendly package (NOT pictured). Also comfy to shoot & easy to maintain is the Ruger P-345. And then there's always the Glock 21 or 30.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am bay area also. Have have several thousand rounds delivered within the past few months. Ammo is not a problem. Using any bolt action rifle for self defense is a bad choice.
Shotgun is the best bet, handguns are a pain in the rear if you have little kids around and they require much more practice and training to get good at.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts