Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at Springfield Sporters and Numrich, but neither location lists the earlier windage adjustable rear sight. Does anyone know where I could locate one? Thanks.

·
Copper Bullet member
8,953 Posts
I posted a WTB above, and got a nice 8/53 sight for my No.5 from a helpful gentleman in the UK.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I meant to note that it's the MkIII (no star) rear sight. Thanks for correcting that. I'll keep looking and hopefully one will eventually turn up.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Windage adjustable sights

Keep checking the parts boxes at Gun Shows. I always look throught them. I have found several No. 1 Mk.III windage adjustable sights this way, and even found a couple of Swedish M96 target sights. Prices are usually very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
are they unpegged mkIII-* sights ? we can drill our own out - i want a true unpinned mkIII- no pin , no screw , no hole , i can pay for it - but to find it --thats the problem ,

but of coarse getting the matching SN will present the rub wont it ?

·
Registered
650 Posts
numbers game

Matching numbers......dream on:))) If the Apex lead is correct buy them all up before someone else does & can turn the screw. If not eMail me when I get back Mike:))

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,357 Posts
What value are these??

I am trying to understand the value of these windage adjustable sights from a collector's point of view. All of my No. 1's do not have windage adjustable sights but the sights they have are numbered correctly to the rest of the gun.

So, why would I want to replace them with a sight that is not original to the gun?

When were they start usings and stop usings the windage adjustable sights? My No. 1's cover from 1913-1943. What is the history behind these sights??

Thanks,

Matching numbers......dream on:))) If the Apex lead is correct buy them all up before someone else does & can turn the screw. If not eMail me when I get back Mike:))

·
Registered
254 Posts
Many Mark III*s were retrofitted with windage adjustable sights during the early 1920's (and cut-offs, if they had the slot).

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,357 Posts
Made a Mistake

My bad.... I took my 1913 LSA out of the safe to check and it does have a windage adjustable rear sight. That makes much more sense to me. Thanks ...

I am trying to understand the value of these windage adjustable sights from a collector's point of view. All of my No. 1's do not have windage adjustable sights but the sights they have are numbered correctly to the rest of the gun.

So, why would I want to replace them with a sight that is not original to the gun?

When were they start usings and stop usings the windage adjustable sights? My No. 1's cover from 1913-1943. What is the history behind these sights??

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clarify I want these sights for a rifle not to make it more "correct" but a better (to me anyway) shooter. It's not an original, highly collectible piece. I bought it as a barreled action and built it up into a complete MkIII* from parts I happen to have available. It's an accurate shooter, but I can't get the windage just right. Thought it would simplify the process if I had a windage adjustable rear sight. And while the bolt matches the receiver, the current rear sight has three lined out numbers, none of which match the rifle. So, it's just a little experiment to play with the rifles shootability. If it doesn't work, I can swap the rear sights back and go back to drifting the front sight the old fashion way. That's all. Oh, and here's the rifle after it was assembled.

·
Banned
155 Posts
Many Mark III*s were retrofitted with windage adjustable sights during the early 1920's (and cut-offs, if they had the slot).
So it is possible for a BSA 1918 SMLE Mk. III* with no cut off slot to have a windage adjustable sight?

·
Registered
254 Posts
So it is possible for a BSA 1918 SMLE Mk. III* with no cut off slot to have a windage adjustable sight?
WW1 SMLE mark III*s went through several "lives". First, as they were first built and after WW1 they went through a major refurb in the early 1920s. The cut-offs were installed if the receiver had a slot, as were windage back sights.

Many windage sights were later "upgraded" by armourers, who staked the slides, preventing them working and effectively turning them into fixed sights. There were several ways of doing this and depending on the method they may be recoverable. We do it regularly, but you need a bag of spare winadage screws and other bits to replace parts that are FUBAR.

Most back sights have more than one serial on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts