Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did The MkI webley ever get upgraded into MKIII types ?
What markings would be present to indicate it was a official modifacation ?

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are these any more desireable than other models ?

When military Webley MKs were upgraded *s were applied next to the model name. At the end of model runs many commercial webleys were upgraded without any special mark.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Removing the hump was a field armorer job. As a result the original grips were altered at the same time because each removal was unique. At the moment Collectors Firearms is selling one the best collections of military Webley break tops of which I am aware. Tamong the revolvers there is a single star MK I and a double star MK I, both of which still retain the hump. As time went on the biggest change as exemplified by the double star altered in 1914 for sale on that site is the cylinder release and the fitting of a MK IV cylinder. What is most interesting about the later changes is that a removable recoil shield was not fitted and the hump was left alone.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Here is the photo of a Mark I*** we recently sold. Note it still retains the "hump" and the cylinder and barrel were replaced with a Mark IV 4" barrel so it could handle smokeless loads:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Luckily, I have a slush fund that is controled by my left [email protected]&lce and it has given me permission to withdraw funds rather than lose its comfortable position if the need arises. Thank you Joel_Black for the link. I am finitely going to check it out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well, my left [email protected]&lce is safe for the time being. The Mk I** has been sold and not to me.

MG08, The huge broad arrow indicate a Royal Navy revolver and I would be carefull about firing .45 ACP in non-upgraded Mk I. Mk I's were made for black power ammunition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.