·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where I'm Coming From

Topic author: arisakadogs
Subject: Where I'm Coming From
Posted on: 01/06/2007 4:44:25 PM
I know some of you think I've been pretty hard on Josh. I've tried not to say much on many of his posts, but they finally got to me. I started collecting as a teenager in the '60s. Maybe that's the reason for my intolerance. Then, there was no information on this "junk" I fell in love with. All I had to go by was the reprint of the US military book "Japanese Infantry Weapons" and "2nd World War Combat Weapons - Japanese". Both are pretty much general references & you could tell what type weapon you had & no more. I knew nothing about arsenals, series, matching numbers, etc. There was no internet with it's wealth of information. Then I was the "dumb kid" that was a sucker for this $35 rifle! Now, with all these books, collector sites, etc., it just chaps my ass that this guy gets so much sympathy from y'all for not taking advantage of what's available. You talk of chipping in to buy him MRoJ, etc. Collecting is not a charity - it's for people that can afford & appreciate it! Anyway, that's why I'm such a *****.
You can't help folks that won't help themselves! Here's a shot of where I "talk" to y'all from. You can see the reference books I have within reach.

View attachment 11414
Download Attachment:
112.36 KB

Replies:

Reply author: unleashedndest
Replied on: 01/06/2007 6:20:16 PM

Reply author: 03man
Replied on: 01/06/2007 7:18:11 PM
Must be a prototype flame thrower on the right of the top shelf.

You aren't too hard on anyone, taking all the grift you do from Doss, it's amazing your as nice as you are.

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 01/06/2007 7:26:42 PM
Ha Ha, I knew someone one would say something on this. I bought this waterpipe in Tunisia when I was in the Navy in the "70's.

Reply author: Wolfsburg
Replied on: 01/06/2007 7:30:11 PM

Reply author: raym
Replied on: 01/06/2007 7:40:38 PM

I can't afford to collect these days but I have gotten a lot
of pleasure from my hobby of learning about these weapons
over the last year. I was just curious about the type 99
my dad brought back from the war. Now I am amazed at all the variations that are out there.
I try not to ask too many questions here because I don't
think I know enough yet to ask the kind of questions that
will be of interest to the fellows on the board. So I have
set back and learned by listening (reading) to your conversations. That said, the only dumb question is the one
that don't get asked!
Thanks for all the info guys, it's a pleasure to learn from the best!
Ray

Reply author: bambach
Replied on: 01/06/2007 7:58:21 PM
I agree 100%. I have been collecting since I was 14 years old, that was in the mid 70's and did get hooked up on Japanese weapons. I do remember after I bought my first T-99 (actually my mother bought for me at a gunshow, I wanted to know everything about. I worked at a restaurant washing dishes for an entire weekend in order to buy MRoJ (2nd edition) and MPoJ (1st edition). These books became my guide as I continued collecting military weapons. Anyone collecting military weapons should also invest is a extensive reference library.

Reply author: Edokko
Replied on: 01/06/2007 7:59:22 PM
Ahhhh A-dogs-san, I see you have Sugawa-san's Japanese MG book. Great selection ! I like that conveniently placed Sierra Nevada too.

Replied on: 01/06/2007 8:04:28 PM

quote: Originally posted by raym

That looks like a lid above the tv!

I can't afford to collect these days but I have gotten a lot
of pleasure from my hobby of learning about these weapons
over the last year. I was just curious about the type 99
my dad brought back from the war. Now I am amazed at all the variations that are out there.
I try not to ask too many questions here because I don't
think I know enough yet to ask the kind of questions that
will be of interest to the fellows on the board. So I have
set back and learned by listening (reading) to your conversations. That said, the only dumb question is the one
that don't get asked!
Thanks for all the info guys, it's a pleasure to learn from the best!
Ray
Really? Where? I've been out for many years! Would be nice to find a kick ass lid, right under my nose I didn't know about!

Replied on: 01/06/2007 8:30:33 PM
The "lid" is a Greenie treat for dogs. Got a free sample & will have to saw it into three pieces for my critters.
Edokko - this MG book looks like a great piece of work. The rifle & equipment book does as well. An English translation would be great for everyone but Josh! Can you do anything to help on this?
View attachment 11415
Download Attachment:
120.01 KB
View attachment 11416
Download Attachment:
134.66 KB
The "blob" in these photos is the base of a 3" Confederate "Reed" shell that was fired from a 3" captured US rifle on Sept 17 1862, at Fredricksberg, VA.

Reply author: JWMWITZ
Replied on: 01/06/2007 8:55:18 PM

I especially like the motorcycle dude on the TV. Isn't it fun to have our decorative tastes evaluated by such sophisticated gentlemen as those of us who haunt this board? Might want to hide the silk screen "dogs playing poker" rug.

I started out with a Type 99 long rifle that I bought at a yard sale and the Type 38 and two bayonets that my dad brought back from the Pacific (still have them). That was all about 35 years ago.

This forum has linked a bunch of folks together that otherwise would never know one another. It's a fun part of my day to read the posts and learn new things. So, why isn't there a 21 series Kokura Type 38 out there???

John in Charlotte, NC

Reply author: davef
Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:03:04 PM
well personally I think your "dinky dou" but a nice guy...LOL...however,I opened a quart of 25yr lowfrieg at 4 when I got off work,so everythin is kind of warm and fuzzy by now..just getting right and playing music,locked in my gunroom (some people in this house have no appreciation for good music)..went thru my barry sadler collection,then in country ,songs of the vietnam war,thru my civil war collection (cant belive she doesnt like "good ol rebel" or "bonnie blue")..now I found my new big&rich album "8th of november"....none of which has anything to do with the subject,but right now I dont care....

Reply author: Arditi
Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:11:05 PM

I couldn't stop laughing at that comment for some reason. I thought the same thing. I've enjoyed your earlier "War Room" pics. It took perseverance to accumulate your fine collection. I was noticing your "coal scuttle", gasmask, stick grenade and soft cap. You dabble a bit outside of Japanese I see. Best Regards, Arditi

Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:23:56 PM

quote: Originally posted by JWMWITZ

Rob,

I especially like the motorcycle dude on the TV. Isn't it fun to have our decorative tastes evaluated by such sophisticated gentlemen as those of us who haunt this board? Might want to hide the silk screen "dogs playing poker" rug.
No poker playing dogs here. Wish there was so I could retire & become a gunshow gypsy.

Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:30:12 PM
Can't believe no one noticed the surround sound system. Bose, with 302 backups. Don't talk to me!

Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:42:19 PM

quote: Originally posted by unleashedndest

Is that your bong lol
I love this post! it rips my spleen out!

Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:44:02 PM
A-dogs, if I translated those books without permission, Sugawa will kick me in the butt, and besides it'll probably take so much time, you wouldn't be interested in Japanese weapons by the time I'm finished. Though I can try to give you "highlight" translations on specific paragraphs or captions if you let me know which page number.

Reply author: unleashedndest
Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:44:27 PM
I seen those bose speakers, but I just put my polk audios on my wall last week so neener nenner lol

Reply author: type-14
Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:50:20 PM
How come only one rifle in the photo? Oh I know it's a Tokyo and can't go in the Nagoya room right

Reply author: kb0uxv
Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:51:58 PM
Edokko, any chance of your translating the original issue operation manual for the type 99 LMG?

Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:54:35 PM

quote: Originally posted by raym

That looks like a lid above the tv!
I don't think I've had this much fun with a post since I've been here.

Replied on: 01/06/2007 9:57:31 PM

Replied on: 01/06/2007 10:09:02 PM
John Mayer has some nice music 'to go' this evening! The new "Continuim" album is really good! Enjoy!

Reply author: Clyde from Carolina
Replied on: 01/06/2007 10:44:57 PM
I have one of John Mayer's older albums and like it a lot. I'm all over the map music wise; mostly listen to classical and jazz and Sinatra and Johnny Mercer stuff lately but every now and then I break down and listen to the newer stuff.

Good post, dogs! This has been a pretty fun one. Not really the "wheat" Doss speaks of, but fun nonetheless.

Replied on: 01/06/2007 10:54:22 PM

quote: Originally posted by kb0uxv

Edokko, any chance of your translating the original issue operation manual for the type 99 LMG?

Not the whole manual, but any specific areas you wan't, let me know and will do my best.

Reply author: Jareth
Replied on: 01/06/2007 11:06:08 PM
Dam I thought computer room was from that movie "Thirty Year Old Virgin"

Reply author: raym
Replied on: 01/06/2007 11:53:23 PM
Rob, I did notice the bose. I'll stick with my 30 year old JBL's and Yamaha's!
As for the lid check behind the speaker grills. That was always a good place to hid them!
LOL
If you find some let me know, I can drive there in about 20hrs!!
Ray

Replied on: 01/08/2007 9:41:14 PM

quote: Originally posted by Arditi

"Is that your bong lol"

I couldn't stop laughing at that comment for some reason. I thought the same thing. I've enjoyed your earlier "War Room" pics. It took perseverance to accumulate your fine collection. I was noticing your "coal scuttle", gasmask, stick grenade and soft cap. You dabble a bit outside of Japanese I see. Best Regards, Arditi
At one time I hoped to put together the full "kit" of a late war German soldier. That sorta fell by the wayside when I traded my Gewher 98 for an Arisaka!

Replied on: 01/08/2007 9:43:44 PM

quote: Originally posted by davef

well personally I think your "dinky dou" but a nice guy...LOL...however,I opened a quart of 25yr lowfrieg at 4 when I got off work,so everythin is kind of warm and fuzzy by now..just getting right and playing music,locked in my gunroom (some people in this house have no appreciation for good music)..went thru my barry sadler collection,then in country ,songs of the vietnam war,thru my civil war collection (cant belive she doesnt like "good ol rebel" or "bonnie blue")..now I found my new big&rich album "8th of november"....none of which has anything to do with the subject,but right now I dont care....
Your "drunk" posts are a crackup!
Do you have any of Bobby Horton's Civil War music?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts