Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not stepping too far over the line of demarcation here, but for the past six years, I've been looking to acquire a legit, serviceable K98b (not 98k). I'm aware that back in the mid to late 90s, Century International imported a batch of Albanian capture K98b's, but this predated my getting into the C & R field, so I missed that opportunity. Since then, I've seen absolutely nothing on either Auction Arms or Gunbroker, and my listing in the WTB Forum a couple of weeks back proved just as fruitless. Thus, I'm hopeful that someone out there in the Gunboards community might have information that would help bring this search for a relatively rare German Mauser to a successful conclusion.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
98B have low production estimates, low survival rates and are highly prized by collectors. There are never going to be a lot of them floating around for sale.

That being said a matching one sold on AA at the begining of the summer and there was another for sale on GB before that.

The fact that nobody responded to a WTB ad isn't surprising at all.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
There was one listed by mauser 98K for sale on the wts gunboards forum about 5 or 6 years ago and I never bothered to respond. I know of one here on the Kenai Peninsula that I hope to look over soon. rare birds they are
gil

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the responses thus far. I guess I'm going to have to start checking GB and AA more often than I have been. I know that only about 100,000 were mfg., with the bulk being Gew98 conversions (according to Law's book). But it sounds like legit, serviceable examples are out there. Encouraging.

Again, many thanks.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The one on AA a couple months ago was sold by a chucklehead and only got as I recall $1k or so? I went to $800 on his description/limited images alone but the chucklehead seller simply refused to provide decent pics and expected everyone to go by his "expertise"?
It was one of the "S" receivers in the "a" block and fit so far as I could tell from his 5 pics, but considering the rifle had salvaged parts, stock certainly (though properly done); I really think it righteous and a damn shame the seller was so foolish.. as I too have been seeking a righteous 98b totally original, it being one of the scarcer variations all the better - I suspect someone got quite lucky picking that one up!

At least the seller shot himself in the foot (hated to loose out on the potential but I did get a bit of satisfaction watching it go so cheap..), dude was a totally annoying to deal with, and the consequence was I lost out on a potentially el cheapo rare variation and that dope lost $1k minimal if it was as I suspect.

Editor Military Rifle Journal:
http://militaryriflejournal.com/

http://gewehr98.com/

Appreciate the responses thus far. I guess I'm going to have to start checking GB and AA more often than I have been. I know that only about 100,000 were mfg., with the bulk being Gew98 conversions (according to Law's book). But it sounds like legit, serviceable examples are out there. Encouraging.

Again, many thanks.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,218 Posts
The one on AA a couple months ago was sold by a chucklehead and only got as I recall $1k or so? I went to $800 on his description/limited images alone but the chucklehead seller simply refused to provide decent pics and expected everyone to go by his "expertise"?
It was one of the "S" receivers in the "a" block and fit so far as I could tell from his 5 pics, but considering the rifle had salvaged parts, stock certainly (though properly done); I really think it righteous and a damn shame the seller was so foolish.. as I too have been seeking a righteous 98b totally original, it being one of the scarcer variations all the better - I suspect someone got quite lucky picking that one up!

At least the seller shot himself in the foot (hated to loose out on the potential but I did get a bit of satisfaction watching it go so cheap..), dude was a totally annoying to deal with, and the consequence was I lost out on a potentially el cheapo rare variation and that dope lost $1k minimal if it was as I suspect.

Editor Military Rifle Journal:
http://militaryriflejournal.com/

http://gewehr98.com/
Hi Graf! Started reading this and realized who it was. I like the new name.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
German estimate is only about 50,000 K98bs (Wacker). Matched ones are hard; I've only found two so far. I've seen the S-code a-suffix job referenced above; it seems to be all new parts (e/6) except for the stock proper which is a converted G98 stock w e/6 takedown washer; no Gew 98 or Karab 98b on rail.

Has anybody ever surveyed SNs and suffixes on these?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes, I couldn't log in during the previous switch (this last one either but at least this time the powers that be thought well enough to have a password reset available so I didn't have to change a 3rd time!) so I took my primary interest as a handle.. last couple three years I have been focusing interest in the murky waters of reworks, Weimar era in particular, though the HZa jobs too, and of course you can't have an interest in Weimar era firearms without Simson Suhl being a primary focus point..

CB; I know of only a couple efforts and you know of them already, - both Mark Wieringa and Joe Steen worked on the subject, Joe a couple months back told me on the horn (back when he answered his phone..) that he was working on an update to his S28 article he published in the MRJ years ago.
I have a file on the 98b and record all that I come across off auction sites, observations, and threads...

Hi Graf! Started reading this and realized who it was. I like the new name.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Clay,

I remember you sold me a 98b stock several years ago. I had purchased a bubba'ed 98b from a local gun shop.

Nope, the one I've got isn't all-matching...but at least it's back to it's somewhat 'original-configuration'.....thanks to you. :)

Thanks & take care.......

·
Registered
29 Posts
How much would a decent condition, numbers matching rifle marked "Karab 98b" on the reciever be worth approximatly? I just picked one up today at the local pawn shop for cheap. I had no idea there rifles were rare until I read this post, I just bought it because it is a cool little rifle.

·
Registered
474 Posts
How much would a decent condition, numbers matching rifle marked "Karab 98b" on the reciever be worth approximatly? I just picked one up today at the local pawn shop for cheap. I had no idea there rifles were rare until I read this post, I just bought it because it is a cool little rifle.
Snorules.......Has it been sporterized? Can you post some photos?

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,687 Posts
Yes, Pictures please!

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
German estimate is only about 50,000 K98bs (Wacker). Matched ones are hard; I've only found two so far. I've seen the S-code a-suffix job referenced above; it seems to be all new parts (e/6) except for the stock proper which is a converted G98 stock w e/6 takedown washer; no Gew 98 or Karab 98b on rail.

Has anybody ever surveyed SNs and suffixes on these?
Since I bought my first 98b in the late '70's I have been extremely intrigued by this variation. Since then I have bought every matching specimen I have found. About this same time I bought my first SS G98 Dhd rework and have since bought almost every legit example I have found. (Maybe took a pass on 2-3 dups). Today I have substantially more Dhd reworks than 98b's. I am not suggesting Dhd reworks were produced in the same quantity as the b's. However, increased time in service and the attrition of war took its toll on the b's. Still as I write this, 50K b's strikes me as a stat I don't necessarily dispute but that gives me pause to reconsider.

Scott

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just to throw it out there....you can create a repro 98b with a Gew 98 barrel, K98 rear sight and there is a gentleman who produces repro-98b stocks.
When your all said and done you might just spend quite a bit of cash, but you'll have a 98b "configured" rifle.
I have a reciever stamped Spandau 1916/27 with a sportered barrel that I intend to do this with in the near future. I'll post pics when I finalize it.
I've owned 5 98b's including a 1924 Simpson and still own 3, but this project may not be correct as a 98b though, perhaps it needs to be a 98M project? Graf and others, any insight?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts