Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed some MN rifles have metal sling swivels. Were these factory original to the Russian rifles, added in the field, or have other origins? I know the Finns sometimes used them as well as Spain. When I'm on an auction site for example, I have seen varied types, although few MNs with these. What does a rifles inclusion, or lack of sling swivels tell me about the rifle? The one I saw today didn't tell me anything really, because the pictures were kind of bad and there were not really any close ups. Its ongoing so I can't post it under the rules, but I am curious about it.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Uh, there are three basic kinds of sling escutcheons or sling slots for Mosin-Nagants. The design of the Russian sling slots comes from the weapons that preceded the Mosin-Nagant rifle, like Berdans and so on. Basically, there is the pre-GPW/ WWII style, where an oval piece of metal with tiny screws at either end attached over the slot in the stock, the so-called "wartime" style with a completely unlined rear sling slot, and the "late-war/ postwar style" with the pressed in metal pieces. All this is found in the 7.62x54r.net site on Mosin-Nagant stock features.

The Finns did not use "dog collars" to attach slings to the rifle, and so Finnish rifles show greater variation with wire hangers or actual sling loops and so on. Knowing how the Russians built the slots is a good quick method for dating a stock, and seeing a wire or metal hanger is a dead give-away for a Finn, a Spanish Civil War rifle, or a Balkan rifle, if one knows what to look for.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is what I have determined from 7.62x54.net is that they are either Austro-Hungarian, Balkan, Spanish, or Finnish. The rifle is a 1937 which would make it correct for an SCW, but like I said the pics are bad. I also noticed they need pics of a spanish front sling swivel on the website. I would be willing to provide one if they so desire.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
the finnish sling swivels are threaded and held on by a screw that passes through the sling slot in the stock. if the excutcheons around the sling slot are round, they'd be finn, too. the spanish, balkan, and austrian sling swivels i've seen have all been bent wire. hth, y'all have a good day. Keith

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
No one else used simple hangers like these?

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True, but based on their square shape (comparing to mine and examples from 7.62x54r.net) they appear to be spanish style....your guess is as good as mine though. i thought it was an interesting rifle, just a bit too pricey :shrug:

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
So it is safe to conclude that not all of these rifles imported from Spain are marked "Made in USSR/URRS"?

·
Administrator
9,612 Posts
Just one added Point on Sling Swivels on Mosins, the First Model M1891 (1891-1907/8) had a sling swivel on the Upper Band (at Muzzle) and another at the Forward magazine Hinge Pin; ONly the Dragoon /Khazak rifles had the slots from the beginning...In WW I there were still a lot of "pre-1908" rifles in use...the sling was "Musket-Parade" style, rather than "shoulder carry" style

BY the Mid-1920s, nearly all Soviet M91s had the Normal slotted stock and dog collars...the old style swivels had been removed from the Band and the Magazine.

Of course, Captured Austrian, etc WW I rifles were fitted with wire or other swivels to use Local slings (not enough Dog collars to go around).

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Finns did not make or use bent wire sling hangars to my understanding. The front early band on the 1891 had a space in between the band sides for the sling hook of the early 1891 sling.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,874 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
Do you think he faked the wire hangers? Might be a good way to wring a few extra bucks from an otherwise uninteresting rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts