Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In traveling to gun shows throughout our area, I've met a surprizing number of folks who read this forum but never post. The purpose of the forum is to help like-minded folks meet, facilitate comradarie, range trips, info, even trading amongst ourselves. Perhaps the best way to give this a jump start is simply to tell where we are located. I'm betting it's likely that some of these folks who never post will find out someone is in their area and perhaps make a new friend. (The last couple of incarnations of gunboards left this thread looking a bit ragged and patched together. So, why not start anew? Chime in everyone!)

I'll start it out, I'm near Cleveland in Bradley County, Tennessee. I work in downtown Chattanooga for the most part, though my region covers 14 counties and I'm likely to be anywhere in that area when I'm doing field work.

I collect mostly military guns, bolt action rifles primarily, and military pistols. Enfields are an emphasis for me, as are Mosin-Nagants and South American Mausers. The Makarov is my favorite pistol, followed closely by the Tokarev. I'm trying to expand into revolvers, and would like to learn more about Smith & Wesson in particular, even the commercial guns.

I can occasionally be found at the Sumac Creek range in NW Georgia off Hwy 411 near Cisco on Sundays, shooting these old weapons.

Next!

SlimTim

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Macon Georgia.

Born in Louisville, Ky; spent several childhood years in Brownsville, Ky and Mt. Washington, Ky areas before being dragged to Macon.

I like milsurps. I once had a decent size SKS and Mosin collection. I've experienced some highway robbery from the tax man and liquidated quite a few. I'm kind of re-focusing my collecting.

I'm partial to my AKs. My favorite rifle caliber AK is my SAR-3 in .223. My favorite shooter is my Saiga-12 shotgun. hoo-ah!!

I've been piling up some handguns lately and like the Toks a heap. i've got several Nazi marked handguns.
My fav's currently are my Ballestar Molina (there is not an brand of HP or ball made that it won't throw downrange) and my M9 Beretta.

Oh, yea. I like the Garand and M1 Carbine too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Kingsport, TN.

I mostly collect WWI firearms, but have an a fairly decent WWII collection as well. I just started getting into big bore blackpowder military rifles. I also have a passion for restoring military weapons.

I do most of my shooting in Boozy Creek, TN on private property.

·
Gold+ Bullet member
339 Posts
Atlanta, GA. Atlanta native, here all my life except for 4 years in Army Security Agency, partly in sunny SE Asia. Also spend a fair amount of time at our place in Blairsville to escape urban insanity. Mostly WWII, US, Russian, Finn plus a fair collection of SKS's. Work is getting in the way of shooting lately. The change in Gunboards has resulted in some withdrawal pains lately, but I'm back.

Interesting irony..our join dates show up as December 1969..I was head to Vietnam for the start of my first tour.

·
Diamond Member
708 Posts
Banks County, Georgia

Grew up in within sight of Stone Mountain, after college I became a county agricultural agent for the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service, started out in Dalton, Ga just south of Slim Tim in 1977. Moved to NE GA in 1980, retired from the extension service in 2003, work at REI, a store that sells backpacking and camping equipment now.

Started out collecting Enfields since 1986 when the import laws changed and they were cheap. I passed on all those old Mosin Nagant rifles at Roses and Sky City because there was no ammo for them. Besides, who wanted those old crappy Russian.

Finally given a Mosin for free and then read an article about them being Finnish not Russian. Got on the internet and found Tuco's website in the pre-Gunboards days. I've had as many as 120 Finn rifles at one time. My collection is down substantially from that. Now the the prices have risen so much, wish I'd kept them all now.

Anyway, you my know the quote by the humorist Dave Barry made about me. He said, "There is a fine line between a middle aged mans hobbies and mental illness." I've tottered on that line for a long time.

Went to Finland with Tuco and Vic in 2000 and am a Finnish reenactor. I do have pictures of Brent passed out in a ditch from that trip but i'm sure most of yall do too.

Don't shoot enough because of my goofy schedule working retail. Maybe that will change in a little while.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Chattanooga, TN

Have sold most of my mil-supl now I am just fixing up what I have left. Love my US Military stuff. Love reloading and shooting with my good friend BOK.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm Stan and I live in South Carolina just south of Greenville.I moved here from the Atlanta area in 1997 and retired five years ago.I stay pretty busy marketing and shipping my LT sight adjusters and working part time at a gun shop.
Retirement is great!

Stan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nolensville, TN, soon to be Nashville proper. Since I'm moving soon I'll be out of the "buying new guns" loop for a while, but I plan to hit the range wheneverI can afford to feed my guns and myself. Maybe just the guns, I need to lose weight anyways.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Talbot County, GA

I'm into WWII guns and any Mosin-Nagant rifle/carbine. I also like modern handguns in 9mm and .45acp

Just bought a Garand, so now I just need a WWII Enfield to round out the collection of WWII guns.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Columbus, GA

Just graduated college so have a little more disposable income.

Into just about any firearms but mainly WWII long arms and modern handguns.

Mark

·
Gold Bullet Member
223 Posts
Barrow Co. Georgia near Winder,transplanted from South Dakota nearly 30 years ago.Being a navy brat of the cold war I became interested in world politics and history,especialy Russian.Interest in guns and Russia eventuly clicked and started this addiction.I went on the first Finn./Russia trip(my second trip to Russia)and roomed with Dennis Kroh.After a divorce afew years ago and my oldest son in collage,I'm not spending much on guns these days.But I have lots of toys mostly Russian and Finn

·
Diamond Member
708 Posts
Butch and JP on a MG in Helsinki

Hey Butch, I found a found a photo of you and JP from Dallas on a Maxim at the Sotamuseo in Helsinki on our first evening in Finland from 2000. Dang do you look young.

·
Gold Bullet Member
223 Posts
Thanks Guitarzan

That was a great trip

·
Registered
222 Posts
Conyers, Georgia. About 30 miles east of downtown Atlanta. Used to be far enough.

I shoot at South River Gun Club, about 8 miles away. Just not often enough.

I have enjoyed meeting a few from this board at local shows, but I've missed the last few.

·
Silver Bullet member
282 Posts
Dawson County, GA...

Just a casual collector of anything that sends rounds down range. Am blessed with a backyard big enough to site the firearms in and occasionally go up to Sumac after work (from south Murray county). Have owned a couple Makarovs since early to mid-'90s and now have a pretty serious case of the East Mak virus. Turned wrenches for Uncle S back in the early '80s and now wrench for him as a civilian. Take care all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live in suburban Nashville, work downtown as an Assistant DA.

I collect much like I do this board: I look a lot, and every now and then I do something about it.

I've mostly got handguns, since I got into this hobby after a scare at work, and I'm reminded almost daily of the violence that can be inflicted on innocent people.

A couple of years ago my uncle, a WWII vet, gave me an M1. That's an interesting story that I'll share sometime, but it got me interested in long guns. This spring, I bought a M44 from Slim Tim at a gun show in Nashville. I was thinking about using the M44 to kill Bambi, only to find that it's illegal in TN to hunt with a bayonet. Now I'm in the market for an M38 and an M1 carbine.

Slim Tim also sold me the first Makarov ammo I ever bought, so I guess it's fair to say that he's an enabler for my obsession. I've only seen the man twice, but he's always been straight with me. Thanks again, Slim Tim.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live near Willis, Texas which is about 50 miles north of Houston where I work. I live on some beautiful acerage with my wife and 6 kids. We shoot on our property which makes the long commute bearable.

My collection is mostly modern firearms but I do have some old stuff as well. My favorites are my Kimber, my Marlin Camp carbines, and my Mosin (when I want to wake the cows).

1 - 20 of 145 Posts