Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a copy of the "Where are you?" thread from gunboards 2.0, posted for information only. Please continue to contribute to the new thread here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=203

Please note any responses from 8/16/07 to approximately 9/10/07 on the short-lived replacement forum are unfortunately lost.
=========================================================

Where are you?

Printed from: Gunboards
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108730
Printed on: 09/11/2007

Topic author: SlimTim
Subject: Where are you?
Posted on: 06/02/2005 10:03:11 AM

In my travels to gun shows throughout our area, I've met a surprizing number of folks who read this forum but never post. The purpose of the forum is to help like-minded folks meet, facilitate comradarie, range trips, info, even trading amongst ourselves. Perhaps the best way to give this a jump start is simply to tell where we are located. I'm betting it's likely that some of these folks who never post will find out someone is in their area and perhaps make a new friend.

I'll start it out, I'm near Cleveland in Bradley County, Tennessee. I work in downtown Chattanooga for the most part, though my region covers 14 counties and I'm likely to be anywhere in that area when I'm doing field work.

I collect mostly military guns, bolt action rifles primarily, and military pistols. Enfields are an emphasis for me, as are Mosin-Nagants and South American Mausers. The Makarov is my favorite pistol, followed closely by the Tokarev. I'm trying to expand into revolvers, and would like to learn more about Smith & Wesson in particular, even the commercial guns.

I can occasionally be found at the Sumac Creek range in NW Georgia off Hwy 411 near Cisco on Sundays, shooting these old weapons.

Next!

SlimTim

Replies:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply author: WDathome
Replied on: 06/02/2005 4:17:34 PM
Hey all,
I live in Birchwood,between Cleveland & Dayton.I'm new to the C&R thing. I bought my first at the Knoxville show, a CZ52. Now I'm looking for a Mac. I go to most gun shows that are close so I've probably seen some of you. I just bought a log book at the East ridge show, and am ready to fill it up.(lol)

Deano

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply author: GMerr2
Replied on: 06/02/2005 7:34:22 PM
Hey all! I'm Rev. George, and I live with The Ruler of All Evil (aka Kellie). We live in Hixson, about 2 minutes from the Chickamauga Dam....we used to just collect military pistols, but because of Slim Tim, we've expanded into rifles too! =-)

Rev. George

Reply author: high-life
Replied on: 06/02/2005 9:33:07 PM
Okay Slim's on us readers who don't post,He's right we need to be more sociable.
I live in Knoxville,Tn. My work region covers almost every nook and cranny in East Tn. including Fontana,NC & Pinvelle,Ky.
My gunboards name was comprised of three highs in my life. My work (high voltage 500,000v),my past,and my last name.
I collect military weapons also,I like Mak's and Tok's too. But my interests lately are towards the various Nazi issue handguns.Other items I seek are Ruger #1's or any better specimen of something I have.
Haven't been at this C&R thing long, although I've owned guns for 38 of my 48 years.
Enjoy going to gunshows watching the pinhookers and dealers work and consider myself somewhere between the two. Enjoying learning about guns and like my old construction mentors use to say " boy if you don't use your head you might as well have two a$$#$
Next!

Reply author: Shureshot
Replied on: 06/03/2005 02:27:50 AM
I live in Crandall, Ga. on Grassy Mountain, about 15 minutes from the Sumac Shooting Range. I'm a full-time performing songwriter and musician. I work for Carnival Cruiselines on the SS 'Celebration' out of Jacksonville, Fla. I'm gone from home a lot. I shoot mostly muzzle-loaders and antique military arms. Hope to see y'all at the range sometime.

Reply author: airdale
Replied on: 06/03/2005 07:49:27 AM
I live in Greene CO. close to Greeneville in northeast TN.,land of good whiskey, pretty women, ugly dogs and accurate rifles. I collect and shoot all types of military surplus rifles but focus on Carcanos as my primary interest. The gunshows I normally attend are in Knoxville, Kingsport, TN. and Asheville, NC.

Reply author: Bok
Replied on: 06/03/2005 08:09:47 AM
I live in Ringgold GA and did not even own a gun until November of 2003. I have always been interested in military history so I took a ride in a B-24 that year, I was also given a cosmo packed Chinese SKS that year.
Learning to clean and disassemble the SKS introduced me to the availability of things I had only read about or seen on TV.Something just clicked, that was about 20 guns, a couple of rifle matches and a few thousand dollars ago.
In an attempt to control my spending I do not have a C&R license and limit my purchases to gun types used in the major wars of the 20th century, one of each but upgrades are allowed.
I'm no stranger to Slim Tim, Mosko, GMerr2 and the Sumac Creek Shooters Club although it seems the club has been on hiatus lately.

Reply author: logansdad
Replied on: 06/03/2005 9:30:00 PM
Where am I? I'm over here, of course. But I'll be over there soon.

Seriously, though, as a life-long Tennesseean, I made an serious error in judgement 3.5 years ago and moved to the Cincinnati area for a new job. That said, I'm moving back to Tennessee next week - to Jackson, TN, to be specific - to rectify this error.

Before moving to Knoxville, TN, several years ago, I was mostly a commercial firearms owner and shooter - skeet, a little hunting, punching paper, etc. That was before I met SlimTim and Tennesseean, who sold me my first IJ70 and East German Makarov, respectively. And the rest is history....

Now, I collect the Makarov pistol in its various forms, along with certain other milsurp and modern firearms. I'm particularly fond of carbine length milsurp rifles like the Mosin-Nagant M-44 and the #5 Enfield Jungle carbine. Even my AR-15 is a CAR-15!! I also like my Schmidt-Rubin K-31, but for the life of me can't figure out how they call that thing a carbine. The Simonov rifle (SKS) is also a favorite.

My handgun tastes run from mundane to eclectic. Stainless steel N-frame S&W revolvers trip my trigger and the semi-auto stable includes everything from a Glock (ho-hum) to my newest edition, an FN Five-seveN pistol. Hence, the comment about mundane to eclectic.

Once I get settled into Jackson, I'm sure I'll be frequenting the Nashville and Memphis gun shows and may even slide over to Knoxville once in a while to try and steal a Mak or two from under SlimTim's and Tennesseean's noses - a daunting task indeed!!

Reply author: keithreid
Replied on: 06/03/2005 10:41:44 PM
i'm just west of scottsboro, AL. would give you the name, but it's not on any map i ever saw. i live about 18 miles from the shooting range in skyline, AL. i collect mosin's, swede and polish mausers, and older military semi-auto's. the odd pistol and carcano, too. well, i got into arisaka's today, too. ok, anything i see that interests me!

i work on the road almost exclusively. just left a power plant we're building in ackerman, mississippi and am going to monck's corner, SC next week to work on another one for 3 years. that's why y'all don't see me at sumac much. i spend my few weekends at home bush hogging the yard.

on the bright side, if you have a wish list, let me know. i get into pawnshops all over the country and if i spot something i know someone wants, i'll send an email to let you know where it is. y'all have a good day! Keith

Reply author: TN-boy2
Replied on: 06/04/2005 03:52:49 AM
Chattanooga area. I have posted before, but only recently did I turn 21 and get the permit to be a slightly less oppressed person. (AKA Carry Permit.)

As for my collection, between a rent-a-cops pay, and college, my gun collection consists of very few items.

GMerr, I drive down Hamill road a good bit. Any chance you know that area?

Reply author: ramrod
Replied on: 06/04/2005 11:40:35 PM
Eatonton, GA. ( East central GA). I like anything that goes bang. And bows too.
And fishing.

Reply author: haw1960
Replied on: 06/05/2005 07:08:42 AM
Jasper TN. here. Had some bad health for some months, slowly getting better. Hey Tim, shoot me off an email and i`ll explain. Hey Deano, looks like you got your license, get ready to stay broke, its part of the game. I havent posted much, i lurke a lot. Havent been to a gun show since i saw you Tim over at Bob Popes last october i think. I have kinda slowed down in collecting the last few years, but just built me a bull barrel 10-22 and got my lr308 put back together with added gee gaws. I collect everything, wait, i bought everything i could see that was military, but have way more mosins than anything. That milsurp bug bites hard.

Reply author: parkssts
Replied on: 06/06/2005 1:38:34 PM
Live in Andersonville,TN (about 30 min. out of Knoxville). Work in Clinton,TN, and collect mostly semi-auto military style rifles.Just recently got bit by the FAL bug,also like AK's,SKS's, ETC. Have been thoroughly disappointed at the local gun shows as of late,Jacobs building and I75 expo center. Long time lurker, lots of good info on this site.

Reply author: JasonY
Replied on: 06/06/2005 5:43:53 PM
Howdy!

I live near Pulaski in Southern Tennessee. I just recently got my C&R and so far just have a Finn captured 91/30 Mosin, a Chinese T-53 Mosin and a Steyr "Budapest" M95. Also into antique tractors, horses and I collect ammo pouches also.

Jason

Reply author: TENNESSEEAN
Replied on: 06/06/2005 10:22:19 PM
Beautiful downtown Lyons Park, Tn. East Tenn, Tri-Cities area, we're still on some of the maps. Life long love of guns, inspired by my dad. Interested lately in Maks and long barreled S&W's. Got more Maks tha I care to admit to but still looking for a couple to add to the collection, esp. a 58 EG. Make the Tri-Cities and Knoxville shows regularly and shows in middle and west Tn. if I,m in the area and there's a show. Lately with Maks becoming harder to find in this area, ST must have them all, Mosins esp. Finn's have been following me home, interesting guns with a lot of history.

Reply author: Levi
Replied on: 06/07/2005 6:40:17 PM
Levi reporting in.

I live in beautiful Ringgold GA where the the world branches out.

I collect mainly Finn Mosins but I do have a growing collection of Enfields and a few Mausers from various countries. Lately I've been hunting WWII helmets and gear. Like a fever this millsurp bug has engulfed my life and burdened my family. But oh how I love it.

Reply author: bddill78
Replied on: 06/08/2005 10:46:36 PM
Hello,
I'm in Johnson City, TN. I've been interested in guns for a couple years now, and found myself gravitating towards milsurp due to attractive prices, the history attached to them, and the "cool" factor (I'm still impressed when I mount a grenade on my SKS). I'm a graduate student, so cost is my #1 criteria... I'm trying to be more of a generalist, buying a variety of guns, rather than collecting any model in particular. Maybe some day I'll get that WWII Garand, but for now I'm satisfied with Century U-Fixems.

I try to make it to the Kingsport gun show each time, and the Knoxville gun show about half the time.

Reply author: Gurn
Replied on: 06/12/2005 12:00:33 PM
Nashville, and collect anything I can get a good deal on or can afford at the time. Need to find somthing soon or will start having withdraw.

Reply author: hrman
Replied on: 06/12/2005 3:16:18 PM
i am in maryville tn and i collect Harrington & Richardson firearms and related items. i also collect US military firearms and flare guns from different countries. i have also started watching,listening and learning about maks and c&r firearms from folks here on the boards. i enjoy going to the shows to meet you folks and and learn a little even if i don,t find a new treasure. i quess my pride and joy is a browning 1922 that my dad brought back from germany after ww2. well, see at the shows- doug

Reply author: marshall
Replied on: 06/13/2005 07:49:52 AM
Hi Y'all,
I live on Signal Mtn. I don't collect old guns, but would if I had the funds. Don't have a Mak or cz52 yet, but might get one someday. I usually shoot at Prentice Cooper, but there is a little spot on Signal Mt I have been too, also. I have a Stevens/Savage 22 semi auto, and 4 handguns in 380, 9mm and 40. Pastor a Presbyterian Church in America congregation. Got my chp about 3 months ago. I do a website, too: http://www.mouseguns.com
See you around!
Marshall

Reply author: eaglewatch
Replied on: 06/14/2005 08:58:08 AM
Gainesville, Georgia...actually a little north of town. I carried 1911's for years, I guess due to the fact that's what I carried in the Army. In the last 7 or 8 years though, the old Detonics has been left at the house while one of my mak's goes with me. I love them, really cool little guns. Hey i like 'em all, most of the time I pick from a model 35, MAK, my Detonics or a model 19. There is always a mak somewhere in my bag or in the car.

Retired from 25 years government service, started my own business...doing the same thing, just better money! I travel the southeast....a lot around SC and Chattanooga, as well as GA. I'm usually at some of the shows around as well.When I'm not shooting, I'm on the lake here or working on my book. Hal

www.justiceforelaine.com (help solve this murder)
www.eaglewatchinvestigations.com

Reply author: Wolf1356
Replied on: 06/15/2005 09:34:30 AM
Live in Ringgold,Ga. Im in my 60s so I have collected for many years. Love the old military bolt actions. I dont get to shoot much anymore due to health problems. I just discovered this site. Didnt know it existed until I stumbled onto it. Hope to see some useful info on from time to time.
Wolf

Reply author: SlimTim
Replied on: 06/16/2005 1:15:06 PM
Thanks to everyone who has replied, especially those who've posted in this forum for the first time. It's neat to know more about the folks here.

If you've not replied to this post, please consider doing so. This forum is unique on gunboards in that it allows those of us in GA & TN to talk amongst ourselves, buy, sell, trade, tell of deals, shooting sessions, meets and gun shows in our area. I think it's a handy resource, but sadly it's not being utilized to it's full potential. Help all of us out by contributing your input!

SlimTim

Reply author: SMLE
Replied on: 06/20/2005 12:31:50 AM
Well I'm slightly out of area here butI used to live in East Tennessee and a lot of what is said and talked about I vaguely recognize. Until I moved to outside of Corinth Ms. about eight years ago I came down I-75 then I-24 over the mountains and got onto Alt 72 at S.pittsburg.(I love the Hammers store) five or six times a year for a long time. By the way where is this Legendary Mosin shop in Boaz? I had heard of it but did not know it was there. I assume this is the one with the boat loads of Mosins bought years back that the guy is slowly selling down? By the way be glad your gun shows are what the are. Everything here is a glorified flea market. Mil surps in shops unheard of. They all trade privately I have learned.

Reply author: Foxtrot351
Replied on: 06/20/2005 7:31:04 PM
Hi, I live in Dallas, Georgia. I've done a little trading with Slim Tim over the past year or two. I mainly collect K98 mausers, Enfields but have a few examples of various other C&R rifles. I like to shoot my guns so I don't usually look fo pristine collectables but rather ones in good working condition.I am partial to my G-1. I usually shoot at Johns Mountain when time allows.I have a fondness for Maks and frequently carry one of my Bulgies, but sometimes switch out for a CZ-52. I attend the Eastman Gwinnett and Cobb civic center shows when I can. My work carries me around the Southeast mostly.

Reply author: MPi-KM
Replied on: 06/21/2005 02:34:39 AM
I moved from Flori-duh to Knoxville,TN in November of 2004.Right now I've got a thing for Finnish Carcanos, but my interests seem to change every few months.I also have a big interest in East German militaria and weapons.I have a East German Makarov and AKM parts set that sooner or later I'll build.Hope to go to a range around here soon.

Reply author: Park Ranger
Replied on: 06/21/2005 2:36:58 PM
I currently reside in Benton, TN. My collecting interests are anything related to the Soviet/Warsaw Pact field, with a strong emphasis on collecting East German militaria. I also collect German WWII militaria as well. As far as firearms go, I focus primarily on Soviet arms.

Reply author: Pop
Replied on: 06/21/2005 10:16:40 PM
Hello all I live just west of Scottsboro Ala.I collect milsurp rifles I only collect mosins,smle carcanos mausers and any thing else I find at agood price. I enjoy restoring a rifle that has ben put to the saw and otherwise modified iI atend some of the showes in this areawith my son who post on this board with the user name Keithreid I have met Slim Tim and a few of the other at a couple of shows

Reply author: keithreid
Replied on: 06/22/2005 07:49:13 AM
smle, if you can find the factory outlets in boaz, right off of hwy 431, the shop is right across the railroad tracks. you can see it from the turn in to the outlet stores. he just cleaned all the mosin's out of the basement, too. y'all have a nice day! Keith

slimtim, ya done good. even got pop to type a post!

Reply author: Spasm
Replied on: 06/22/2005 3:15:14 PM
Atlanta, GA

Reply author: ScottB
Replied on: 06/22/2005 7:22:11 PM
Overpopulated Gwinnett county GA for me. Mostly do commie guns, except I also do some single action shooting and an occasional tactical match with AR, 1911 and Benelli.
Tokarev and varients are my favorite, but open to all east bloc and ChiCom military opportunities. Also some vestiges of my collecting past(US military, Jap, Czech,French-what was I thinking-, and snipers). Still working for a living, so don't make all the local events, but have enjoyed meeting and swapping with the forum members.

Reply author: rob1
Replied on: 07/27/2005 12:15:25 PM
Hey all, I'm outside Lewisburg, TN about 50 miles South of Nashville. Always been into guns, mostly milsurps and C&Rs mostly of WWII era, building FALs and such. Just getting my parking setup ready to go. Dont get nearly enough trigger time as I like (who does?)cant afford to feed em!

Reply author: MilSurpFan
Replied on: 07/27/2005 9:09:56 PM
I'm near Rockmart, GA.

Mosins, Mausers and Carcanos mostly. Others if they come within reach on payday! Bolt actions prefered.

Hey Tim, I didn't know about the range on 411. We'll have to meet up there one day. Also, we need to talk about Enfields.

Reply author: beachbumbob
Replied on: 07/28/2005 1:25:23 PM
Geez,

Seems like I'm the only one in the lowcountry. Savannah GA is my work home. I have a retirement home (haha) in Daytona Beach FL. Got re-married and new wife got me a second career, she couldn't stand me at home all day long with my "babie".

Any milsurp will do but I've had a thing for Enfields since I got my first one in 1962 for $12.31 which included 100 rounds of ammo on chargers.

If any of y'all get down this way give me a hollar.

Cheers,

Bob

Reply author: rob1
Replied on: 08/01/2005 7:44:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by beachbumbob

Geez,

Seems like I'm the only one in the lowcountry. Savannah GA is my work home. I have a retirement home (haha) in Daytona Beach FL. Got re-married and new wife got me a second career, she couldn't stand me at home all day long with my "babie".

Any milsurp will do but I've had a thing for Enfields since I got my first one in 1962 for $12.31 which included 100 rounds of ammo on chargers.

If any of y'all get down this way give me a hollar.

Cheers,

Bob

Figures I would read this now, I was in Daytona Beach two weeks ago!

Reply author: tankdriver
Replied on: 08/01/2005 8:23:17 PM
Well I guess I'm about the only one from "The Home of The King" (take your pick, Elvis, or Jerry Lawler) I work for a Forklift dealship. My offical title is Corporate Technical Trainer. We have branches in Memphis, Jonesboro AR, Jackson TN, Nashville TN, Knoxville TN, Crossville TN, Tupelo MS, Jackson MS. I travel around teaching and solving problems others can't, or won't fix. I have owned a WW2 Stuart Tank, and a M20 Armored car. I collect mainly WW2 weapons. I just started getting a few AK kits since they may really go up in value, I hope...

Reply author: eac1959
Replied on: 04/11/2006 11:14:25 AM
Just found the site a couple of weeks ago when I was researching a Hakim(yes I brought it home). I am in Metro Atlanta, (near where Eastman's gun shows are held at the Northeast GA trade center) I have been a firearms shooter/collector/nut since I was a kid in the 1960's and have a varied collection. I didn't realize I was into Milsurps until I had to go and buy another gunsafe just for them. Mausers,SMLE,CETME, MN's, M1 carbine, SKS. I tell my wife that I am now collecting "Battle rifles". I buy,sell,trade all sorts of stuff- whatever catchs my eye when I've worked alot of overtime.I shoot everything I own so I avoid "pristine,unissued" stuff but I'm always looking for the next interesting gun. I shoot in local indoor ranges and at the WMA ranges in Gainsville and Mansfield. Hope to meet all of you somewhere,sometime.

Reply author: Tuco
Replied on: 04/14/2006 3:14:39 PM
Knoxville Tn, My main hobby is bothering Slim Tim.

Reply author: Tuco
Replied on: 04/14/2006 3:17:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MPi-KM

I moved from Flori-duh to Knoxville,TN in November of 2004.Right now I've got a thing for Finnish Carcanos, but my interests seem to change every few months.I also have a big interest in East German militaria and weapons.I have a East German Makarov and AKM parts set that sooner or later I'll build.Hope to go to a range around here soon.

You know we also host a DDR board?
http://militaria.gunboards.com/

Reply author: Georgian
Replied on: 04/15/2006 09:12:37 AM
My name is Ed and I'm in Ringgold, Ga and am always trading.Give me a shout if you have something to trade.I'm always into some fantastic deals but usually I'm the seller.If you know what I mean.It's a hobby for me.Have sold to SlimTim and Bok and I hope they are happy with their guns.

Replied on: 04/15/2006 7:32:55 PM
I know I'm happy with the Commander I got from Georgian! Ed's a super nice guy. I'm hoping to see Bok's Remington Rand at the range soon. Georgian, you need to come shoot with us at Sumac some time!

SlimTim

Reply author: TennesseeRat
Replied on: 05/12/2006 10:44:15 PM
I keep a house in Pulaski, TN. But I am constantly all over the Southeast and Midwest.

Reply author: skinem
Replied on: 05/22/2006 1:18:41 PM
Skinem here...I live near Kelso, TN, Lincoln County, near Fayetteville, TN...a Kelso address and a Flintville phone number. That all tells you I live near nowhere, huh?
Never posted, but enjoy learning about anything that sends metal downrange. Haven't been officially collecting long, but have had guns for 37 years. I guess since I have more than 2 guns that means I have an arsenal, huh?
Glad to be here!

Reply author: wintermute
Replied on: 05/22/2006 3:23:39 PM
Oak Ridge/knoxville area

Replied on: 05/22/2006 11:19:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skinem

Skinem here...I live near Kelso, TN, Lincoln County, near Fayetteville, TN...a Kelso address and a Flintville phone number. That all tells you I live near nowhere, huh?
Never posted, but enjoy learning about anything that sends metal downrange. Haven't been officially collecting long, but have had guns for 37 years. I guess since I have more than 2 guns that means I have an arsenal, huh?
Glad to be here!

My brother in law lives in McBurg, just across the county line from Giles. His place is where I shoot.

Reply author: bigiron
Replied on: 05/25/2006 01:01:26 AM
Bigiron here. Nashville, TN. Just an old gun nut.

Replied on: 05/29/2006 7:27:40 PM
Tennessee Rat, Lincoln County is good gun country! SEnd me a private message and tell me who your brother in law is---may know him--this being Lincoln County, we may be related!

Replied on: 06/01/2006 10:12:34 PM
Skinem,

Tried to e-mail you but it kept getting kicked back. Send me an e-mail or PM.

Thanks.

Reply author: oughtsix
Replied on: 06/17/2006 4:28:30 PM
Hey there

Newbie here. I live near Cedartown, GA and I am looking for an outdoor public shooting range. Heard of one at John's Mountain in Floyd County, GA Any directions and info, prices, on this??

Love to shoot!!!!!!!

Thanks to all replies!!!!!!!

Replied on: 06/17/2006 7:59:08 PM
I'm no help to you, but I sent the map links to you on the other board!
Welcome to Gunboards!

Reply author: Rt Wing Conspirator
Replied on: 07/15/2006 8:41:05 PM
Use to live in Decatur/intown Atlanta but moved to Newport News Va. Am coming back though when house sells.

Reply author: Hillbilly
Replied on: 08/20/2006 12:49:31 PM
Hey all, I live in Harriman,TN. I am a native of Roane county,TN (Harriman,Rockwood,Kingston area). I bought my first Mosin in 98. I found Tuco and Vics site shortly after while trying to figure out what the thing was (LOL). Been collecting off and on ever since. I do most of my shooting at The Fairfield Glade Sportsmans Club in Crossville,TN with a twice a year trip to Knobb Creek shoot.

Reply author: Goose52
Replied on: 08/23/2006 7:18:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

I do most of my shooting at The Fairfield Glade Sportsmans Club in Crossville,TN ...

A coincidence, I live in California but have been scouting retirement locations in Tennessee and have been checking out the Fairfield Glade/Crossville area. I just exchanged emails with the Rifle/Pistol Mgr. at the FFG Sportsmans Club last week !

How do you like this range? How many benches for rifle?

Thanks,

Goose

Replied on: 08/23/2006 11:43:32 PM
I like it. There are two rifle and two pistol ranges.One range is a 150 yard with two benches and a 25 yard pistol.The other is the old range with 200 yard setup and three benches if i remember correctly (I usually dont go to that one).They are in the process of building a 100 yard covered rifle range at the club house.The old range is 2 miles down the road from the club and the current range is 200 yards down the road from the club house.It is a nice quiet place to go shootas in no one bothers you. Good people too.

Replied on: 08/23/2006 11:47:08 PM
Here is a link to the clubs web site Goose. http://www.ffgsc.com/

Replied on: 08/23/2006 11:59:19 PM
Thanks for the info Hillbilly. I had already been on their web site and knew that they were in the process of building the new rifle/pistol facility at the Shorty Barnes facility. In my email exchanges with one of the range honchos, I asked about how many positions that new line was going to have but he never gave me a number. Still, it doesn't sound like the place is crowded...

Aren't you closer to the big range at Oak Ridge ?

Anyway, maybe see you around there in a year or two after I escape from California !

Goose

Replied on: 08/24/2006 12:35:46 AM
Yeh but Oak ridge is too expensive for me . Fair field is less crowded and is $50.00 a year. Or it was when i joined last year anyway.

Replied on: 08/24/2006 12:40:15 AM
Yep - I was told it's still $50. An outstanding bargain ...

Goose

Reply author: stan741
Replied on: 08/24/2006 5:58:43 PM
Can a Georgian transplanted to South Carolina chime in?
I'm Stan and I live just south of Greenville,SC with the amazing Mz. Linda.I used to live in Cumming,Ga. and before that in Atlanta.
I'm 65 and been retired since 2002 and love it.
My chief claim to notoriety is that I'm the one who developed the LT-2 sight adjusters for Mosins and Enfields.
Enfields are my chief interest with Mosins running next.I am more of a shooter than a die hard collector.
Hey Tim,this is a good thread and you done good starting it.

Stan

Reply author: Kilroy was here
Replied on: 08/30/2006 12:39:08 AM
Hey, guys. I'm from Kingsport, Tennessee (Tri-Cities) up here in the northeastern part of the state.

I'm only 18 years old, but I've had a passion for military rifles since the the young age of four. I've been collecting with my dad for years but since turning 18 I sprouted out to my own collecting. I have 21 pre-1945 rifles and handguns as well as a nice assortments for those firearms. My favorite handgun would have to be my 1896 Mauser Broomhandle made in 1910. My favorite rifle is either my 1898 Krag or my 1871/88 Beaumont (I'm sorta' on a blackpowder rifle run right now).

I don't have one particular area that I collect out of. It's mainly of whatever comes my way at the moment. I'd really like to settle on one area, but that's tough to do.

I attend the Tri-Cities gun show at Meadow View, the Kingsport Civic Auditorium show, and sometimes the Knoxville show.

- Quinn

Reply author: eaglewatch
Replied on: 08/31/2006 08:36:21 AM
Hey Stan, well I'm in Gainesville, so if you cut up through Toccoa, that makes that part of SC pretty much NE GA. As a matter of fact, when i used to live in Franklin County you had to go to Greenville or Anderson to watch a movie !!

Reply author: bsa441
Replied on: 09/09/2006 09:49:08 AM
Well I have looked through all the posts and have found none for my area. I am in Evans Ga. about 12 miles west of Augusta. Columbia county. I did see a post from Lincoln co. and thats about the closest. Thought I would throw my info in although I am rarely able to have time to post much of anything. I do well with emails though. I have 3 jobs and the only good news is that one of them involves guns. I started a gun show selling business back in 1987. I was known as "the Enfield guy" I sold regularly at mostly Eastman shows till about 1995. I started restoring sporterized Enfields and that has now grown to my own business. I have probably dealt with some of ya'll before at shows, and even with my Web site. I recognize some of the names as customers. I am the proprietor of Evans Obsolete Screws and Enfield Repair. I Make and sell parts for Enfield rifles, but also will make anything I can reproduce from a sample part. About the only time I get to shoot anymore is test firing after barrel replacements etc. I welcome anyone who wants to contact me for any needs. www.customscrews.com
We need more folks from east Ga. Thanks Slimjim for adding this type of forum.

Reply author: bsa441
Replied on: 09/09/2006 09:52:32 AM
Well I should have proof read before I posted. Thanks Slim Tim for this forum. Slimjims I can get at the store.

Reply author: opacitym
Replied on: 09/09/2006 3:22:51 PM
Hey bsa441

Just put money down on a house in Evans today, PCS'ed into Ft. Gordon in Jan. Mostly Finn and Russian for me, but I have a bit of everyting as well (My wife reads that as "no ability to limit collection" :)

Thanks Tim and hope to see some of you at the shows or the range....

Reply author: pgpipefitter
Replied on: 10/25/2006 12:37:53 AM
Birmingham ala. met you at Oct 14 AGAC show come back down in Nov 25-26 Slim Great Southern Show Did you sell Your Nazi Marked MAB?

Reply author: bodybag
Replied on: 12/27/2006 8:08:27 PM
Hello All, from Dawsonville GA. New member here and still stumbling around. Prior military (USAF) and still with the DOD as a civiian. Hooked on Russian Maks (1 hi-cap 9, 1 8rd 9, 1 .380, and 1 CO2) Like to plink with 22's and am still bleeding over losing a Valmet 7.62 x39 (long story). Want to wave a howdy neighbor to Eaglewatch. Enjoy the site. Take care,RHS

Reply author: enfield03
Replied on: 01/04/2007 11:55:30 AM
I'm in Athens, TN and am a shooter first and a hunter second. I reload pistol, rifle and shotgun and collect whatever catches my eye. I shoot at the Chilhowee Rod and Gun Club in Athens.

Reply author: soddyshooter
Replied on: 01/07/2007 1:53:12 PM
Howdy, I'm here in soddy daisy tn. new to the site. Theres really alot of info around here.i,m a pretty avid hunter, (hog deer squirles and i'm into preditor calling. Did a little trading and ended up with a CETME sporter, that how I found the site, had to do a little tweeking to get it to work. this site really helped. Now I have a new passion, going to start fooling around with some bolt guns, m44 m96's and whatever tickles my fancy at the time. Been building a little shop to work in. well good chattin with ya'll,& looking forward to somemore.

Bob in SoddyDaisy

ps slim: thanks for the info on VOW, can believe I never new it was
there.

Replied on: 01/07/2007 3:09:57 PM
Welcome Soddyshooter. You'll have to come to the next Sumac get together. I bet you get down to Darr's in Red Bank quite often.

Reply author: soddyshooter
Replied on: 01/08/2007 4:49:57 PM
`

levi; your right about that, get over to darr's alot. mostly to give Jeff a hard time. Like I said, new to the site but would really like to start shooting more. Sumac sounds like a good time. Lord knows I did'nt get much shooting this hunting season.Maybe we can hook up and go to it.Pretty new to the computor/internet thing too, so yell at me when the next one is, and I'll be there. Thanks for the reply

Bob in SoddyDaisy

Reply author: CandRNut
Replied on: 01/21/2007 8:21:38 PM
I'm in Kingsport.

Replied on: 01/30/2007 6:34:34 PM
Made a trip to Tennessee 2 weeks ago to check out potential retirement locations. Bought a lot north of Crossville in Fairfield Glade. Looks like I will soon return to my family roots (my dad was born in west Tennessee). As Hillbilly mentioned in a post at the top of this page, there are two small ranges there. Small, but adequate .

Hillbilly - If you read this, send me an email (my address is in my profile) - I want to touch base with you about the FFG facilities.

Goose

Replied on: 01/30/2007 7:52:42 PM
Looking forward to seeing you at Knoxville gun shows perhaps, hope to learn more about FN49s too. When will you settle in, sooner, or later?

SlimTim

Replied on: 01/30/2007 8:46:25 PM
Hey SlimTim,

I figure I willl make the move in two years or less. I'll certainly be making the Knoxville gun shows whenever I settle in!

Goose

Replied on: 01/31/2007 9:05:52 PM
Goose52 glad to see you're moving towards God's country. I hope you can make a Sumac shoot in the near future. They are fun even if the evil puddle is not there.

Replied on: 01/31/2007 9:23:09 PM
Not sure I will be making any shoots in the near future - but may be back in TN in June/July to arrange construction of the new house ...

Let's see if I can make my escape from California in 2008 ...

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Goose

Reply author: Diego Menendez
Replied on: 06/09/2007 02:18:40 AM
Howdy 'yall'. I am located in Douglasville/Hiram Georgia.

19 years old, and an avid collector of the Lee Enfield!

Anyone want to meet up one day lemme know! I'm getting lonely at the range with these rifles!

Reply author: OldIron
Replied on: 06/19/2007 5:33:05 PM
I'm in Bartlett, TN, right on the outskirts of Memphis, and I shoot at MSSA, in Lakeland. I shoot a variety of firearms, from Flintlocks, Old West, to modern stuff.

Reply author: yancey
Replied on: 07/04/2007 7:42:06 PM
I live in Ringgold,i just found this site the other day.
I just got into the c&r thing about a year ago.
Man that milsurp bug has a real bite.

Reply author: M44 Collector
Replied on: 07/05/2007 1:30:35 PM
I live in the Manchester, GA area. The mil-surp addiction started for me a couple of years ago when a friend turned me on to the Mosin-Nagant. Now I have 8 of them and am always looking for more. I just recently got my first Makarov and I love it. Besides the Mosins, I mostly have Yugoslavian guns, bolt-action and a couple of SKS's.

Replied on: 07/05/2007 10:32:28 PM
Welcome to the boards yancey. Glad to see another member from the mighty metro of Ringgold. I'm sure you've found the local spots like Classic Pawn, North GA Gun Trader, and GOYY. Next time we all get together at Sumac you come on out and meet some local GB members. We always have a good time and even manage to shoot some especially if the mud hole is full. The Dalton show is just around the corner so I might see you there. Glad you found the site.

Replied on: 07/06/2007 2:00:54 PM
Saw pics of your Enfields on the Enfield forum:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=235204

Nice rifles!

Hope you might make one of our Sumac shoots sometime. The range is due north of you along US 411, just about at the TN border.

SlimTim

quote:
Originally posted by Diego Menendez

Howdy 'yall'. I am located in Douglasville/Hiram Georgia.

19 years old, and an avid collector of the Lee Enfield!

Anyone want to meet up one day lemme know! I'm getting lonely at the range with these rifles!

Reply author: DigTheDome
Replied on: 07/07/2007 6:01:20 PM
I am new to this website/board, and new to guns and shooting in general. I live in Bartow County, GA near Euharlee and Taylorsville. This past week I purchased my first rifle, a Ruger 10/22 with a stainless steel barrel and composite stock. I added a scope to it as well.

I plan on getting a 22LR handgun as well, but haven't decided whether it will be a revolver or pistol. I like the Ruger KMKIII512, but am also interested in a revolver. Don't know why I am so focused on Ruger, but I know I like feel and balance of the all stainless MKIII. I want to make that purchase at the upcoming show in Gwinnett County and then plan on getting comfortable with shooting my new aquisitions. We'll see how things go from there.

Replied on: 07/07/2007 10:17:12 PM
Ruger makes fine guns, most of them are over-built and very strong, like tanks. I'm fond of their revolvers, though I only have one. You've started out with some good choices.

SlimTim

Replied on: 07/07/2007 11:39:18 PM
I've got a Ruger P89 in 9mm. I love the gun but of course I love most guns in general. Anyway the Rugers are fine weapons across the board. Some referrer to the P89 as a brick with a trigger. Welcome to the boards DigTheDome.

Replied on: 07/10/2007 2:47:04 PM
Thanks SlimTim and Levi. I look forward to learning more about guns and shooting in general.

Replied on: 07/19/2007 5:23:07 PM
Well, I didn't get what I set out to get, but am happy w/my selection. I bought the Walther P-22 at the Gwinnett County Gun Show. There was quite a bit of stuff there, not yet sure what all I am looking at but it seemed to have quite a bit of stuff, and I went on Sunday after it all was picked over. I wanted a pistol, but would have settled for a revolver if I couldn't find the Ruger pistol I was looking for. The revolver was a used Taurus for about $279 which I thought was a good buy.

I also got some 30 round magazines for my 10/22 at half the price of what the local shop charges.

Reply author: MilSurpFan
Replied on: 08/14/2007 09:40:06 AM
DigTheDome, Have you been to the new range in Taylorsville? Sounds pretty convenient for you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.