Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Back in the 1950s Bob Tingle made some beautiful charcoal burners in Shelbyville, Indiana.

I got acquainted with Bob about '53 and bought one of his .44 single-shot pistols. He also made a beautiful walnut shoulder stock for them which I also got. The serial number on both was #25, as I recall. He has since passed on, as reported a year or so ago by Dan Shideler in Gun Digest The Magazine.

Today you still find the Italian-made replicas of his gun, even marked TINGLE in their ads, on their shipping boxes, etc..

I finally found one of Bob's originals and grabbed it. I'm still looking for my old #25.

One guy on another forum directed me to some great photos of Bob's BP rifles from that era.

Does anyone on this forum have any info on other Tingle guns which might be available?

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Silver Bullet member
759 Posts
Thats pretty cool! :cool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep! That's it. I saw that ad the other day and it started me thinking about Bob. However, Bob's pistols, the one's I saw at least, were NOT engraved. Nor did he use a metal forestock. His forestocks were all walnut with grain to match the grips.

I think I've got a pic in file of one of his fancy rifles. I'll dig around and see if I can find it to post here later.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Silver Bullet member
759 Posts
How do you load them?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, Joe! The term "charcoal burner" is kind of a pet name for muzzle-loading weapons. Just like this thread about black powder stuff is called Smoke Pole A "front stuffer" is another commonly used term.

The invention of smokeless powder changed a lot of things.

Best regards FFF

·
Silver Bullet member
759 Posts
Oh, okay...thats what I figured....never saw one before...very cool.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The "center fire" hammer style makes the modern day muzzleloaders look more up-to-date and are becoming more and more common. Back when Bob was building these it wasn't exactly a NEW design, but it certainly wasn't as common then as now.

And they look VERY much like a modern cartridge gun.

FFF

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
I don't have one of the pistols that you speak of, but I do have a small mortar that was built by Bob Tingle back in the 60's. Didn't know when I bought it that was where it came from, until a friend of mine showed me a 1962 Shooting times magazine that had a story about Bob Tingle in it. He and his shooting buddies (Meltzers Muzzleteers) put on a show for the Shooting Times author Slim Ackerman. He made the mortar from the crankshaft of an old steam engine that was used at a sawmill. Shows several pictures of the mortars that they had made, and mine is made the same way, with a gear drive in the rear for elevation adjustment. Has a trip hammer that sets off a musket cap to fire the mortar. He named them Thundermugs.
I take it is the same fellow anyway, it says he was located in Shelbyville, Indiana.
If you would like to see a picture of it, I'll try to get out to the garage tomorrow and snap one.
Also have another Shooting Times magazine that shows Bob Tingles new Mountain Rifle, nice looking rifle, with the price of $92.50.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Stuffy! Very happy to hear from you! I love your kind of stories. Though I wasn't DEEPLY involved in the BP shooting over in Shelbyville, I did meet Bob and did meet Mr. Meltzer (Meltzer's Muzzleloaders). I understand it was on his farm's shooting range that the NMLRA got its start, later, as it grew, it moved its HQ to Freedom, Indiana.

I never saw one of his mortars but can imagine him making all kinds of BP goodies. We moved out of the area very shortly after I bought my pistol from him.

I would greatly appreciate MORE info from you about those magazine articles. I need to know the magazine title, and date (month/year) of publication. I find that type of documentation for sale on eBay eventually. Couple of times I've had to buy an entire year of a mag just to get one page in one month's edition!!! (I didn't say I was smart, but I AM dedicated to learning about my guns.)

Also, you mention Shooting Times magazine. Back when it first started (large tabloid size) I submitted some gun related cartoons to them and their other magazine about bow hunting. I had a few of mine published in those mags back in the '50s.

Looking forward to that info.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
Hi Stuffy! Very happy to hear from you! I love your kind of stories. Though I wasn't DEEPLY involved in the BP shooting over in Shelbyville, I did meet Bob and did meet Mr. Meltzer (Meltzer's Muzzleloaders). I understand it was on his farm's shooting range that the NMLRA got its start, later, as it grew, it moved its HQ to Freedom, Indiana.

I never saw one of his mortars but can imagine him making all kinds of BP goodies. We moved out of the area very shortly after I bought my pistol from him.

I would greatly appreciate MORE info from you about those magazine articles. I need to know the magazine title, and date (month/year) of publication. I find that type of documentation for sale on eBay eventually. Couple of times I've had to buy an entire year of a mag just to get one page in one month's edition!!! (I didn't say I was smart, but I AM dedicated to learning about my guns.)

Also, you mention Shooting Times magazine. Back when it first started (large tabloid size) I submitted some gun related cartoons to them and their other magazine about bow hunting. I had a few of mine published in those mags back in the '50s.

Looking forward to that info.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Don't have a scanner anymore, so I took some pictures with my camera, hope they come out.
The Shooting Times issue's are Feb. 1962 for the mortar, and Oct. 1962 for the rifle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again Stuffy! Have made note of dates and will start watching eBay now for those particular Shooting Times.

Also, I grabbed your photos and am gonna' now try to enlarge and lighten 'em up a bit. Back shortly. If I am successful with your pics, is it okay if I include one of 'em here for EVERYONE to see?

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
Thanks again Stuffy! Have made note of dates and will start watching eBay now for those particular Shooting Times.

Also, I grabbed your photos and am gonna' now try to enlarge and lighten 'em up a bit. Back shortly. If I am successful with your pics, is it okay if I include one of 'em here for EVERYONE to see?

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
I have no problem with it, work your magic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stuffy I found Oct. '62 and left bid, asked seller if he has the Feb. issue as well. Here's other 1962 issues up on eBay right now: Jan., May, June, July (2 of), Aug., Sept., Nov., and Dec. (2)....

October 1962 is the MAIN one since it's about the rifle.

I tried to clean up your pics. About the only one that came up half way decent was the cartoon, which I believe is Bob on horseback in pioneer costume? The rifle pic not too bad so will insert it here for everyone to see it larger and clearer, hopefully.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another Tingle Rifle

Found another Tingle rifle photo. Beautiful gun!

This one is an underhammer with additional barrel. No idea what it sold for then or now, but it's gotta' be worth a small fortune now!

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
Went to the garage and took one quick picture of my mortar, sure is cold out there, about 20 degree's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice to see info on Tingle

I have one Tingle pistol now and have a line on buying a second. My Tingle is different from the one in the first photo as it is a steel frame, not brass. It was well used when I abtained it but it still shoots nice. Old owner built two other barrels, one 40 cal 16" long and one 410 smooth bore 18" long. I have only shot the 16" 40 cal and it groups about 3 inches high at 25 yds. Have yet to shoot the orginal 7" barrel. steg49

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since my last posting, I've run across another pistol, with steel reciever like yours, steg49. And VERY recently there was a Tingle rifle, the plain one which kinda' matched these pistols, offered on either GunBroker or AuctionArms. Can't remember which.

So now we know, they DO show up once in a great while. Mine is serial number 51. What is the sn on yours, if you don't mind my asking?

Still watching for more...

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine is # 414, I will try to obtain the second one on Wedn., I haven't seen it but I was told it was also in the 400's. Be nice if it's close to my other. I'll let you know when I abtain it. Steg49

1 - 20 of 75 Posts