Gunboards Forums banner

Where are the 30rd FAL or L1A1 mags?

12K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  DYNOMIKE 
#1 ·
I have been everywhere looking, does anyone know where I might find one?

#6 ·
Inch or Metric

Are you looking for inch pattern or metric 30 rd. magazines or both?

Bill

#9 ·
I ordered four inch pattern from DS the day after the election. Then I heard nothing. Four days ago they announced to me in an e-mail that the item is no longer carried.

#10 ·
Curved inch pattern 30 round magazine are British L4 series BREN gun magazines that also work in the L1/C1/L2/C2 rifles. Straight 30 round inch pattern magazines are Canadian and were used in the C2 series rifles.

#12 ·
30 round mags: NOT FAL

The 30 round mag phenomenon is not an FAL item. It was designed for use with 7,62 Converted Bren Guns and heavy-barreled L2/C2 ARs.
Makers of Curved 30s are (Inch) Britain and Straight 30s (Inch) Canada and Australia.

The Australians as well, used the 30 on SF-use in Vietnam for forward scouts ( an L1A1, fitted with a 30 round mag and a L2A1 selector switch, for full on rapid fire on Contact...a 20 or 30 round burst of 7,62 does wonders as covering fire for the rest of the patrol. ( recounted by a vet with three tours on SF duty). The rifles concerend were also "shortened" (Barrel reduced to minimum compatible with gas operation.).

IN Australia, the 30s were delivered in modified Bren magazine chests.( as in Britain).

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

#15 ·
While NOT an expert I'll share what I "think" I know..

Curved Mags are Converted Bren mags..

Straight are true FAL Mags and while they may have been for the C1A2 they are still very much FAL mags & were used by a number of countries including South Africa/Rhodesia.. It's easy to tell as they look exactly like 20 Rd FAL Mags only longer..
All my 30 Round mags are STRAIGHT, function perfectly & some still have the Rhodie paint that was applied to them...

#17 · (Edited)
NO .303 BREN gun magazine were ever converted to 7.62 mm NATO! ALL British 30 round L4 series magazines were new made especialy for 7.62 mm NATO! The curve on the .303 BREN gun magazine IS FAR GREATER THEN ON THE L4 MAGAZINES!

#18 ·
My comments are not directed at a Conversion from .303-7.62, but a Conversion from the Bren to the FAL..
While I have no way to confirm this it is the usual and accepted explaination..
Since I can't dispute it, I have no reason to believe it's not true and will continue to do so..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.