Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Bought this lovely bolt. 8 x 57. CG. No date though and is it a small or large ring ? Sorry for the newly q.s I have done quite a bit of looking online and cannot find any thing with this serial and mkgs. Crown with C yes..but no date...HK in front of serial 126341. Any help appreciates. Fell in love with a right handed bolt gun !!!! Lefty mike. Also 17 notches carved into bottom stock...

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,929 Posts
My experience with Swedes is if it cocks on closing it's a small ring Mauser. I know Husqvarna made many small rings in 8X57 for the civilian market but I don't think they had a thumb cutout. This was an effort to strengthen the small ring receivers in order to take the larger 8X57 round. Carl Gustafs probably had a spare receiver and someone made an 8X57 out of it. HK was Heige Kolthoff the army inspection officer from April 1912 to Feb. 1923.

I know an m94/m96 receiver with the two bolt lugs is pretty strong but I'd be a little leary of putting some hot 8X57 like Sellior & Bellot through it. Might stick with a much tamer round like PPU.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Given the HR inspector stamp (not trying to be rude sheep dawg, just younger eyes!) and 126xxx range serial yours is a 1903 produced rifle at CG but as to when it was sporterized/converted, no clue. I know there were some other manufacturers outside of Husqvarna like Stiga and Vapen Depoten Falun that used military receivers but these are typically sanitized in my experience. More pictures of the whole rifle would be appreciated and help but more than likely my guess is that this rifle was converted by the individual personally or via the mail order gun conversion jobs offered in the old Falun catalogs I’ve seen. I’m sure our far more knowledgeable members will be able to help more than I have but that’s my $0.02.

·
Registered
547 Posts
More and better pictures would be helpful.

I was thinking it might be one of the Falun conversions, too.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,980 Posts
I will move the thread to the Swedish Civilian Firearms Forum & see what they can add to the discussion .

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,929 Posts
Given the HR inspector stamp (not trying to be rude sheep dawg, just younger eyes!)
Is it HR? OP says it's HK. Can't really see it well enough on my phone.

Curious to see what kind of stock it's sitting in. More pictures please.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is it HR? OP says it's HK. Can't really see it well enough on my phone.

Curious to see what kind of stock it's sitting in. More pictures please.
Yeah it's HR. Look closely and you can see the top branch of what may be the "K" starts to curl in. Additionally, HR was the inspector in 1903 which is when the serial number of this particular example puts it. Lots of finish wear does make it hard though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More pics! NB Floorplate of mag has crown but looks like new....rest of gun, she's been used but loved. Not SPEC OF PITTIng nor rust. Foresite is grooved for hood. HR, HK, cool. thanks for all the input gents. Any worries loading handloads for this old girl within reasonable limits?
20210511_193643.jpg
20210511_193731.jpg
20210511_193735.jpg
20210511_193747.jpg
20210511_193804.jpg
20210511_193643.jpg
20210511_193731.jpg

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,980 Posts
Looks like the previous Swedish owner may have knocked off 17 moose with that rifle , unless notched in Canada ?

I like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's been re barreled, not re chambered.
Is that one of the TradeEx sporters?
Wasn t sure because of the Swede mkgs 8 x 57 S and CG etc...or did they use Gustaf barrels when refurbing...not traded.. auctionhouse switchers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts