Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are we going to do when the military surplus stuff finally dries up at our favorite dealers?

I guess we always can rely on places like Allens Armory & Empire arms to always have great finds for us.

How can the surplus market be made better for us and the dealers it can be a win / win situation for all of us. :cool:

I'm hoping the others will get into ammo more and offer better prices. There's more profits in volumne think about it. Maybe specials for repeat buyers or club members. Its time to regroup and look to the future now don't wait like the big 3 did.

Or will all of us old farts hang around the gun shows and shooting ranges like i see them at the antique gun shows and BS about the good old days.

So what do you think our future of this sport holds for us?

· Gold Bullet member
11,770 Posts
The issue is this: there are LOTS of old milsurps around the world that would be great to import, but it's a political struggle.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
I really think we are nearing the end of the major imports. These will always be surplus arms for sale around the world, it'll just be select fire stuff that we can't own. I'm sure Soviet era refurb stuff will come in for a while yet, as well as smaller batches of well used stuff from other parts of the world, but it will be less and less as time goes on.
So in my estimation collectors will have to turn more and more to the secondary market to find new and interesting things.

· Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,534 Posts
There will always be military surplus. Stuff is always getting older, and always being replaced with newer stuff.

It's like saying, "What if we run out of old people?"

Not gonna happen. :)

· Registered
759 Posts
With the economy headed the way it is, be looking at the trader and online auctions for stuff. Lots of stuff coming out of the safes that I haven't seen in years.
Yeah, some people buy things and never use them. Let us put that stuff to some good use!

· Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
There will always be military surplus. Stuff is always getting older, and always being replaced with newer stuff.

It's like saying, "What if we run out of old people?"

Not gonna happen. :)
That might be true, but only to a point. The military is no longer issuing bolt action rifles as standard issue. The automatic/semi-automatic rifles of today are not nearly as likely to see the light of day in the collector's market. That will severly limit future options in collecting.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
The secondary market will always turn up a few gems. We'll all have to look a little harder, but they will be there. We all pass on sometime, and our collections will end up on the market sooner or later.

The issue of ammo is a bit more pressing to me. If ammo imports become more restricted, we're going to have to depend on handloading or commercial ammo. I've been handloading for about two years now, and I do more and more of it as time goes by. It's a rewarding hobby in itself. One is allowed to make quality, non-corrosive rounds for a fraction of the cost of commercial loads.

One other aspect of handloading, is that I've been loading for rifles that previously seldom, or never made it to the range. I've been reforming brass for my T99 Arisaka that I bought about 8 years ago. Turns out, that rifle is surprisingly accurate. Obviously, I couldn't wait for surplus ammo to turn up, and commercial rounds were very expensive. I think a major reason many of us are in this hobby to begin with is because milsurps are generally affordable to shoot. Few would bother with a bargain milsurp if the only available ammo is $40-50 a box of 20.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.