Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Since the above post showed a very nice example of a 1907 Chatellerault, I thought I'd add a pic of a recent acquisition of mine of the same type of gun. It is a 1912 made gun and in excellent condition. I have several strippers for it, but haven't taken it out to shoot yet since it was mssing the firing pin. It is a fascinating design with some modern features like a fairly quickly removable barrel, and an adjustable rate of fire device that is the usual hydraulic system popular at the time. Of course, the rack and pinion arrangement to reverse the motion of the piston to operate the action is nuts, but well done!
An interesting feature of the receiver is that the rear box section receiver separates from the front bronze barrel housing by removal of the forward pin at the top center of the receiver. Omce the cross pin is removed, the two parts will separate, but are extremely well mated and are a tight friction fit. Extremely high quality machining, fabrication and fitting between these two main components and in all the other parts of the gun.
Note that the gun in the museum is missing the recoil spring which is supposed to be around the piston at the front end behind the gas port block. Also appears to be missing the original front sight.
Interesting variation in the construction of the upper part of the tripod as well, with the pressed metal elevation wheel rather than the aluminum wheel on the later tripods. I have a couple 1915 dated tripods and both have the aluminum elevation wheel.

Bob Naess
black River Militaria CII

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,216 Posts
Very likely the gun behind the St. Etienne is a French mitrailleuse of one kind or another, a multi-barreled crank-operated gun.

M

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
In Paris the is the "museum de liberation" is a must see from what I have heard. Is it about the French Resistance in WWII.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello,

the machinegun behind the 1907 weapon is an APX mod. 1895 manufactured by the Arsenal of Puteaux. It is basically a crank-operated 7-barrel gun chambered in 8x50R Lebel.

Cheers,

JFL

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know I visited this museum last time I was in Paris, but honestly I can't recall much of it, exept for some US GI displays. The Musee des Invalides' collections will stagger you in comparison. Some of the coolest things there are the Napoleonic cannon on the second floor balcony. Several have their barrel ends bent/creased by enemy cannonball hits. There is also a French Heavy Cavalryman's metal breatplate with a cannister ball hole right through the center. If I recall correctly it came from the Battle of Waterloo.

·
Silver Bullet member
356 Posts
You know I visited this museum last time I was in Paris, but honestly I can't recall much of it, exept for some US GI displays. The Musee des Invalides' collections will stagger you in comparison. Some of the coolest things there are the Napoleonic cannon on the second floor balcony. Several have their barrel ends bent/creased by enemy cannonball hits. There is also a French Heavy Cavalryman's metal breatplate with a cannister ball hole right through the center. If I recall correctly it came from the Battle of Waterloo.
I've visited Musee des Invalides a couple times. It's a must stop when in Paris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts